* Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-26 12:49 Karl Voit
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-03-26 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

TL;DR: org-feed.el is not a doable replacement for Google Reader.
       What about alternatives?

I am using Google Reader with the Android app "NewsRob Pro" which is
very good in terms of features that make sense and support my
workflow.

Google Reader will die in July and therefore NewsRob will die as
well (or has to migrate to another server platform which is unlikely
due to lack of time from the author).

So I was thinking of using Emacs with or without Org-mode as a
potential replacement. I basically live in Org-mode. Since I read
RSS a *lot* on my Android devices (yes, even being at home), I'd
love to have sync abilities between desktop Emacs and something like
MobileOrg.

I stumbled upon org-feed.el[1][2] and tried it with two of my RSS
feeds (heise, Dilbert).

It's working. In a way.

Unfortunately, there is no (obvious) way of getting the feed content
rather than the short description (for selected feeds). Images are
not shown (Dilbert comic strip) and HTML fragments are all over the
place making it hard to read the news. Since the resulting data did
not fulfill basic requirements, I did not even bother and try to sync
it to MobileOrg.

Therefore, org-feed.el is not a replacement for Google Reader and
NewsRob for my set of requirements at all.

I wonder if there are a group of people having the same issue
because of the demise of Google Reader and apps that sync from/to
there.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

I'd prefer to think about having a solution which is hosted on my
computers rather than having to re-do the switch when the next cloud
based service stops working in a year or so.

  1. http://orgmode.org/manual/RSS-Feeds.html
  2. http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-feed.html
--
Karl Voit

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-26 13:01 ` Andreas Leha
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-03-26 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Hi!
>
> TL;DR: org-feed.el is not a doable replacement for Google Reader.
>        What about alternatives?
>
> I am using Google Reader with the Android app "NewsRob Pro" which is
> very good in terms of features that make sense and support my
> workflow.
>
> Google Reader will die in July and therefore NewsRob will die as
> well (or has to migrate to another server platform which is unlikely
> due to lack of time from the author).
>
> So I was thinking of using Emacs with or without Org-mode as a
> potential replacement. I basically live in Org-mode. Since I read
> RSS a *lot* on my Android devices (yes, even being at home), I'd
> love to have sync abilities between desktop Emacs and something like
> MobileOrg.
>
> I stumbled upon org-feed.el[1][2] and tried it with two of my RSS
> feeds (heise, Dilbert).
>
> It's working. In a way.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no (obvious) way of getting the feed content
> rather than the short description (for selected feeds). Images are
> not shown (Dilbert comic strip) and HTML fragments are all over the
> place making it hard to read the news. Since the resulting data did
> not fulfill basic requirements, I did not even bother and try to sync
> it to MobileOrg.
>
> Therefore, org-feed.el is not a replacement for Google Reader and
> NewsRob for my set of requirements at all.
>
> I wonder if there are a group of people having the same issue
> because of the demise of Google Reader and apps that sync from/to
> there.
>
> Any suggestions? Ideas?
>
> I'd prefer to think about having a solution which is hosted on my
> computers rather than having to re-do the switch when the next cloud
> based service stops working in a year or so.

This is not an answer to your question, sorry.

But you can host your own reader.  I can recommend tiny-tiny-rss, which
also has a nice android client (two, actually).

To get the content instead of the short description, you can try
full-text-rss (you can host this yourself as well).  It does not work
perfect (esp. heise content is missing in a lot of articles), but
improves the situation.

I expect a good solution based on emacs to be hard to set up, because of
heavy image/markup/codesnippet/..-use in many articles and because of
syncing.  But I'll follow this thread and would be habby to be proven
wrong...

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-26 14:35 ` Carmine Casciato
From: Carmine Casciato @ 2013-03-26 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Hi!
>
> TL;DR: org-feed.el is not a doable replacement for Google Reader.
>        What about alternatives?

Hi Karl,

You can perhaps try with Gnus and Gwene? It seems like many people have been
uploading their OPML's since the Reader announcement, so there is a nice
selection of blogs to choose from already.

Cheers,
Carmine

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-26 14:58   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-03-26 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Carmine Casciato <casciato@gmail.com> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> TL;DR: org-feed.el is not a doable replacement for Google Reader.
>>        What about alternatives?
>
> Hi Karl,

Hi Carmine!

> You can perhaps try with Gnus and Gwene?

Thanks for the pointer.

On the one hand, I do not have any Gnus experience and from the
things I already read about Gnus configuration, I want to keep it
that way. On the other hand, Gnus does not offer something to sync
with for the Android platform AFAIK.

