* [OT] Org spotted in the wild
@ 2012-09-17 11:12 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-09-17 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

While looking for a solution to the problem of emacs hanging if the SSH
connection to remote files goes down, I came across this website:

http://mosh.mit.edu/

which is about an alternative for SSH, but has a
screenshot of Org on its frontpage.

Cheers

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de

* Re: [OT] Org spotted in the wild
@ 2012-09-17 13:40 ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2012-09-17 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> While looking for a solution to the problem of emacs hanging if the SSH
> connection to remote files goes down

Did you find one (a solution, that is)? This has been bothering me for a
while as well...

-Toke

--
Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
toke@toke.dk

* Re: [OT] Org spotted in the wild
@ 2012-09-17 14:55   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-09-17 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@toke.dk> writes:

> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> While looking for a solution to the problem of emacs hanging if the SSH
>> connection to remote files goes down
>
> Did you find one (a solution, that is)? This has been bothering me for a
> while as well...
>
> -Toke

Following this article

http://blogs.perl.org/users/smylers/2011/08/ssh-productivity-tips.html

I'm currently trying out the following settings in .ssh/config

,-----------------------
| TCPKeepAlive no
| ServerAliveInterval 60
| ServerAliveCountMax 10
`-----------------------

Seems to be OK, but the problem is fairly sporadic anyway and normally
I'm on a less flaky network, so it might be a little difficult to say if
that is really the solution.

However, looking at

,---------------
| man ssh_config
`---------------

setting TCPKeepAlive to 'no' seems like a good idea.

Cheers,

Loris

--

@ 2012-09-17 18:13     ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2012-09-17 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> setting TCPKeepAlive to 'no' seems like a good idea.

Right, well my connection problems usually come from suspending my
laptop and/or moving it to a different network, so it seems to me this
change would probably be counter productive in my case... But thanks
anyway, and that SSH productivity thing does seem to be useful. :)

-Toke

--
Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
toke@toke.dk

* Re: [OT] Org spotted in the wild
@ 2012-09-18  6:25 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-18  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Loris,

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> http://mosh.mit.edu/

I must admit that I designed the new website based on the one above.

The result is not as neat, but close enough.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [OT] Org spotted in the wild
@ 2012-09-18 13:22   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-18 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@toke.dk> writes:

> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> While looking for a solution to the problem of emacs hanging if the SSH
>> connection to remote files goes down
>
> Did you find one (a solution, that is)? This has been bothering me for a
> while as well...

I've been using mosh for a couple weeks now, and I'm really happy about
it: connections survive changing ip addresses and the laptop going to
sleep. I find it quite robust.

Alan

* Re: [OT] Org spotted in the wild
@ 2012-09-18 13:34     ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2012-09-18 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> I've been using mosh for a couple weeks now, and I'm really happy
> about it: connections survive changing ip addresses and the laptop
> going to sleep. I find it quite robust.

Does mosh work as a drop-in replacement for SSH in emacs (tramp) usage
as well?

-Toke

--
Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
toke@toke.dk

* Re: [OT] Org spotted in the wild
@ 2012-09-18 20:03   ` Michael Strey
From: Michael Strey @ 2012-09-18 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:25:55AM +0200, Bastien wrote:

> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
> > http://mosh.mit.edu/
>
> I must admit that I designed the new website based on the one above.
>
> The result is not as neat, but close enough.

mosh.mit.edu was built with the Twitter Bootstrap CSS framework.
See http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/.

--
Michael Strey
mailto:mstrey@strey.biz

* Re: [OT] Org spotted in the wild
@ 2012-09-19  6:20     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-19  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

Michael Strey <mstrey@strey.biz> writes:

> mosh.mit.edu was built with the Twitter Bootstrap CSS framework.
> See http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/.

Beautiful!  I'll still to the current design (with upcoming minor
improvements) mainly because I want to generate the orgmode.org
website with .org files.  But bootstrap really looks like something
I can reuse for other projects.

Thanks for the link!

--
 Bastien

* Re: [OT] Org spotted in the wild
@ 2012-09-19  7:20       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-19  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@toke.dk> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> I've been using mosh for a couple weeks now, and I'm really happy
>> about it: connections survive changing ip addresses and the laptop
>> going to sleep. I find it quite robust.
>
> Does mosh work as a drop-in replacement for SSH in emacs (tramp) usage
> as well?

It does not seem to be the case yet, but it looks like tramp developers
asked mosh developers about it:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2012-09/msg00019.html

Alan