* Problems with habit sorting
@ 2012-10-08 15:32 Renger van Nieuwkoop
From: Renger van Nieuwkoop @ 2012-10-08 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi
I have an agenda-view where I can see all my habits. They have priorities but are not sorted.
Any idea how to sort them according to priority.

My view looks like this

Monday      8 October 2012 W41
               8:30...... ----------------
              10:00...... ----------------
              12:00...... ----------------
              13:00...... ----------------
              15:00...... ----------------
              17:00...... ----------------
              17:27...... now - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  refile:     In   3 d.:  TODO [#A] Sullivan Chapter                                         :REFILE::
  refile:     In   5 d.:  TODO [#A] Blog                                                     :REFILE::
  refile:     In   3 d.:  TODO [#B] Exercise 1                                               :REFILE::
  Diary:      Shemini Atzeret
  Diary:      Columbus Day
  habits:     TODO [#B] habit1                                                 *!            :HABIT::
  habits:     TODO [#A] habit2                                                  !            :HABIT::
  habits:     TODO [#B] habit3                                                  !            :HABIT::
  habits:     TODO [#B] habit4                                                  !            :HABIT::
  habits:     TODO [#A] habit5                                                  !            :HABIT::

Thanks

Renger

Renger van Nieuwkoop
Goldiwilstrasse 16 F / 3600 Thun
Tel +41 33 221 53 05 / +41 79 818 53 73
mailto: renger@vannieuwkoop.ch

* Re: Problems with habit sorting
@ 2012-10-08 16:28 ` François Allisson
From: François Allisson @ 2012-10-08 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renger van Nieuwkoop; +Cc: Org mode

Le lundi 08 oct 2012 à 15:32:27 (+0000), Renger van Nieuwkoop a écrit :
> Hi
> I have an agenda-view where I can see all my habits. They have priorities but
> are not sorted.
> Any idea how to sort them according to priority.

Hi Renger,

You should probably customise the variable org-agenda-sorting-strategy,
with the symbol priority-down, i.e. by adding this line to the
definition of your custom agenda-view:

  (org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(priority-down todo-state-up tag-up))

You can then fine-tuning inside priorities, according to your needs
(here, todo-state-up and tag-up for an example). See the docstring for
org-agenda-sorting-strategy:

***************************************
* org-agenda-sorting-strategy is a variable defined in `org-agenda.el'.
* Its value is ((agenda habit-down time-up priority-down category-keep)
*  (todo priority-down category-keep)
*  (tags priority-down category-keep)
*  (search category-keep))
*
*
* Documentation:
* Sorting structure for the agenda items of a single day.
* This is a list of symbols which will be used in sequence to determine
* if an entry should be listed before another entry.  The following
* symbols are recognized:
*
* time-up            Put entries with time-of-day indications first, early first
* time-down          Put entries with time-of-day indications first, late first
* category-keep      Keep the default order of categories, corresponding to the
* 		   sequence in `org-agenda-files'.
* category-up        Sort alphabetically by category, A-Z.
* category-down      Sort alphabetically by category, Z-A.
* tag-up             Sort alphabetically by last tag, A-Z.
* tag-down           Sort alphabetically by last tag, Z-A.
* priority-up        Sort numerically by priority, high priority last.
* priority-down      Sort numerically by priority, high priority first.
* todo-state-up      Sort by todo state, tasks that are done last.
* todo-state-down    Sort by todo state, tasks that are done first.
* effort-up          Sort numerically by estimated effort, high effort last.
* effort-down        Sort numerically by estimated effort, high effort first.
* user-defined-up    Sort according to `org-agenda-cmp-user-defined', high last.
* user-defined-down  Sort according to `org-agenda-cmp-user-defined', high first.
* habit-up           Put entries that are habits first
* habit-down         Put entries that are habits last
* alpha-up           Sort headlines alphabetically
* alpha-down         Sort headlines alphabetically, reversed
*
* The different possibilities will be tried in sequence, and testing stops
* if one comparison returns a "not-equal".  For example, the default
*     '(time-up category-keep priority-down)
* means: Pull out all entries having a specified time of day and sort them,
* in order to make a time schedule for the current day the first thing in the
* agenda listing for the day.  Of the entries without a time indication, keep
* the grouped in categories, don't sort the categories, but keep them in
* the sequence given in `org-agenda-files'.  Within each category sort by
* priority.
*
* Leaving out `category-keep' would mean that items will be sorted across
* categories by priority.
*
* Instead of a single list, this can also be a set of list for specific
* contents, with a context symbol in the car of the list, any of
* `agenda', `todo', `tags', `search' for the corresponding agenda views.
*
* Custom commands can bind this variable in the options section.
*
* You can customize this variable.

HTH,

François.