* if both schedule and deadline, appear only once in agenda
@ 2007-10-12  5:28 Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2007-10-12  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I hope the subject line is clear, but I bet not.

I have a TODO item with both a schedule and a deadline and this
results in the item appearing twice after the deadline passes in my
Org weekly Agenda.

Is there a way that I can automatically change this behaviour? What I
do now is manually delete the schedule stamp once the deadline is
made.

Or should I maybe simply not use both stamps for the same item?

Thanks, by the way, for Org mode.

Gijs

* Re: if both schedule and deadline, appear only once in agenda
@ 2007-10-12 12:21   ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2007-10-12 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12 Oct 2007, Bastien wrote:

>> Or should I maybe simply not use both stamps for the same item?
>
> I don't see why you need both of them. Can you answer that?

Yes.

But maybe I should not :-). But here goes: I plan to start working on
an item by date X -> schedule stamp. The item has a deadline, so ->
deadline.

Would an example help:

I'd like to be forewarned by Org that I have a new item coming onto my
todo list, as of next Monday. And I want to see that, I need to get it
done on Wednesday.

But call me crazy..

--
/* This bit of chicanery makes a unary function followed by
a parenthesis into a function with one argument, highest precedence. */

* Re: if both schedule and deadline, appear only once in agenda
@ 2007-10-12 13:05 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-12 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> I have a TODO item with both a schedule and a deadline and this
> results in the item appearing twice after the deadline passes in
> my Org weekly Agenda.

Meaning you have to blame yourself twice :)

@ 2007-10-12 13:36     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-12 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> But maybe I should not :-). But here goes: I plan to start working on
> an item by date X -> schedule stamp. The item has a deadline, so ->
> deadline.

For that I use `org-deadline-warning-days'.  I start the deadline when
it shows up in my agenda.  The default value for this is 14, but you can
set a value for each deadline like this:

  DEADLINE: <2004-02-29 Sun -10d>

Meaning that you should start the deadline 10 days before the deadline.

,----[ (info "(org)Deadlines and scheduling") ]
| You can specify a different lead time for warnings for a specific
| deadlines using the following syntax.  Here is an example with a
| warning period of 5 days `DEADLINE: <2004-02-29 Sun -5d>'.
`----

HTH,

--
Bastien

* Re: if both schedule and deadline, appear only once in agenda
@ 2012-01-10 10:15       ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2012-01-10 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:36:42 +0100
Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>
> > But maybe I should not :-). But here goes: I plan to start working on
> > an item by date X -> schedule stamp. The item has a deadline, so ->
> > deadline.
>
> For that I use `org-deadline-warning-days'.  I start the deadline when
> it shows up in my agenda.  The default value for this is 14, but you can
> set a value for each deadline like this:

I'm all on Gijs' side in using SCHEDULED and DEADLINE just the way he does.
A deadline warning for me describes some different kind of animal.

Nevertheless: If both SCHEDULED and DEADLINE passed by and no work was
done either there was no real deadline or there is a new deadline or
now you're allowed to remove the task silently.

:-)

Detlef

@ 2012-05-30  9:12       ` SW
From: SW @ 2012-05-30  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I know I'm bumping a thread from 5 years ago :)

Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs <at> hillenius.net> writes:
>
> > But maybe I should not . But here goes: I plan to start working on
> > an item by date X -> schedule stamp. The item has a deadline, so ->
> > deadline.
>
> For that I use `org-deadline-warning-days'.  I start the deadline when
> it shows up in my agenda.  The default value for this is 14, but you can
> set a value for each deadline like this:
>
>   DEADLINE: <2004-02-29 Sun -10d>
>
> Meaning that you should start the deadline 10 days before the deadline.
>
> ,----[ (info "(org)Deadlines and scheduling") ]
> | You can specify a different lead time for warnings for a specific
> | deadlines using the following syntax.  Here is an example with a
> | warning period of 5 days `DEADLINE: <2004-02-29 Sun -5d>'.
> `----

I think what the OP wanted (and what lead me to this thread) is an advanced
warning for *scheduled* items. For example, I'd like to know on the Friday
before that I have a scheduled item starting on the Monday. To do this I
SCHEDULE the item to Monday and then also set a DEADLINE for Monday, which will
obviously warn be in advance. I'm not unhappy with this solution, but I was
wondering if there were an alternative.

* Re: if both schedule and deadline, appear only once in agenda
@ 2012-05-30  9:46         ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-05-30  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SW; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM, SW <sabrewolfy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think what the OP wanted (and what lead me to this thread) is an advanced
> warning for *scheduled* items. For example, I'd like to know on the Friday
> before that I have a scheduled item starting on the Monday. To do this I
> SCHEDULE the item to Monday and then also set a DEADLINE for Monday, which will
> obviously warn be in advance. I'm not unhappy with this solution, but I was
> wondering if there were an alternative.

<http://orgmode.org/manual/Deadlines-and-scheduling.html#Deadlines-and-scheduling>

Important: Scheduling an item in Org mode should not be understood in
the same way that we understand scheduling a meeting. Setting a date
for a meeting is just a simple appointment, you should mark this entry
with a simple plain timestamp, to get this item shown on the date
where it applies. This is a frequent misunderstanding by Org users. In
Org mode, scheduling means setting a date when you want to start
working on an action item.

Suvayu

* Re: if both schedule and deadline, appear only once in agenda
@ 2012-05-30  9:52           ` SW
From: SW @ 2012-05-30  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:

> <http://orgmode.org/manual/Deadlines-and-scheduling.html#Deadlines-and-scheduling>

> Important: Scheduling an item in Org mode should not be understood in
> the same way that we understand scheduling a meeting. Setting a date
> for a meeting is just a simple appointment, you should mark this entry
> with a simple plain timestamp, to get this item shown on the date
> where it applies. This is a frequent misunderstanding by Org users. In
> Org mode, scheduling means setting a date when you want to start
> working on an action item.

Thanks. I have read that page many times and I understand what the term
"SCHEDULE" means in org-mode.

However, this is not what my question is about. My question relates to advance
warning that an item is scheduled in the future. I want to know on Friday that I
have scheduled a large project to start on Monday. That is, I would like to know
beforehand that I need to start working on a large project in a few days time.

Aside: Awesome! The spam-prevention Captcha graphic for this post is the word
"scheduled" :)

* Re: if both schedule and deadline, appear only once in agenda
@ 2012-06-01  8:09             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2012-06-01  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SW; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

SW <sabrewolfy@gmail.com> writes:
> However, this is not what my question is about. My question relates to advance
> warning that an item is scheduled in the future. I want to know on Friday that I
> have scheduled a large project to start on Monday. That is, I would like to know
> beforehand that I need to start working on a large project in a few days time.

One approach is to consider that "thinking about a large project about
to start" is itself a task so you could look at adding a task for the
Friday, when you first scheduled the large task for the Monday, to tell
you start thinking...

This might sound silly but it can actually be quite useful if you get
into the habit of thinking about such aspects when you schedule tasks.

And, of course, you can group related tasks like these as subheadings
under a common headline.

Something to think about over the weekend ;-)

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.1.50.1
: using Org release_7.8.10-630-g4144c5.dirty

* Re: if both schedule and deadline, appear only once in agenda
@ 2012-06-05 22:31               ` Mike McLean
From: Mike McLean @ 2012-06-05 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Mode; +Cc: SW