So, yeah, Gnus/Gwene might be a possibility for people who do only
read RSS feeds within their Emacs setup. But for now, I want to try
to find a solution which is not that far away from my Reader/NewsRob
experience.

And yes, I also assume that this are requirements that
Emacs/Org-mode is not able to meet (yet). But you never know what
good hints you will get on ML like this :-)

--

@ 2013-03-26 15:42     ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2013-03-26 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Lately I have seen many people reporting to be afraid of Gnus configuration.
There is nothing to be afraid of there. It is a bit like Org : you
can keep it simple and short or very long and complex.
Gnus is definitely the best mail/news/(rss) reader I have used.
But there are 2 big drawbacks for me:
- Emacs is not multi-threaded and if you use Gnus heavily, it is painful
not being able to type in a window while Gnus is sorting out your stuff
- I wish Emacs to be able to actually render HTML in a buffer (w3m not
a valid option under Windows at least)

Fabrice

--
Fabrice Popineau
-----------------------------

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-26 16:00       ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-03-26 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

+1 here from another Org and Gnus user who couldn't really get org-feed.el to
work as an RSS reader, but loves Gnus+Gwene.

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau-vbcOdlJ0SulGWvitb5QawA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Lately I have seen many people reporting to be afraid of Gnus
> configuration.
> There is nothing to be afraid of there. It is a bit like Org : you
> can keep it simple and short or very long and complex.
> Gnus is definitely the best mail/news/(rss) reader I have used.
> But there are 2 big drawbacks for me:
> - Emacs is not multi-threaded and if you use Gnus heavily, it is
> painful
> not being able to type in a window while Gnus is sorting out your
> stuff
> - I wish Emacs to be able to actually render HTML in a buffer (w3m
> not
> a valid option under Windows at least)
>
> Fabrice

Fabrice, recent Gnusae have a built-in HTML renderer which even
(somewhat) handles CSS.  try (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'shr).

Incidentally, here is also newsticker.el.

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-26 16:32       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-03-26 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr> wrote:

> Lately I have seen many people reporting to be afraid of Gnus configuration.
> There is nothing to be afraid of there. It is a bit like Org : you
> can keep it simple and short or very long and complex.
> Gnus is definitely the best mail/news/(rss) reader I have used.
> But there are 2 big drawbacks for me:
> - Emacs is not multi-threaded and if you use Gnus heavily, it is painful
> not being able to type in a window while Gnus is sorting out your stuff

I don't use Gnus for anything other than news (and I read very little of
that nowadays). But I'm on IRC using ERC and I run a second emacs
instance just for that, while my main instance is where I live most of
the time: maybe a second emacs instance would work for your use case?

> - I wish Emacs to be able to actually render HTML in a buffer (w3m not
> a valid option under Windows at least)

Under Linux, w3m is usable (just barely) but like all text browsers, it
works better with text-heavy pages without too many bells and whistles:
certainly not a substitute for a full-blown browser. Re: Windows - the
web page says it's available on Windows (with Cygwin): is that not true?

Nick

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-26 18:31 ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-03-26 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Le 26 Mars à 13h49, Karl Voit a écrit :

> TL;DR: org-feed.el is not a doable replacement for Google Reader.
>        What about alternatives?

I use newsticker, it's part of emacs.
--
Aide-toi, l'État ne t'aidera pas.
    -- Auguste Detœuf

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-26 19:41         ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-03-26 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos wrote:
>> - I wish Emacs to be able to actually render HTML in a buffer (w3m not
>> a valid option under Windows at least)
>
> Under Linux, w3m is usable (just barely) but like all text browsers, it
> works better with text-heavy pages without too many bells and whistles:
> certainly not a substitute for a full-blown browser. Re: Windows - the web
> page says it's available on Windows (with Cygwin): is that not true?

It is available from Cygwin, and it does work well for the HTML mails I
receive in Gnus. Of course, it's limited (no JavaScript, a.o.), but that's no
different from under Linux.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-26 20:40           ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2013-03-26 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I banned Cygwin quite a while ago because of too many instabilities
(versions of the dll),
and the awful stuff of being obliged to "mount" drives and so on.
Windows is not Unix. If I want Unix, I install some Ubuntu in a VM or on a
spare machine.
Under Windows, I use  gnuwin32 whenever I can and mingw/msys sometimes
(just to compile the trunk org-mode at the moment, because it is easier
than write msvc makefiles)

Back to w3m, rendering html this way may be ok, but it remains quite slow,
it make emacs busy
for something that chrome is designed to do quickly. So I use chrome and
gmail. Once you find that
you can program some stuff with scripts in google apps, I do almost what I
was used to with Gnus.
I can even compose messages in emacs if needed (using the edit server
chrome extension for emacs).

