* Export Org-mode content to Reveal.js presentations
@ 2013-05-03 12:48 Yujie Wen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Yujie Wen @ 2013-05-03 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  I'd like to introduce a new Org-Mode exporter, Org-reveal, that exports
Org-mode contents to Reveaj.js presentations.

  Reveal.js is a web-based presentation framework, with beautiful 3-D
effects and 2-D slides arrangements. The original sample illustration can
be found at http://lab.hakim.se/reveal-js/#/.

  With Org-reveal, you can easily exports your Org documents to Reveal.js
presentations. A sample presentation created by Org-reveal can be found at
http://naga-eda.org/home/yujie/org-reveal/.

  Org-reveal is hosted on https://github.com/yjwen/org-reveal. Should you
have any suggestion or bug-report, please contact me yjwen.ty AT gmail DOT
com.

Thanks and regards,
Yujie

* Re: Export Org-mode content to Reveal.js presentations
@ 2013-05-03 14:23 ` Rasmus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rasmus @ 2013-05-03 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yujie Wen <yjwen.ty@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
>   I'd like to introduce a new Org-Mode exporter, Org-reveal, that exports
> Org-mode contents to Reveaj.js presentations.
>
>   Reveal.js is a web-based presentation framework, with beautiful 3-D
> effects and 2-D slides arrangements. The original sample illustration can
> be found at http://lab.hakim.se/reveal-js/#/.
>
>   With Org-reveal, you can easily exports your Org documents to Reveal.js
> presentations. A sample presentation created by Org-reveal can be found at
> http://naga-eda.org/home/yujie/org-reveal/.
>
>   Org-reveal is hosted on https://github.com/yjwen/org-reveal. Should you
> have any suggestion or bug-report, please contact me yjwen.ty AT gmail DOT
> com.

Both sets of slides look amazing!  Thanks for proving this exporter.

Will you distribute it via org-contrib or org eventually?

One (lazy) question: does it support MathJax as standard Org HTML?

Again, thanks!

–Rasmus

--
Enough with the bla bla!

* Re: Export Org-mode content to Reveal.js presentations
@ 2013-05-03 20:09 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-05-03 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yujie Wen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yujie Wen <yjwen.ty@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
>   I'd like to introduce a new Org-Mode exporter, Org-reveal, that exports
> Org-mode contents to Reveaj.js presentations.

This looks really interesting.  So many choices, so little time... :(
I really like the ability to see the zoomed out view of the set of
slides as well as the L/R and U/D paradigm.  I can see using the latter
to have detail that may be missed in a short talk but included in a
longer version of the same talk.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0.2-68-g40635b

* Re: Export Org-mode content to Reveal.js presentations
@ 2013-05-06  4:22   ` Yujie Wen
From: Yujie Wen @ 2013-05-06  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, Rasmus,

  Org-Reveal is now updated for displaying MathJax, as the HTML exporter
does, except that the MathJax.org server is used instead of Orgmode.org
server.

  Please check the updated sample illustration:
http://naga-eda.org/home/yujie/org-reveal/#/4/4
  :)

@ 2013-05-06  5:10   ` Yujie Wen
From: Yujie Wen @ 2013-05-06  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, Eric,

  The same feeling of me, so I wrote an exporter for Reveal.js. Hope you
can enjoy it.

Thanks
Yujie

@ 2013-05-06  8:36     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-05-06  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Yujie,

>   Org-Reveal is now updated for displaying MathJax, as the HTML exporter
> does, except that the MathJax.org server is used instead of Orgmode.org
> server.

Out of curiosity: why?

>   Please check the updated sample illustration:
> http://naga-eda.org/home/yujie/org-reveal/#/4/4

That's so cool!  I want to write a presentation now, but unfortunately
I haven't got anything to present at the moment.

I like this engine as lot 'cause of its "battery included"-ness.
E.g. it just 'looks nice' and has the cool dimensional properties that
Eric mentioned.

Thanks again for this, it looks great!

–Rasmus

--
m-mm-mmm-mmmm bacon!

