* org-agenda-files defvar directory "evaluation" ?
@ 2013-06-07 16:16 'Mash
From: 'Mash @ 2013-06-07 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org

Sorry not quite sure how to phrase the problem in the subject line there.

I have the following setup in my .emacs ...

(defvar org-dir "/home/mash/read/org/")

And use it around such as ...

(setq org-directory org-dir)
(setq org-default-notes-file (concat org-dir "mash.org"))

Now I understand that you can specify a directory such as ...

(setq org-agenda-files '("/home/mash/read/org/"))

But how would I do this with the variable?

(setq org-agenda-files '(org-dir))
(setq org-agenda-files '(,(org-dir))

Any ideas as I would like to use it in my capture templates too ...

(setq org-capture-templates
      '(
	("t" "Test" entry (file+headline (concat org-dir "test.org" "test")
	 "* %?")
        ))

Many thanks,

'Mash

* Re: org-agenda-files defvar directory "evaluation" ?
@ 2013-06-10 11:29 ` 'Mash
From: 'Mash @ 2013-06-10 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Org

Resolved this via stackoverflow.

(setq org-agenda-files (list org-dir))

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17020119/org-mode-org-agenda-files-defvar-directory-evaluation/17021834

Quoting 'Mash <mashdot@toshine.net>:

> Sorry not quite sure how to phrase the problem in the subject line there.
>
> I have the following setup in my .emacs ...
>
> (defvar org-dir "/home/mash/read/org/")
>
> And use it around such as ...
>
> (setq org-directory org-dir)
> (setq org-default-notes-file (concat org-dir "mash.org"))
>
> Now I understand that you can specify a directory such as ...
>
> (setq org-agenda-files '("/home/mash/read/org/"))
>
> But how would I do this with the variable?
>
> (setq org-agenda-files '(org-dir))
> (setq org-agenda-files '(,(org-dir))
>
> Any ideas as I would like to use it in my capture templates too ...
>
> (setq org-capture-templates
>       '(
> 	("t" "Test" entry (file+headline (concat org-dir "test.org" "test")
> 	 "* %?")
>         ))
>

> Many thanks,
>
> 'Mash

'to life is doxology | http://toshine.org

* Re: org-agenda-files defvar directory "evaluation" ?
@ 2013-06-10 13:26   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-06-10 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

'Mash <mashdot@toshine.net> writes:

> Resolved this via stackoverflow.
>
> (setq org-agenda-files (list org-dir))

Equivalently

  (setq org-agenda-files `(,org-dir))

That's a backquote (on a US keyboard, it's the key to the left of the
1 key in the top row), not a normal quote. See

  (info "(elisp) Backquote")

The (list org-dir) form is quite readable here, but when things get
more complicated, the backquote form tends to be more readable than
manufacturing list structure by hand.

--
Nick

* Re: org-agenda-files defvar directory "evaluation" ?
@ 2013-06-10 14:00     ` 'Mash
From: 'Mash @ 2013-06-10 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks,

I did use a comma to evaluate the variable but without the backtick
which I believed caused that "old style backticks" warning.