Well everyone has to find his best setup.
Sorry for having been out of topic
(hopefully not out of interest for everyone).

Fabrice

--
Fabrice Popineau
-----------------------------

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-27  9:54         ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-03-27  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* W. Greenhouse <wgreenhouse@riseup.net> wrote:
> +1 here from another Org and Gnus user who couldn't really get org-feed.el to
> work as an RSS reader, but loves Gnus+Gwene.
>
> Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr> writes:
>
>> Lately I have seen many people reporting to be afraid of Gnus
>> configuration.
>> There is nothing to be afraid of there.

OK, so as I assumed, there is no method out there to read RSS feeds
with Emacs and sync to mobile Android devices (content and
read/unread information).

Well, in this case I have to switch to another cloud based services
which hopefully does not quit soon.

Thanks for the insight of your RSS setups! Always interesting to see
how other people are organizing their workflows.

--
Karl Voit

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-27 10:56           ` Samuel Loury
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Samuel Loury @ 2013-03-27 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> OK, so as I assumed, there is no method out there to read RSS feeds
> with Emacs and sync to mobile Android devices (content and
> read/unread information).

Let me propose another way to fulfill the same need:

To my mind, there is not much difference between fetching unread rss and
fetching unread mails. Then why bother trying to duplicate the effort in
mail readers and rss readers?

I use feed2imap for 2 years now and it works really well. It is a ruby
script that sync your rss (atom) feeds and put new resources on an imap
server with a specified label. Nonetheless, AFAIK, It does not provide a
way to get to the full content of the resources like Full Text RSS does.

If you put a dedicated (let's say RSS) label to all the rss and with a
little bit of configuration, You are able to read unread mails and
unread rss independently.

It fulfills the needs (read rss within emacs and android with a 2 ways
sync) indirectly for me because I read my mails in emacs and I have a
mail reader in android (K9Mail).

There are also alternatives using smtp protocol to send the items as
mail.

> Well, in this case I have to switch to another cloud based services
> which hopefully does not quit soon.

My proposal relies on a server constantly connected to the Internet and
updating some imap account with the rss items. I guess you may want a
more "decentralized" solution with a sync between android and emacs.

If it is the case and you find a solution providing that, I would love
to read it in that mailing list.

Greetings,
--
Konubinix
GPG Key    : 7439106A

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-27 11:59             ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-03-27 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Samuel Loury <konubinix@gmail.com> writes:

> I use feed2imap for 2 years now and it works really well. It is a ruby
> script that sync your rss (atom) feeds and put new resources on an imap
> server with a specified label. Nonetheless, AFAIK, It does not provide a
> way to get to the full content of the resources like Full Text RSS does.

That's a great idea!  Thanks for sharing,  I'll look into this!

–Rasmus

--
El Rey ha muerto. ¡Larga vida al Rey!

* [OT] Replacement for Google Reader (was: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-03-27 13:18 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2013-03-27 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> TL;DR: org-feed.el is not a doable replacement for Google Reader.
>        What about alternatives?

NNTP:
- gwene.org

Mail:
- rss2email

Web:
- rawdog
- Tiny Tiny Rss

hth
Memnon

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-27 14:46             ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-03-27 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Samuel Loury <konubinix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me propose another way to fulfill the same need:

Sure!

> To my mind, there is not much difference between fetching unread rss and
> fetching unread mails. Then why bother trying to duplicate the effort in
> mail readers and rss readers?

Good point.

> I use feed2imap for 2 years now and it works really well. It is a ruby
> script that sync your rss (atom) feeds and put new resources on an imap
> server with a specified label. Nonetheless, AFAIK, It does not provide a
> way to get to the full content of the resources like Full Text RSS does.
[...]

OK. New to me, thanks for the pointer!

> My proposal relies on a server constantly connected to the Internet and
> updating some imap account with the rss items. I guess you may want a
> more "decentralized" solution with a sync between android and emacs.

Not necessarily. I do have access to such a server but it is quite
loaded and the admin does not want to install additional services
that adds something to the load. I will negotiate with him :-)

> If it is the case and you find a solution providing that, I would love
> to read it in that mailing list.

If I find something related to Org/Emacs/feed2imap, I will follow
up here.