* Re: Export Org-mode content to Reveal.js presentations
@ 2013-05-06  8:48       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-05-06  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org Mode, Jason Dunsmore

On 6 mei 2013, at 10:36, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:

> Hi Yujie,
>
>>  Org-Reveal is now updated for displaying MathJax, as the HTML exporter
>> does, except that the MathJax.org server is used instead of Orgmode.org
>> server.
>
> Out of curiosity: why?

I see that Mathjax now recommends use of its server.  When we started using MathJax, they asked users to install their own versions, probably to limit server load on their side.  But since they now recommend using their server network - maybe Org should use this by default?

- Carsten

@ 2013-05-06  9:27         ` Yujie Wen
From: Yujie Wen @ 2013-05-06  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org Mode

Hi, Rasmus,

2013/5/6 Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>

> On 6 mei 2013, at 10:36, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
>
> > Hi Yujie,
> >
> >>  Org-Reveal is now updated for displaying MathJax, as the HTML exporter
> >> does, except that the MathJax.org server is used instead of Orgmode.org
> >> server.
> >
> > Out of curiosity: why?
>

> I see that Mathjax now recommends use of its server.  When we started
> using MathJax, they asked users to install their own versions, probably to
> limit server load on their side.  But since they now recommend using their
> server network - maybe Org should use this by default?
>
> - Carsten

Yes, as explained by Carsten, MathJax encourage using their server, while
Org discourage using theirs. so I switched to MathJax server. --yujie

> >>  Please check the updated sample illustration:
> >> http://naga-eda.org/home/yujie/org-reveal/#/4/4
> >
> > That's so cool!  I want to write a presentation now, but unfortunately
> > I haven't got anything to present at the moment.
> >
> > I like this engine as lot 'cause of its "battery included"-ness.
> > E.g. it just 'looks nice' and has the cool dimensional properties that
> > Eric mentioned.
> >
> > Thanks again for this, it looks great!

Hope you enjoy it :) -yujie

@ 2013-05-09 20:42 ` Simon Thum
From: Simon Thum @ 2013-05-09 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yujie Wen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Yujie,

thanks for your great work! I just have had my first important reveal.js
presentation, and wished I had an org-mode exporter while I was
hand-coding the presentation.

Next time It'll be easier no doubt.

Cheers,

Simon

@ 2013-05-14 19:29   ` Gary Oberbrunner
From: Gary Oberbrunner @ 2013-05-14 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just want to say I just set this up, and it's great!  Easy to work with,
and my first org-mode presentation was live in under 10 min.  One minor
nit: on my Windows machine, I had to set org-reveal-root to a file:/// URL,
not a filesystem path.  Otherwise the presentation wouldn't load.

--
Gary

* Re: Export Org-mode content to Reveal.js presentations
@ 2013-05-14 19:42     ` Simon Thum
From: Simon Thum @ 2013-05-14 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Gary,

just as a small tip: I put my presentations on a local webserver when
holding them. This way you need not worry about paths (and can use code
that needs a 'real' webserver; I think the included reveal speaker deck
is in that bin too.)

Cheers,

Simon

@ 2013-05-15  0:58     ` Yujie Wen
From: Yujie Wen @ 2013-05-15  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Gary,

  You are right. For absolute path to reveal.js, the org-reveal-root should
be set in URL form, "file:///path_to_reveal.js".

  I will update the document to make it clear. Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards,
Yujie

@ 2013-05-15 12:13       ` Julian M. Burgos
From: Julian M. Burgos @ 2013-05-15 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Yujie,

Thanks for the exporter!  I am still a bit confused though (seems my
natural state).  Let say I downloaded reveal.js and placed it on my home
directory (I am using Linux), so that the path to reveal.js is the
following:

/home/julian/.reveal/js/reveal.js

so then I should add to my .emacs file

(setq org-reveal-root "file:////home/julian/.reveal/js/reveal.js")

and with this I should be able to do C-c C-e R R and export to reveal,
regardless of the location of the org file, right?  But it is not
working, so obviously I am doing something wrong.  I get a "regular"
HTML file instead.  Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Julian

--
Julian Mariano Burgos, PhD
Hafrannsóknastofnunin/Marine Research Institute

* Re: Export Org-mode content to Reveal.js presentations
@ 2013-05-15 13:35         ` Yujie Wen
From: Yujie Wen @ 2013-05-15 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Julian,

  It seems the URL is wrong. Please see my comments below.

