* Latest version of Org-mode 7.8.3?
@ 2012-08-08 18:08 'Mash
From: 'Mash @ 2012-08-08 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I have a 'closed' thread going on here in regards to mobileorg-android:
https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/issues/264

I have been told to use the latest org-mode which is apparently 7.8.3?

But if I follow the instructions:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#How do I keep current with
bleeding edge development?

      M-x org-version
      Org-mode version 6.33x (release_7.8.11.409.ga3778)

Am I missing something with the installation or repository?

Thanks,

'Mash

* Re: Latest version of Org-mode 7.8.3?
@ 2012-08-08 18:16 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-08-08 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mash; +Cc: Org Mode

'Mash <mashdot@toshine.net> writes:

> I have a 'closed' thread going on here in regards to mobileorg-android:
> https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/issues/264
>
> I have been told to use the latest org-mode which is apparently 7.8.3?
>
> But if I follow the instructions:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#How do I keep current with
> bleeding edge development?
>
>      M-x org-version
>      Org-mode version 6.33x (release_7.8.11.409.ga3778)
>
> Am I missing something with the installation or repository?

You are on 409 and I am on 414 i.e., Org.7.8.11-414..  Rest assured, you
have the latest Org.

@ 2012-08-08 18:23   ` 'Mash
From: 'Mash @ 2012-08-08 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Quoting Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>:
> 'Mash <mashdot@toshine.net> writes:
>
>> I have a 'closed' thread going on here in regards to mobileorg-android:
>> https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/issues/264
>>
>> I have been told to use the latest org-mode which is apparently 7.8.3?
>>
>> But if I follow the instructions:
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#How do I keep current with
>> bleeding edge development?
>>
>>      M-x org-version
>>      Org-mode version 6.33x (release_7.8.11.409.ga3778)
>>
>> Am I missing something with the installation or repository?
>
> You are on 409 and I am on 414 i.e., Org.7.8.11-414..  Rest assured, you
> have the latest Org.

OK thanks for the confirmation. I thought I was going a bit mad,
especially after a google brought up this...

"I am using the latest cvs version of emacs and recently-updated
version 7.8.3 of org-mode."

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-01/msg00149.html

* Latest version of Org-mode 7.8.3?
@ 2012-08-09 22:28 Ciaran Mulloy
From: Ciaran Mulloy @ 2012-08-09 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,
I'm relatively new to org-mode and a non-techie but grappling by and large with
the steep learning curve and enjoying it!

I had a simple question that I haven't been able to get an easy answer to.
I've just compiled the latest build of emacs 24.1 from the gnu.org website which
currently has the latest build of org-mode (7.8.11 I believe).

I've also cloned the bleeding edge git repository onto my PC (as I'm interested
in getting the benefit of recent patches for exporting to Taskjuggler 3) and did
a make into my ~/elisp directory.

My question: how do I validate that I have the latest build version of org-mode
running as when I do a 'M-x org-version' I just get the answer '7.8.11'.

I've put a line in my .emacs file to add my ~/elisp directory to my load path
however it's not clear how I get emacs to load the newer files I've compiled to
my ~/elisp directory over the existing emacs 24.1 build.

I've gone through the FAQ section on the org-mode website and couldn't seem to
find any hints for my issue.

Ciaran

* Re: Latest version of Org-mode 7.8.3?
@ 2012-08-10  2:34 ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2012-08-10  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ciaran Mulloy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hey Ciaran,

as far as I remember you need to call

(require 'org-install)

to make emacs load your installation instead of the default one.
Add it to your emacs config and check out org-version again

Also you might be interesting to use the emacs-package manager which
is a rather new feature of emacs.
Org-mode versions there might be a good compromise between stability
and  up-to-dateness. Check here for details

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-via-elpa

Torsten

@ 2012-08-10  6:11   ` 'Mash (Thomas Herbert)
From: 'Mash (Thomas Herbert) @ 2012-08-10  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

I asked a similar question earlier.

I did though have to point to the lisp dir of org-mode git clone specifically and add the "org-install" line as mentioned.

If you look at my question a few days ago there is no 7.8.3.

'Mash

@ 2012-08-12  9:00   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-08-12  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 11:46:32PM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:
> 'Mash <mashdot@toshine.net> writes:
>
> >      M-x org-version
> >      Org-mode version 6.33x (release_7.8.11.409.ga3778)
> >
> > Am I missing something with the installation or repository?
>
> You are on 409 and I am on 414 i.e., Org.7.8.11-414..  Rest assured, you
> have the latest Org.

Why does it mention both 6.33 and 7.8.11?  Is the installation mixed
with the bundled version?  If that is the case, it needs to be fixed or
the OP will have loads of problems in the future.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Latest version of Org-mode 7.8.3?
@ 2012-08-12  9:16     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-12  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 11:46:32PM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:
>> 'Mash <mashdot@toshine.net> writes:
>>
>> >      M-x org-version
>> >      Org-mode version 6.33x (release_7.8.11.409.ga3778)
>> >
>> > Am I missing something with the installation or repository?
>>
>> You are on 409 and I am on 414 i.e., Org.7.8.11-414..  Rest assured, you
>> have the latest Org.
>>

> Why does it mention both 6.33 and 7.8.11?

6.33 is the version of the org.el in Emacs.

7.8.11 is the version of the git distribution of Org, also available on
the OP's computer.

My guess is that OP's ~/.emacs.el loads Org *before* it adds the
directory with the git distribution to the load-path.

So org-version is first set to 6.33, but M-x org-version RET reports
the version from the git repo.

> Is the installation mixed with the bundled version?

Certainly.

> If that is the case, it needs to be fixed or
> the OP will have loads of problems in the future.

Indeed... thanks for bringing this up again!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Latest version of Org-mode 7.8.3?
@ 2012-08-12  9:57       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-08-12  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 11:16:03AM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Suvayu,
>
> > Is the installation mixed with the bundled version?
>
> Certainly.
>
> > If that is the case, it needs to be fixed or
> > the OP will have loads of problems in the future.
>
> Indeed... thanks for bringing this up again!

I added this entry to the FAQ:
<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mixed-install>

> --
>  Bastien