From: Michael Strey <mstrey@strey.biz>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Trigger org-capture window using linux shortcut key
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 09:10:44 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Jackin,

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 06:40:39AM +0000, Jackin wrote:
>       I am wondering if it is possible to start a org-capture window
> (when not within emacs) using a shortcut key. Org-protocol allows this
> to be done from a web browser or adobe reader which is very useful. But
> I am thinking of a more general solution, for triggering a org-capture
> window from any where in Linux -> type in something and -> C-c c-c.
>
>      Any ideas or solutions? Thanks in advance.

I've implemented this behaviour for my Xmonad desktop.  The solution
consists of two parts

1. The configuration of a shortcut calling a shell script in the Xmonad
configuration file .xmonad/xmonad.hs

2. A shell script simulating the keystrokes to change to the virtual
desktop were my Emacs lives and calling org-capture.

#+BEGIN_SRC shell
#!/bin/sh

xdotool key Super+m 7
emacsclient -e '(org-capture)'