* How to include section in exported Latex file, but not in table of contents
@ 2012-01-13 11:41 Viktor Rosenfeld
From: Viktor Rosenfeld @ 2012-01-13 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I would like to include an entry of my org file in the exported Latex
file, but I would like the entry to be skipped in the table of contents.

In other words, I would like to reproduce the behavior of Latex commands
like \section* and so on. Is this at all possible?

I tried EXPORT_OPTIONS: toc:nil in a property drawer below the entry,
but that didn't work out.

Thanks,
Viktor

* Re: How to include section in exported Latex file, but not in table of contents
@ 2012-01-16 12:01 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2012-01-16 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Viktor Rosenfeld <rosenfel@informatik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to include an entry of my org file in the exported Latex
> file, but I would like the entry to be skipped in the table of contents.
>
> In other words, I would like to reproduce the behavior of Latex commands
> like \section* and so on. Is this at all possible?
>
> I tried EXPORT_OPTIONS: toc:nil in a property drawer below the entry,
> but that didn't work out.
>
> Thanks,
> Viktor

AFAIK, I don't think this is possible as headlines are exported as
either \section or \section* depending on your num: setting for the
whole document.

However, it *is* possible to do the opposite of what you want, albeit
with direct latex code.  That is, you can have sections *not* included
in the table of contents automatically but have those that you want
included by adding an explicit =\addcontentsline= directive into your
org file.  For example:

#+LaTeX: \tableofcontents

* Introduction
  This is some introductory text.
* Included in toc
  #+LaTeX: \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{The actual entry in TOC}
  This section heading should appear in the table of contents.
* Conclusions
  But this will not appear in the toc.

Unfortunately, numbering is not done at all so you would have to do this
manually if you wanted numbers.  Also note that the "toc:t" setting is
actually ignored as you have not asked for numbering...  so you have to
explicitly ask for the table of contents yourself.

HTH,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.136.ge2707)

* Re: How to include section in exported Latex file, but not in table of contents
@ 2012-01-16 22:21   ` Viktor Rosenfeld
From: Viktor Rosenfeld @ 2012-01-16 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Viktor Rosenfeld <rosenfel@informatik.hu-berlin.de> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to include an entry of my org file in the exported Latex
> > file, but I would like the entry to be skipped in the table of contents.
> >
> > In other words, I would like to reproduce the behavior of Latex commands
> > like \section* and so on. Is this at all possible?
> >
> > I tried EXPORT_OPTIONS: toc:nil in a property drawer below the entry,
> > but that didn't work out.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Viktor
>
> AFAIK, I don't think this is possible as headlines are exported as
> either \section or \section* depending on your num: setting for the
> whole document.
>
> However, it *is* possible to do the opposite of what you want, albeit
> with direct latex code.  That is, you can have sections *not* included
> in the table of contents automatically but have those that you want
> included by adding an explicit =\addcontentsline= directive into your
> org file.  For example:

> #+LaTeX: \tableofcontents
>
> * Introduction
>   This is some introductory text.
> * Included in toc
>   #+LaTeX: \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{The actual entry in TOC}
>   This section heading should appear in the table of contents.
> * Conclusions
>   But this will not appear in the toc.
>
> Unfortunately, numbering is not done at all so you would have to do this
> manually if you wanted numbers.  Also note that the "toc:t" setting is
> actually ignored as you have not asked for numbering...  so you have to
> explicitly ask for the table of contents yourself.

Thanks for the info. I'll try it out, but it seems somewhat brittle,
especially with a large toc.

Cheers,
Viktor