* Date-stamps w/o time are shown with time on agenda
@ 2013-11-13 13:10 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-11-13 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I am heavily using time-stamps. With

    (setq org-agenda-skip-additional-timestamps-same-entry nil)

I see multiple time-stamps of the same heading on my agenda which I
do like very much for obvious reasons.

However, with a heading such as following I do have a problem:

: ** <2013-12-19 Thu 19:00-23:59> X-Mas-Party
:
: - Email-invitation received: <2013-11-13 Wed>

The thing is that on my agenda of <2013-11-13 Wed>, I do see the
event as it is a normally scheduled event including a time-slot of
19:00-23:59.

What I expect: on <2013-11-13 Wed> I would like to see it as an
item without any association of any time-stamp/slot like a whole-day
event.

Is this (1) a matter of my configuration or (2) on purpose (why?) or
(3) so far a wish of mine? :-)

Thanks!

PS: I am using Org-mode version from git from the day before
yesterday or so.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Date-stamps w/o time are shown with time on agenda
@ 2013-11-13 13:54 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-13 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> : ** <2013-12-19 Thu 19:00-23:59> X-Mas-Party
> :
> : - Email-invitation received: <2013-11-13 Wed>

You need to use inactive timestamps in such cases.
From memory, we wanted to preserve the possibility
to have multiple active timestamps in a subtree.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Date-stamps w/o time are shown with time on agenda
@ 2013-11-13 14:00   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-11-13 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Karl,

Hi Bastien!

> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> : ** <2013-12-19 Thu 19:00-23:59> X-Mas-Party
>> :
>> : - Email-invitation received: <2013-11-13 Wed>
>
> You need to use inactive timestamps in such cases.

This is my work-around so far :-)

> From memory, we wanted to preserve the possibility
> to have multiple active timestamps in a subtree.

I am sorry - I do not see the contradiction here.

Why not handle each time-stamp in a consistent manner: show each
<YYYY-MM-DD ddd> as whole-day items on the agenda and <YYYY-MM-DD
ddd HH:MM> as items with an associated time (and duration)?

--

@ 2013-11-13 14:28     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-13 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> I am sorry - I do not see the contradiction here.

Sorry, I read too fast.

> Why not handle each time-stamp in a consistent manner: show each
> <YYYY-MM-DD ddd> as whole-day items on the agenda and <YYYY-MM-DD
> ddd HH:MM> as items with an associated time (and duration)?

(setq org-agenda-search-headline-for-time nil) should do.

When Org tries to associate a headline with a timestamp found in a
subtree, it optionally tries to find a time string (like "HH:MM")
in the headline if this option is `t' (the default.)

Here it confuses the time string from the timestamp with a separate
time string, hence the confusion.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Date-stamps w/o time are shown with time on agenda
@ 2013-11-13 14:52       ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-11-13 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> I am sorry - I do not see the contradiction here.
>
> Sorry, I read too fast.

:-)

>> Why not handle each time-stamp in a consistent manner: show each
>> <YYYY-MM-DD ddd> as whole-day items on the agenda and <YYYY-MM-DD
>> ddd HH:MM> as items with an associated time (and duration)?
>
> (setq org-agenda-search-headline-for-time nil) should do.
>
> When Org tries to associate a headline with a timestamp found in a
> subtree, it optionally tries to find a time string (like "HH:MM")
> in the headline if this option is `t' (the default.)

Perfect!

With the line above, my issue is gone and with your description my
knowledge is widened :-)

--

@ 2013-11-13 19:46         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-11-13 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

nil might be a safer default?

On 11/13/13, Karl Voit <devnull@karl-voit.at> wrote:
>> (setq org-agenda-search-headline-for-time nil) should do.

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: Date-stamps w/o time are shown with time on agenda
@ 2013-11-13 23:23           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-13 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

> nil might be a safer default?

This small feature would not be easily discovered if this option is
turned to nil, so I'd say `t' makes sense here.

But I don't feel strongly about this.

--
 Bastien