* Customize group, strange behaviour of group org export latex
@ 2013-11-08 20:13 Rasmus Rempling
From: Rasmus Rempling @ 2013-11-08 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have a question about latex export option and its customization.

If I browse the org export latex group directly after opening emacs and
a .org file the list only give Option Org Export and it looks like this
(observe that I have not done latex export yet:
    | [ ]-- Group Org Export XML
     | [-]-\ Group Org Export LaTeX
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Default Packages Alist
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Packages Alist
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export With Tex Macros
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export With Latex Fragments
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Default Class
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Classes
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Emphasis Alist
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Title Command
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Import Inbuffer Stuff
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Date Format
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Todo Keyword Markup
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Timestamp Markup
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Timestamp Keyword Markup
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Tables Verbatim
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Tables Centered
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Tables Column Borders
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Low Levels
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex List Parameters
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Verbatim Wrap
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Listings
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Listings Langs
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Remove From Headlines
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Image Default Option
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Inline Image Extensions
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Coding System
     |  | [-]-\ Group Org Export LaTeX
     |  |  |  `--- Option Org Export Pdf Remove Logfiles
     |  |  `--- Option Org Latex To Pdf Process
     | [-]-\ Group Org Export LaTeX
     |  |  `--- Option Org Export Pdf Remove Logfiles
     | [+]-- Group Org Export ASCII

However, if I do one latex export, a group of Option Org Latex Classes
is added to the list, then the list looks like this:

     | [ ]-- Group Org Export XML
     | [-]-\ Group Org Export LaTeX
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Default Packages Alist
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Packages Alist
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export With Tex Macros
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export With Latex Fragments
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Default Class
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Classes
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Emphasis Alist
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Title Command
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Import Inbuffer Stuff
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Date Format
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Todo Keyword Markup
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Timestamp Markup
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Timestamp Keyword Markup
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Tables Verbatim
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Tables Centered
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Tables Column Borders
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Low Levels
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex List Parameters
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Verbatim Wrap
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Listings
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Listings Langs
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Remove From Headlines
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Image Default Option
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Inline Image Extensions
     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Coding System
     |  | [+]-- Group Org Export LaTeX
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex To Pdf Process
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Default Class
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Classes
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Inputenc Alist
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Title Command
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Toc Command
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex With Hyperref
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Format Headline Function
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Footnote Separator
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Active Timestamp Format
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Inactive Timestamp Format
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Diary Timestamp Format
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Image Default Option
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Image Default Width
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Image Default Height
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Default Figure Position
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Inline Image Rules
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Link With Unknown Path Format
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Default Table Environment
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Default Table Mode
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Tables Centered
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Tables Booktabs
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Table Caption Above
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Table Scientific Notation
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Text Markup Alist
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Format Drawer Function
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Format Inlinetask Function
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Listings
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Listings Langs
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Listings Options
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Minted Langs
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Minted Options
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Logfiles Extensions
     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Remove Logfiles
     |  |  `--- Option Org Latex Known Errors
     | [+]-- Group Org Export LaTeX
     | [+]-- Group Org Export ASCII

My questions are:
Do you get the same behaviour?
I have not been able to deduce the reason for this behaviour, ?
If I want to add a class should I do this in the (Option Org Export
Latex Classes) or in (Option Org Latex Classes) or in both?

/rasmus

* Re: Customize group, strange behaviour of group org export latex
@ 2013-11-09 17:12 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-11-09 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rasmus,

On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 09:13:50PM +0100, Rasmus Rempling wrote:

> I have a question about latex export option and its customization.
>
> If I browse the org export latex group directly after opening emacs and a
> .org file the list only give Option Org Export and it looks like this

 [...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

> However, if I do one latex export, a group of Option Org Latex Classes is
> added to the list, then the list looks like this:
>
>     | [-]-\ Group Org Export LaTeX
>     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Default Packages Alist
>     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Packages Alist
>     |  |  |--- Option Org Export With Tex Macros
>     |  |  |--- Option Org Export With Latex Fragments
>     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Default Class
>     |  |  |--- Option Org Export Latex Classes

I believe this comes from the Org shipped with your version of Emacs.
What is your Emacs version?  What does org-version tell you *before* you
load Org or open an .org file?  I bet it is 7.xx or older.

>     |  | [+]-- Group Org Export LaTeX
>     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex To Pdf Process
>     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Default Class
>     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Classes

This is the variable you should customise.

> My questions are:
> Do you get the same behaviour?
> I have not been able to deduce the reason for this behaviour, ?
> If I want to add a class should I do this in the (Option Org Export Latex
> Classes) or in (Option Org Latex Classes) or in both?

For more details, see here: <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html>

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Customize group, strange behaviour of group org export latex
@ 2013-11-11  9:32   ` Rasmus Rempling
From: Rasmus Rempling @ 2013-11-11  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I believe this comes from the Org shipped with your version of Emacs.
> What is your Emacs version?  What does org-version tell you *before* you
> load Org or open an .org file?  I bet it is 7.xx or older.

Before loading an org-file the versions are:
GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10), Org-mode
version 8.2.2 (release_8.2.2-181-gf31eb4

and after loading an org-file
GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10), Org-mode
version 8.2.2 (release_8.2.2-181-gf31eb4

I get the strange behaviour with this versions. And I cant see why this
would be an issue.

But of course if I exclude the load path to the git version in my .emacs I
get (before and after loading an org-file):
GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10), Org-mode
version 6.33x.

Are you referring to that the version 6.33 is interfering with the 8.2.2
version, even though I am loading version 8.2.2 in my .emacs?

> >     |  | [+]-- Group Org Export LaTeX
> >     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex To Pdf Process
> >     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Default Class
> >     |  |  |--- Option Org Latex Classes
>
> This is the variable you should customise.

Tank you!

@ 2013-11-11 10:30     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-11-11 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Rasmus,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 09:32:06AM +0000, Rasmus Rempling wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > I believe this comes from the Org shipped with your version of Emacs.
> > What is your Emacs version?  What does org-version tell you *before* you
> > load Org or open an .org file?  I bet it is 7.xx or older.
>
> Before loading an org-file the versions are:
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10), Org-mode
> version 8.2.2 (release_8.2.2-181-gf31eb4
>
> and after loading an org-file
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10), Org-mode
> version 8.2.2 (release_8.2.2-181-gf31eb4

Org is often loaded before opening any .org files.  This depends on your
setup (i.e. your init file).  In your init file if you do something
like:

  (require 'org)
  (my-custom-stuff)

Org is already loaded by the time Emacs starts.

> I get the strange behaviour with this versions. And I cant see why this
> would be an issue.
>
> But of course if I exclude the load path to the git version in my .emacs I
> get (before and after loading an org-file):
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10), Org-mode
> version 6.33x.
>
> Are you referring to that the version 6.33 is interfering with the 8.2.2
> version, even though I am loading version 8.2.2 in my .emacs?

Yes.  This version of Org mode has variables that are not present in the
latest Org.  So in the customise menu you see a mix of all.  You can
verify this by doing `C-h v org-export-latex-classes RET'.  The help
buffer should tell you which file defines the variable; if I am right,
it should point to the Org bundled with Emacs.

There is an expreimental recipe by Achim to kill these deprecated
variables.  You can find it here:

<https://github.com/suvayu/.emacs.d/blob/master/kill-old-org.el>

Note that the above snippet should be loaded before you load the latest
Org: see lines 16-18 in

<https://github.com/suvayu/.emacs.d/blob/master/init.el>

Hope this helps,

--