--

@ 2013-03-27 23:09             ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2013-03-27 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Loury; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

newsticker has been part of emacs since 22.x and it's supposed to be
able to read rss feeds and display them.  Now, how to get from what's in
info newsticker to actually adding a real feed and have newsticker work
is another matter entirely.  I'm reading what's in info newsticker and
don't yet fully understand where to store the feed and specifically what
commands need be used to add feeds and delete feeds from a feeds list
yet.

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Samuel Loury wrote:

> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
> > OK, so as I assumed, there is no method out there to read RSS feeds
> > with Emacs and sync to mobile Android devices (content and
> > read/unread information).
>
> Let me propose another way to fulfill the same need:
>
> To my mind, there is not much difference between fetching unread rss and
> fetching unread mails. Then why bother trying to duplicate the effort in
> mail readers and rss readers?
>
> I use feed2imap for 2 years now and it works really well. It is a ruby
> script that sync your rss (atom) feeds and put new resources on an imap
> server with a specified label. Nonetheless, AFAIK, It does not provide a
> way to get to the full content of the resources like Full Text RSS does.
>
> If you put a dedicated (let's say RSS) label to all the rss and with a
> little bit of configuration, You are able to read unread mails and
> unread rss independently.
>
> It fulfills the needs (read rss within emacs and android with a 2 ways
> sync) indirectly for me because I read my mails in emacs and I have a
> mail reader in android (K9Mail).
>
> There are also alternatives using smtp protocol to send the items as
> mail.
>
> > Well, in this case I have to switch to another cloud based services
> > which hopefully does not quit soon.
>
> My proposal relies on a server constantly connected to the Internet and
> updating some imap account with the rss items. I guess you may want a
> more "decentralized" solution with a sync between android and emacs.
>
> If it is the case and you find a solution providing that, I would love
> to read it in that mailing list.
>
> Greetings,

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Microsoft, windows is accessible. why do blind people need screen readers?

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-28  3:52               ` Carmine Casciato
From: Carmine Casciato @ 2013-03-28  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> newsticker has been part of emacs since 22.x and it's supposed to be
> able to read rss feeds and display them.  Now, how to get from what's in
> info newsticker to actually adding a real feed and have newsticker work
> is another matter entirely.  I'm reading what's in info newsticker and
> don't yet fully understand where to store the feed and specifically what
> commands need be used to add feeds and delete feeds from a feeds list
> yet.
>
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Samuel Loury wrote:

I tried it a few days ago, and it worked right of the box. It even
includes a few feeds you can start with. The customize-group for
newsticker was all I needed.

The problem was when I tried to import the hundred-blog opml file, which
it did fine. However, due to the threaded nature of emacs, it froze
emacs for a long time as it went and called each blog. Perhaps async.el
can help here. In any case, it made emacs quite unusable. Shame, cuz
it's a nice setup for rss reading.

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-03-28 10:03                 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2013-03-28 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carmine Casciato; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I did also try rss2email r2e and that needs its config.py file put in
the ~/.rss2email/ directory and users will need to edit that config.py
file to set things correct for local installations.  It does work once
this gets done.

@ 2013-03-28 17:18               ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-03-28 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> Now, how to get from what's in info newsticker to actually adding a
> real feed and have newsticker work is another matter entirely.

I gave it a quick try, and found frustrating that it looks attractive in
its display and specs, that it seems to be nicely done at first glance,
but that it invariably throws Emacs in what seems to be an infinite CPU
loop, leaving me no choice than to kill Emacs each time.  Sigh!

François

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-04-14 14:14     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2013-04-14 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On the one hand, I do not have any Gnus experience

It doesn't have to be Gnus.  Any NNTP client will work with feeds on
gwene.  On the PC you could eg. use Thunderbird.

> and from the things I already read about Gnus configuration, I want to
> keep it that way.

There is a big difference in what you _can_ do, and what you have to do.

If you just want to read news with NNTP you basically only have to point
it to at least one NNTP server (eg. gwene).

> On the other hand, Gnus does not offer something to sync with for the
> Android platform AFAIK.

