* "Bad" interaction between flyspell and org-mode with latest Emacs
@ 2012-04-26  9:34 Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2012-04-26  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org Mode

Hello,

#+TITLE: Example with org-mode and flyspell on.
#+AUTHOR: Vladimir Lomov

* Org-mode src blocks and flyspell

I faced with strange problem with Emacs and org-mode.

In my real example I use src blocks and run =C-c '= to
edit them in native mode (shell).

If I enter into native mode, put new line and immediately run =C-c '= to
return to org document Emacs hangs and consume all available memory (RAM and
SWAP).

Curiously that such behavior see only with revno 108012.

In echo area I see message:
#+BEGIN_QUOTE
Error in post-command-hook (flyspell-post-command-hook): (error "Marker does not point anywhere")
#+END_QUOTE

This is extract from my document:
#+BEGIN_SRC sh :exports code
_num=${1:=_num}
_num=$(( _num%5 ))
#+END_SRC

I enter into block, run =C-c '=, add new line between lines and run immediately
=C-c '= again.

If I open the file again in Emacs and run =M-x flyspell-mode= (in echo
area I see 'flyspell disable') and do the same — I again get hang and
memory consumption.

If I commented the line in mine .emacs file:
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
and tried again — all works fine.

Is this known behavior or new "bug"?

** Info

Emacs: build from BZR (rev. 108012+) vs GTK3;
org-mode: packaged from git and installed in my system (Archlinux).

P.S. I reported this here because don't know how to trigger similar
behavior without org-mode.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
If you notice that a person is deceiving you, they must not be
deceiving you very well.

* Re: "Bad" interaction between flyspell and org-mode with latest Emacs
@ 2012-04-27 21:49 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-27 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Lomov; +Cc: Emacs Org Mode

Hello Vladimir,

I can't reproduce the problem you describe, but maybe I misunderstood
some of the steps... if you can, please describe a reproducible recipe.
Also mention Org's version explicitely.

I'm not using flyspell regularily, only for testing, so perhaps
others will have more helpful answers!

 Bastien

* Re: "Bad" interaction between flyspell and org-mode with latest Emacs
@ 2012-04-28  2:44   ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2012-04-28  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs Org Mode

Hello Bastien,
** Bastien [2012-04-27 23:49:06 +0200]:

> Hello Vladimir,

> I can't reproduce the problem you describe, but maybe I misunderstood
> some of the steps... if you can, please describe a reproducible recipe.
> Also mention Org's version explicitely.

> I'm not using flyspell regularily, only for testing, so perhaps
> others will have more helpful answers!

It took me awhile to prepare minimal example.

Emacs: bzr revno 108056
org-mode: 7.8.09-413-g21e24f @ /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-install.el

The same example file (~example.org~) and the same procecure to get
"strange" behavior (I don't know how to explain it more precisely than
that: run =C-c '= in src block, enter new line and immediately run =C-c
'= again), but now there is not message in echo area about 'flyspell'.

I prepared ~debug.el~ to run Emacs:
$ emacs -Q -l ~/tmp/debug.el

#+name: debug.el
#+begin_src elisp
(setq load-path (cons "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org" load-path))

(custom-set-variables
  '(show-paren-mode t)
)

(require 'org-install)
#+end_src

Again, it is rather hard to catch this, once I run the sequence of
commands and seems it is ok, but next time it hangs (I run emacs in
cgroup controlled environment with switched off swap so emacs is killed
when memory is exhausted)

Revno 108011 is ok with this example.

P.S. There is similar bug report already (bug#11351), I posted my
original message there, but now I not sure if it is the same problem.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Usage: fortune -P [-f] -a [xsz] Q: file [rKe9] -v6[+] file1 ...

* Re: "Bad" interaction between flyspell and org-mode with latest Emacs
@ 2012-04-29  9:31     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-29  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Lomov; +Cc: Emacs Org Mode

Hi Vladimir,

Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> writes:

> Emacs: bzr revno 108056
> org-mode: 7.8.09-413-g21e24f @ /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-install.el
>
> The same example file (~example.org~) and the same procecure to get
> "strange" behavior (I don't know how to explain it more precisely than
> that: run =C-c '= in src block, enter new line and immediately run =C-c
> '= again), but now there is not message in echo area about 'flyspell'.

[...]

> Revno 108011 is ok with this example.

So a more recent Emacs does not have this problem?

Anyway, looks like it's more related to Emacs than to Org anyway...
I'm putting this out of my radar, maybe others might help.  Sorry!

--
 Bastien

* Re: "Bad" interaction between flyspell and org-mode with latest Emacs
@ 2012-04-29 10:47       ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2012-04-29 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs Org Mode

Hello,
** Bastien [2012-04-29 11:31:10 +0200]:

> Hi Vladimir,

> Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> writes:

>> Emacs: bzr revno 108056
>> org-mode: 7.8.09-413-g21e24f @ /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-install.el

>> The same example file (~example.org~) and the same procecure to get
>> "strange" behavior (I don't know how to explain it more precisely than
>> that: run =C-c '= in src block, enter new line and immediately run =C-c
>> '= again), but now there is not message in echo area about 'flyspell'.

> [...]

>> Revno 108011 is ok with this example.

> So a more recent Emacs does not have this problem?

Well, may be I said it too obscure, it is ok for revno <= 108011, but >=
10812 have problem.

> Anyway, looks like it's more related to Emacs than to Org anyway...
> I'm putting this out of my radar, maybe others might help.  Sorry!

I've already reported on bug#11351 (seems bug#9642 somehow related with
this issue), but I'm not confident that it is the same issue. I'll send
my reply to that thread.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Fashions have done more harm than revolutions.
		-- Victor Hugo

* Re: "Bad" interaction between flyspell and org-mode with latest Emacs
@ 2012-04-30 12:54         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-30 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Lomov; +Cc: Emacs Org Mode

Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> writes:

> Well, may be I said it too obscure, it is ok for revno <= 108011, but >=
> 10812 have problem.

Okay...  revno 10812 is a merge from an Emacs branch and contains many
changes.  The odds are good that your bug is related to a change outside
of Org.  If not, please report it here.  Thanks!

--
 Bastien