* Unicode (hindi/devnagari) in beamer export
@ 2012-02-02 11:47 Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-02-02 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I need some Hindi/Devnagari text in a beamer presentation. I am able
to use scim-bridge to enter unicode text in orgmode. But have not yet
been able to export it correctly to a beamer presentation.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Vikas

* Re: Unicode (hindi/devnagari) in beamer export
@ 2012-02-02 14:02 ` suvayu ali
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-02-02 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:47, Vikas Rawal
<vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:
> I need some Hindi/Devnagari text in a beamer presentation. I am able
> to use scim-bridge to enter unicode text in orgmode. But have not yet
> been able to export it correctly to a beamer presentation.
>
> Any pointers would be helpful.

I don't know about scim-bridge, but you can use transliteration
provided within emacs to enter the text very fluidly. As for export,
try xelatex or lualatex. They have much better unicode support. The
following should do it:

(setq org-latex-to-pdf-process
      "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
      "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
      "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f")

and

# for unicode export to pdf with xelatex
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{xltxtra}

You can choose your font with something like this:

# font for pdf export as article
#+LATEX_HEADER: \setmainfont{Linux Libertine}

Make sure you choose something which supports devanagari.

It would be nice if you report back whether it worked. I would be interested.

GL

--
Suvayu

* Re: Unicode (hindi/devnagari) in beamer export
@ 2012-02-02 14:04 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-02-02 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

> I need some Hindi/Devnagari text in a beamer presentation.

Just curious, are you using Emacs to enter Devanagari?

C-x C-m C-\ devanagari- TAB (pick whatever)
C-h C-\ (gives you the keymap)
C-\ (to switch to English again)
C-\ (to switch to devanagari)

जम्बुनाथन्

* Re: Unicode (hindi/devnagari) in beamer export
@ 2012-02-02 23:19   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-02-02 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> C-x C-m C-\ devanagari- TAB (pick whatever)
> C-h C-\ (gives you the keymap)
> C-\ (to switch to English again)
> C-\ (to switch to devanagari)

This works beautifully. Thanks.

I have to make a presentation for a workshop in Devnagari. Normally, I
use org-mode for making the presentation. The presentation includes
some work done on R and included using org-babel. So there are source
codes.

Now it turns out that the presentation has to be in devnagari because
most people in the audience do not understand hindi.

So, I have to translate my data so when they are processed in R and
presented as graphs and tables, they come in Devanagari. This works.

I have to type my notes in org-mode in Devnagari. I can do this using
scim and also using the above solution provided by you.

Then I need to export the whole thing via xetex/beamer to PDF. I am
yet to get this right but Suvayu has given some clues. Will check them
out and report back.

Thanks both of you,

@ 2012-02-03  5:09   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-02-03  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process
>       "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
>       "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
>       "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f")

Works with a minor change as below:

(setq org-latex-to-pdf-process
      '("xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
       "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
       "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"))

Rest of it went like a breeze!!

I have not yet integrated the whole thing but I can see devnagari in
my pdf export.

Thanks very much.

@ 2012-02-03 11:24     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-02-03 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 06:09, Vikas Rawal
<vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:
> Works with a minor change as below:
>
> (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process
>      '("xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
>       "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
>       "xelatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"))

Ah, extremely sorry about that typo. I am glad things worked for you. :)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Unicode (hindi/devnagari) in beamer export
@ 2012-02-10  6:09   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-02-10  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> # font for pdf export as article
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setmainfont{Linux Libertine}
>
> Make sure you choose something which supports devanagari.

Unfortunately, I do not like the latin characters of all the fonts I
have with devanagari characters. Most of them have san-serif latin
characters while I would like to use serif.

Is it possible to use different fonts for latin and devanagari
characters? I have looked at the documentation of xetex and fontspec
but could not make it work.

Gratefully,

@ 2012-02-10  8:31   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-02-10  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> # for unicode export to pdf with xelatex
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{xltxtra}
>
> You can choose your font with something like this:
>
> # font for pdf export as article
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setmainfont{Linux Libertine}

Also for the record, following minor modification was needed to make
the half-letters and conjucts display properly in the exported pdf.

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \setmainfont[Script=Devanagari]{gargi}

Vikas