If you want a gwene reader for the android platform you will have to
find an NNTP client for android.  I don't know if there is one... well
seems to be a couple:
 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro&hl=no

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-04-15  7:47       ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-15  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> On the one hand, I do not have any Gnus experience
>
> It doesn't have to be Gnus.  Any NNTP client will work with feeds on
> gwene.  On the PC you could eg. use Thunderbird.
>
>> and from the things I already read about Gnus configuration, I want to
>> keep it that way.
>
> There is a big difference in what you _can_ do, and what you have to do.
>
> If you just want to read news with NNTP you basically only have to point
> it to at least one NNTP server (eg. gwene).
>
>> On the other hand, Gnus does not offer something to sync with for the
>> Android platform AFAIK.
>
> If you want a gwene reader for the android platform you will have to
> find an NNTP client for android.  I don't know if there is one... well
> seems to be a couple:
>  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro&hl=no

There is, imho, one big difference between using google reader and gwene
with any desktop news reader: as far as I know, you can not sync read
items between ydifferent readers (desktops, mobile devices, tablets,
...). This is for me a problem, as I mainly read from my iPad, and
sometimes friom my desktop. But I want to see only the news which I did
not read on the other device. So something like an imap implementation
for gwene would be needed to make it a *very* interesting solution for
me. As it stands at the moment, I registered with feedly [1] which
syncs with google reader (while it still exists) and provides very
similar benefits.

If I could sync my gnus (it is really not that difficult to get started,
but much more difficult to not get carried away with configuring and
tweaking - just because one can... But I love gnus: highly recommended)
with my mobile device, I will stick with feedly.

Cheers,

Rainer

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.feedly.com

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-04-16  9:35         ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-04-16  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Rainer M. Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> wrote:

> There is, imho, one big difference between using google reader and gwene
> with any desktop news reader: as far as I know, you can not sync read
> items between ydifferent readers (desktops, mobile devices, tablets,
> ...). This is for me a problem, as I mainly read from my iPad, and
> sometimes friom my desktop.

Besides the fact that I am using my Android phone and my Android
tablet in addition to my desktop, I totally copy your point.

> But I want to see only the news which I did not read on the other
> device. So something like an imap implementation for gwene would
> be needed to make it a *very* interesting solution for me.

Ack.

However, for me it is necessary to implement per-feed settings for
grabbing the article content. Some feeds do offer only a short
description of the content but I want to get the whole article
without indirection over mobile browsers or such.

> As it stands at the moment, I registered with feedly [1] which
> syncs with google reader (while it still exists) and provides very
> similar benefits.

Yes. BUT: feedly does not offer offline support. Thus, when I am on
an airplane or without data connection, I am not able to read my RSS
feeds. Not acceptable to me.

> If I could sync my gnus (it is really not that difficult to get started,
> but much more difficult to not get carried away with configuring and
> tweaking - just because one can... But I love gnus: highly recommended)
> with my mobile device, I will stick with feedly.

I tested Emacs on my Android tablet and no, I definitely do *not*
want to use my beloved Emacs on this very limited device
(shortcuts/keyboard).

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-04-16 10:35           ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-16 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Rainer M. Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> wrote:
>>
>> There is, imho, one big difference between using google reader and gwene
>> with any desktop news reader: as far as I know, you can not sync read
>> items between ydifferent readers (desktops, mobile devices, tablets,
>> ...). This is for me a problem, as I mainly read from my iPad, and
>> sometimes friom my desktop.
>
> Besides the fact that I am using my Android phone and my Android
> tablet in addition to my desktop, I totally copy your point.
>
>> But I want to see only the news which I did not read on the other
>> device. So something like an imap implementation for gwene would
>> be needed to make it a *very* interesting solution for me.
>
> Ack.

Ack?

> However, for me it is necessary to implement per-feed settings for
> grabbing the article content. Some feeds do offer only a short
> description of the content but I want to get the whole article
> without indirection over mobile browsers or such.
>
>> As it stands at the moment, I registered with feedly [1] which
>> syncs with google reader (while it still exists) and provides very
>> similar benefits.
>
> Yes. BUT: feedly does not offer offline support. Thus, when I am on
> an airplane or without data connection, I am not able to read my RSS
> feeds. Not acceptable to me.

This is most definitely a huge problem - I agree. But if I remember
correctly, they are working on it. The only additional thing which is
missing is being able to sync from the other reader apps which have
offline support with feedly.

>> If I could sync my gnus (it is really not that difficult to get started,
>> but much more difficult to not get carried away with configuring and
>> tweaking - just because one can... But I love gnus: highly recommended)
>> with my mobile device, I will stick with feedly.
>
> I tested Emacs on my Android tablet and no, I definitely do *not*
> want to use my beloved Emacs on this very limited device
> (shortcuts/keyboard).

I can imagine - a regular emacs on an android touch tablet without an
additional keyboard...

