* How to analyze clocking reports (e. g. with spreadsheet application)?
@ 2013-04-27 21:50 Martin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin @ 2013-04-27 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using the org-mode clocking features (in org-mode 7.9.4) extensively
to document how much time I spent with which task and when.

I wonder how I can export the data (e. g. to MS Excel) for further analysis;
* time consumed by different projects
* interruptions and "jumping" from task to task
* time consumed by tasks with a special tag
etc.

I searched the internet and this list, but I did not find any description
from someone who has already
done that (however I'm quite sure that I'm not the first one with this idea).

Any hints on how to do it or tutorials/reports from others are welcome.

Martin

* Re: How to analyze clocking reports (e. g. with spreadsheet application)?
@ 2013-04-27 23:27 ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2013-04-27 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Martin,

Martin <elwood151@web.de> writes:

> I'm using the org-mode clocking features (in org-mode 7.9.4) extensively
> to document how much time I spent with which task and when.
>
> I wonder how I can export the data (e. g. to MS Excel) for further analysis;
> * time consumed by different projects
> * interruptions and "jumping" from task to task
> * time consumed by tasks with a special tag
> etc.

Have you looked at this section in the manual?  I don't use many of
these features myself, but I think Org itself can tell you many of these
things without exporting the data to a separate tool:

http://orgmode.org/org.html#The-clock-table

--
Best,
Richard

* Re: How to analyze clocking reports (e. g. with spreadsheet application)?
@ 2013-04-28  6:29   ` Martin Beck
From: Martin Beck @ 2013-04-28  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: How to analyze clocking reports (e. g. with spreadsheet application)?
@ 2013-04-28 12:11     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-28 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 08:29:05AM +0200, Martin Beck wrote:

> thanks for the pointer to the manual page. I had seen that, but for the
> beginning (as my structure of tasks, projects and tags is not very well
> "designed" yet,
> I need some more sophisticated way to find out how my working time is spent.
> (I'm not yet familiar with elisp and org-tables, so the easiest way for me
> would be to export all data to e. g. csv and then analyze them with MS Excel
> (e. g. a pivot table and maybe some self-made VBA "intelligence" to sort or
> group them...)

Have you looked at orgtbl-to-csv?

--
Suvayu

* Re: How to analyze clocking reports (e. g. with spreadsheet application)?
@ 2013-04-28 14:51 ` OSiUX
From: OSiUX @ 2013-04-28 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

El sáb, 27 abr 2013, Martin decía:

> I'm using the org-mode clocking features (in org-mode 7.9.4) extensively
> to document how much time I spent with which task and when.
>
> I wonder how I can export the data (e. g. to MS Excel) for further analysis;
> * time consumed by different projects
> * interruptions and "jumping" from task to task
> * time consumed by tasks with a special tag
> etc.
>
> I searched the internet and this list, but I did not find any description
> from someone who has already
> done that (however I'm quite sure that I'm not the first one with this idea).
>
> Any hints on how to do it or tutorials/reports from others are welcome.
>
> Martin

is possible to obtain statistics using a bash
script and plot by gnuplot, an article about it
in Spanish:

http://www.osiux.com/visualizando-org-mode-con-gnuplot.html

and a graph of each month regarding the same
color for each task over a year

http://www.osiux.com/img/org-task-by-day-2012.png

soon publish a new article in English...

recently created a public repository with some
bash scripts:

https://github.com/osiris/org-bash-utils

--

::

  Osiris Alejandro Gomez (OSiUX) osiux@osiux.com.ar
  DC44 95D2 0D5D D544 FC1A F00F B308 A671 9237 D36C
  http://www.osiux.com.ar http://www.altermundi.net

* Re: How to analyze clocking reports (e. g. with spreadsheet application)?
@ 2014-07-29 15:19 ` Christoph LANGE-BEVER
From: Christoph LANGE-BEVER @ 2014-07-29 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin, emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I thought I'd share with you one nice thing I figured out recently.

It seemed appropriate to post it as a belated answer to this thread:

On 2013-04-27 23:50, Martin wrote:
 > I'm using the org-mode clocking features (in org-mode 7.9.4) extensively
 > to document how much time I spent with which task and when.
 >
 > I wonder how I can export the data (e. g. to MS Excel) for further
analysis;
 > * time consumed by different projects
 > * interruptions and "jumping" from task to task
 > * time consumed by tasks with a special tag
 > etc.

So I was interested in doing some of this analytics right inside Org
spreadsheets.  At
https://github.com/clange/org-mode/tree/master/clocktable-spreadsheet
please find a self-documenting solution for computing my weekly overtime
balance from working hours logged using the clocking features.  The key
to this solution is accessing entries of a clock table from a
spreadsheet table.

I would be happy to contribute this mini-tutorial to Worg.  It is
already available under GPL, and I'll be happy to make it available
under any other license you may need.  However I have little time and
would prefer not having to learn any complex procedures before being
able to contribute.

Cheers,

Christoph

--
Christoph Lange-Bever, http://www.facebook.com/ch.lange, Skype duke4701

* Re: How to analyze clocking reports (e. g. with spreadsheet application)?
@ 2014-07-29 20:07   ` Monroe, Will
From: Monroe, Will @ 2014-07-29 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christoph,

Thanks for sharing this.  I'm just now beginning to explore the ability
of org to provide weekly and monthly reports.  I've gotten as far as
implementing the elisp that Sacha Chua shared here:
http://pages.sachachua.com/.emacs.d/Sacha.html#monthly-reviews  It works
great but at this early stage, I'd like to explore the features of org
further to develop an approach that works for me.

So I'd love to see a mini-tutorial on worg about what you've developed.

All the best,

Will