On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 02:19:27PM +0000, Andrea Crotti wrote: > What is exactly the reason for org-goto to need to be at least in the > first headline to work? > > I always get this error when I just try to jump in the first line: > byte-code: Before first headline at position 1 in buffer .. Do you by any chance have `org-goto-interface' set to outline-path-completion (or are you using org-goto with a prefix argument)? If so, I've also come across this problem. I think it's a bug in org-goto, which should pass NO-EXCLUDE to org-refile-get-location (but doesn't). The attached patch fixes this for me (or you can pull the "org-goto" branch from http://www.dr-qubit.org/git/org-mode.git). HTH, Toby -- Dr T. S. Cubitt Mathematics and Quantum Information group Department of Mathematics Complutense University Madrid, Spain email: tsc25@cantab.net web: www.dr-qubit.org