Cheers,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-04-16 10:58             ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-04-16 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Rainer M. Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> * Rainer M. Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> wrote:
>>
>>> But I want to see only the news which I did not read on the other
>>> device. So something like an imap implementation for gwene would
>>> be needed to make it a *very* interesting solution for me.
>>
>> Ack.
>
> Ack?

Sorry for using an abbr. that is not as widespread as I thought.

Ack = Acknowledge. Here I used it in short for „I agree“.

>> Yes. BUT: feedly does not offer offline support. Thus, when I am on
>> an airplane or without data connection, I am not able to read my RSS
>> feeds. Not acceptable to me.
>
> This is most definitely a huge problem - I agree. But if I remember
> correctly, they are working on it. The only additional thing which is
> missing is being able to sync from the other reader apps which have
> offline support with feedly.

Most important features to me.

>> I tested Emacs on my Android tablet and no, I definitely do *not*
>> want to use my beloved Emacs on this very limited device
>> (shortcuts/keyboard).
>
> I can imagine - a regular emacs on an android touch tablet without an
> additional keyboard...

I also tested a FreedomPro bluetooth keyboard with my XOOM tablet.
Unfortunately, no Ctrl/ESC/Alt is working. So Android/Emacs is not
usable without the Hacker's keyboard which is an on-screen keyboard
that offers all those modifier keys. When the on-screen keyboard
uses half of the tablet screen, it is no fun using Emacs at all.

--

@ 2013-04-16 11:43               ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2013-04-16 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, news1142

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> schrieb:
[...]
>> I can imagine - a regular emacs on an android touch tablet without an
>> additional keyboard...
>
>I also tested a FreedomPro bluetooth keyboard with my XOOM tablet.
>Unfortunately, no Ctrl/ESC/Alt is working. So Android/Emacs is not
>usable without the Hacker's keyboard which is an on-screen keyboard
>that offers all those modifier keys. When the on-screen keyboard
>uses half of the tablet screen, it is no fun using Emacs at all.

There is an app, External Keyboard Helper (Pro), that enables full usage of most bluetooth/usb keyboards. It is not without usability Problems, some would need a rooted phone to solve, but I'm happy with the setup so far. I mostly need it for connectbot sessions.
It is a payed app, but there is a free version, so you can test your setup first.

Regards,
Tom

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-04-16 12:05             ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-04-16 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug) writes:

> Ack?

That comes from ASCII (the first edition of the standard), which had two
control characters (OK, it had more than two control characters, but I'm
only looking at those two!): ACK and NAK, for Acknowledge and Negative
Acknowledge.

At this time, serial communications were often half duplex (only one
side writes at a time), and prone to loosing characters.  RS 232 defined
RTS and CTS (Request to Send and Clear to Send) for implementing half
duplex at the wire level.  When at a higher level, things were differing
depending on if you used asynchronous modems or rarer synchronous modems
(where start bits and stop bits could be spared, so increasing the speed
a tiny bit): asynchronous were using XON and XOFF (Transmission On and
Transmission Off), synchronous were using ACK and NAK.

Do I remember well?  In ASCII 2, XON/XOFF/ACK/NAK were all renamed
DC1/DC2/DC3/DC4 (not necessarily in that order), (DC stands for Data
Control).  Or was it SI and SO (Shift In and Shift Out)?  I'm not sure.
Yet, in any case, ACK and NAK remained in the culture for much longer.

This is while going from ASCII 1 to ASCII 2 that NUL and BEL both
acquired their second "L" :-).

François

* OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs (was: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader)
@ 2013-04-16 13:21                 ` Karl Voit
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-04-16 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Tom <tom@goochesa.de> wrote:

> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> schrieb:
>>
>>I also tested a FreedomPro bluetooth keyboard with my XOOM tablet.
>>Unfortunately, no Ctrl/ESC/Alt is working. So Android/Emacs is not
>>usable without the Hacker's keyboard which is an on-screen
>>keyboard that offers all those modifier keys. When the on-screen
>>keyboard uses half of the tablet screen, it is no fun using Emacs
>>at all.
>
> There is an app, External Keyboard Helper (Pro), that enables full
> usage of most bluetooth/usb keyboards. It is not without usability
> Problems, some would need a rooted phone to solve, but I'm happy
> with the setup so far. I mostly need it for connectbot sessions.

Thank you *very* much for this pointer!