  Let me know if there is still problem.

Regards,
Yujie

2013/5/15 Julian M. Burgos <julian@hafro.is>

> Hi Yujie,
>
> Thanks for the exporter!  I am still a bit confused though (seems my
> natural state).  Let say I downloaded reveal.js and placed it on my home
> directory (I am using Linux), so that the path to reveal.js is the
> following:
>
> /home/julian/.reveal/js/reveal.js
>
> so then I should add to my .emacs file
>
> (setq org-reveal-root "file:////home/julian/.reveal/js/reveal.js")

It should be three slashes ('/'), not four. Please try:

@ 2013-05-15 16:16           ` Julian M. Burgos
From: Julian M. Burgos @ 2013-05-15 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Yujie,

I fixed the URL, but I do not think that is the issue.  I took your
Readme.org file and exported it using the "regular" HTML exporter, and
then using the reveal exporter.  The HTML in both files is very
different, but when I open them in a browser both show very similar
looking pages.  The file obtained from the reveal exporter does not
generate a presentation.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.  If I am using your Readme.org file, I
should be able to do C-c C-e R R to generate a Readme.html file with the
right HTML.  Then I should be able to copy
this file into my .reveal directory, open it with a browser and see the
presentation, right?  Or I am missing something?

Any help will be welcomed.  I have to give a 30 minute talk on Friday
and I really like to get this working! :)

Julian

@ 2013-05-16  4:03             ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2013-05-16  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>    I'd like to introduce a new Org-Mode exporter, Org-reveal, that
> exports Org-mode contents to Reveaj.js presentations.

Thanks. I was trying to use it for a presentation that has unicode
characters. Unicode characters do not come out okay. Is this a
limitation of reveal.js, org-reveal or my setup. Parts of the file
without unicode characters show up fine, but unicode characters show
up as gibberish. Unicode characters show up fine in a normal html
export.

Vikas

* Re: Export Org-mode content to Reveal.js presentations
@ 2013-05-16  4:50               ` Yujie Wen
From: Yujie Wen @ 2013-05-16  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Vikas,

  It is a limitation of org-reveal, I will take a look at the unicode issue.

  For a temporary workaround, you can try changing the character coding on
your browser. Say, for firefox, it is menu "View" -> "Character Encoding",
for IE, it is menu "View" -> "Encoding".

Regards,
Yujie

@ 2013-05-16  5:06                 ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2013-05-16  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   It is a limitation of org-reveal, I will take a look at the unicode issue.

Thanks.

>   For a temporary workaround, you can try changing the character coding on your
> browser. Say, for firefox, it is menu "View" -> "Character Encoding", for IE,
> it is menu "View" -> "Encoding".
That works for now. Thanks again,

Vikas

* Re: Export Org-mode content to Reveal.js presentations
@ 2013-05-16  5:17                   ` Yujie Wen
From: Yujie Wen @ 2013-05-16  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Vikas,

  I've just updated the codes. Now org-reveal generates HTML of UTF-8
encoding, as the HTML exporter does.

  You can try with the latest codes.

@ 2013-05-16 14:21                     ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2013-05-16 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   I've just updated the codes. Now org-reveal generates HTML of UTF-8 encoding,
> as the HTML exporter does.

Updated ox-reveal.el but I still seem to need to tell the browser to
use unicode encoding.

Vikas

* Re: Export Org-mode content to Reveal.js presentations
@ 2013-05-16 14:41                       ` Yujie Wen
From: Yujie Wen @ 2013-05-16 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Vikas,

  Do you mind give me a sample Org file to reproduce your problem, so that
I can find a suitable solution for unicode contents?

Regards,
Yujie

2013/5/16 Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org>

> >   I've just updated the codes. Now org-reveal generates HTML of UTF-8
> encoding,
> > as the HTML exporter does.
>
> Updated ox-reveal.el but I still seem to need to tell the browser to
> use unicode encoding.
>
> Vikas

* Re: Export Org-mode content to Reveal.js presentations
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-12-08 16:00 ` Samuel Loury
From: Samuel Loury @ 2014-12-08 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yujie Wen, emacs-orgmode