Unfortunately, my Android Emacs segfaults now (can't test it) and
while typing in a note taking app works quite fine, simple
characters like «!» do not work in ConnectBot/vim :-(

I have to invest some time in this tool. Probably I might be able to
get it to work.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-16 18:30                   ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2013-04-16 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Unfortunately, my Android Emacs segfaults now (can't test it)

There is a known segfault related to having the font size set too
large. I forget how to fix it because I haven't been using Android Emacs
lately, but try setting the font smaller in whatever way you can.

--
David

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-16 22:47                   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-16 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Unfortunately, my Android Emacs segfaults now (can't test it) and

I found that you can get the Emacs app started without segfaulting if
you reduce the font size.  Of course, that may make the text
illegible for you... :-(

The on-screen keyboard is not ideal, of course.  My bluetooth
mini-keyboard doesn't transmit CTRL unfortunately so not very useful.

Basically, we're almost there but not quite.  It sure would be nice to
have Emacs running properly on Android just to be able to have full
org-mode on the move.  Although I'm using MobileOrg more and more, I'm
only using it for capturing notes.  I really want appointments and
everything else as well!

I've only tried Emacs on my recently acquired Nexus 4 (phone) but will
try it out on a tablet (Nexus 7) tomorrow hopefully.  Not what I want in
the long term but worth trying, I guess.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0-pre-347-g4b139e

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
@ 2013-04-16 22:49               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-16 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Pinard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug) writes:
>
>> Ack?
>
> That comes from ASCII (the first edition of the standard), which had two

And it was also what the cat in Bloom County used to say ;-)

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0-pre-347-g4b139e

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs (was: Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader)
@ 2013-04-18 16:52                   ` Subhan Tindall
From: Subhan Tindall @ 2013-04-18 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: Org-Mode

Android emacs has known problems segfaulting dependant on font size.  Try
starting with the smallest font & work your way up.
See:
https://github.com/zielmicha/emacs-android/issues/2
for further information & workarounds

--
Subhan Michael Tindall | Software Developer
| smt@rentrakmail.com
RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com | NASDAQ: RENT

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-23  9:05                     ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-04-23  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> I found that you can get the Emacs app started without segfaulting if
> you reduce the font size.  Of course, that may make the text
> illegible for you... :-(

Thanks to everyone sending me this tipp. It worked :-)

> The on-screen keyboard is not ideal, of course.  My bluetooth
> mini-keyboard doesn't transmit CTRL unfortunately so not very useful.

Ack.  ... Oh ... I agree. :-)

> Basically, we're almost there but not quite.  It sure would be nice to
> have Emacs running properly on Android just to be able to have full
> org-mode on the move.

I am looking forward to this!

> Although I'm using MobileOrg more and more, I'm only using it for
> capturing notes.  I really want appointments and everything else
> as well!

Same here at my side. Next, I want to test the agenda on MobileOrg
and the feature to show it on the Android calendar. This way, I want
to get rid of Google more and more which has proven to be not
reliable at all (dying Reader, dying APIs, ...).

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-23  9:56                       ` Eric S Fraga
  2013-04-23 10:33                         ` Android MobileOrg and appointments; ICS export and Google Calendar (was: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs) Karl Voit
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-23  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Although I'm using MobileOrg more and more, I'm only using it for
>> capturing notes.  I really want appointments and everything else
>> as well!
>
> Same here at my side. Next, I want to test the agenda on MobileOrg
> and the feature to show it on the Android calendar. This way, I want
> to get rid of Google more and more which has proven to be not
> reliable at all (dying Reader, dying APIs, ...).

I tried out the sync to calendar option in MobileOrg.  It synced tasks
(i.e. scheduled and deadline entries) but not entries with just active
time stamps which are what I use for appointments.  In my use of org, I
have a clear distinction between tasks and appointments.  I schedule
tasks to days but not times.  Appointments are not tasks as they
disappear whether I attended them or not whereas tasks persist.

I would like active time stamps to appear in my calendar for the "at a
glance" identification of free and busy times and for reminders of when
I need to be somewhere.  I prefer to keep task information in org and
not in my Google calendar so MobileOrg's behaviour is exactly the
opposite of what I wanted unfortunately.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0.1-19-g9655a1

* Android MobileOrg and appointments; ICS export and Google Calendar (was: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs)
@ 2013-04-23 10:33                         ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-04-23 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> I tried out the sync to calendar option in MobileOrg.  It synced tasks
> (i.e. scheduled and deadline entries) but not entries with just active
> time stamps which are what I use for appointments.

Too bad.

> In my use of org, I have a clear distinction between tasks and
> appointments.  I schedule tasks to days but not times.
> Appointments are not tasks as they disappear whether I attended
> them or not whereas tasks persist.

Same here.

> I would like active time stamps to appear in my calendar for the
> "at a glance" identification of free and busy times and for
> reminders of when I need to be somewhere.  I prefer to keep task
> information in org and not in my Google calendar so MobileOrg's
> behaviour is exactly the opposite of what I wanted unfortunately.

Thanks you very much for this comment. This spares me trying out
"Agenda > MobileOrg > Android Calendar" for now.

So I have to stay with Google Calendar until I find something
better.

Related to this and in case of interest:

I implemented a Python-tool to filter my ICS export file. It removes
everything except few things such that I basically get a
free/busy-only ICS file. I can easily share it with friends without
having too much privacy issues. Get the tool at [1] if you need this
feature.

I also implemented a Python-tool that injects Google Calendar alarms
for tags on appointments like :rem15: (remind me 15 minutes ahead)
on [2]. However, this does not work yet because Google seems to
ignore ICS alarms while importing the file :-( (No solution found
yet)

  1. https://github.com/novoid/convert_iCal_to_free-busy-only
  2. https://github.com/novoid/postprocess_Org-mode_iCal_export
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Android MobileOrg and appointments; ICS export and Google Calendar
@ 2013-04-23 13:25                           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-23 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

[...]

> Thanks you very much for this comment. This spares me trying out
> "Agenda > MobileOrg > Android Calendar" for now.

I think MobileOrg is being extended so maybe there will be an option to
synchronise active time stamps.

> I also implemented a Python-tool that injects Google Calendar alarms
> for tags on appointments like :rem15: (remind me 15 minutes ahead)
> on [2]. However, this does not work yet because Google seems to
> ignore ICS alarms while importing the file :-( (No solution found
> yet)

Yes, this is annoying.  I export my appointments to ICS with reminder
times but these are ignored by Google's Calendar, as you note.  As is
typical of Google, it would appear, their tools do the minimum they
think is necessary and no more.  I really must find a better alternative
on Android for a calendar that can grok org!

--

@ 2013-04-23 19:23                       ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2013-04-23 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>* Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Basically, we're almost there but not quite.  It sure would be nice
>> have Emacs running properly on Android just to be able to have full
>> org-mode on the move.

I've built glibc 2.17 for Android, now I compile all GNU apps natively on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II). Using http://kumatux.org/ (my app) I can install any compiled app anywhere locally on the system, withoit messing with the underlying file structure - originally I started developing this for my laptop, but particularly useful for Android...

So, I have full Emacs (latest bzr) running on the phone. Using Hacker's Keybod app works well.

I've been upgrading kumatux.org, will probably take me a month or two, to finish the latest rebuild - I'm converting to running out of Clisp, rather than just shell scripts.

Then I'm planning to publish a guide how to build emacs natively on Android, as well an put the built tarballs somewhere...

So, we're already there! I just need to polish what I'm using, no I can then publish it. I'll try to make sure not to forget to publicize here also.

--
白い熊

@ 2013-04-23 20:16                         ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-04-23 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I tried out the sync to calendar option in MobileOrg.  It synced tasks
> (i.e. scheduled and deadline entries) but not entries with just active
> time stamps which are what I use for appointments.

It's working for me: I'm using the latest MobileOrg from the PlayStore
and entries with just a time stamp are synced to my Android phone
calendar. I think however it didn't use to work before, and the doc on
the github site seems to say that it's not possible.

Julien.

@ 2013-04-24  4:29                           ` Rémi Vanicat
From: Rémi Vanicat @ 2013-04-24  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I tried out the sync to calendar option in MobileOrg.  It synced tasks
>> (i.e. scheduled and deadline entries) but not entries with just active
>> time stamps which are what I use for appointments.
>
> Too bad.

I don't know what differ in my config, but here, entries with active
time stamps are synced with my mobile agenda using MobileOrg on
android.

--
Rémi Vanicat

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-24  7:36                           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-24  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>

>> I tried out the sync to calendar option in MobileOrg.  It synced tasks
>> (i.e. scheduled and deadline entries) but not entries with just active
>> time stamps which are what I use for appointments.
>
> It's working for me: I'm using the latest MobileOrg from the PlayStore
> and entries with just a time stamp are synced to my Android phone
> calendar. I think however it didn't use to work before, and the doc on
> the github site seems to say that it's not possible.
>
> Julien.

Interesting.  I'll have to try again although it's only been a month or
so since I last tried.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.3f-1199-g3a0e55