* Showing or going to previous entry from agenda view
@ 2012-06-28  8:09 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2012-06-28  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Following scenario: I see my (daily) agenda, go to a meeting (which
is scheduled regularly) and press Enter.

This jumps to the Org-mode file of this entry which has got
following (sub-)structure in the file:

* Project
  * Person X
    * <timestamp> Meeting 1
    * <timestamp> Meeting 2
    * <timestamp> Meeting 3
    * <timestamp> Meeting 4

But what Org-mode shows me when I jump directly from agenda view to
lets say «Meeting 3» is following:

* Project
  * Person X...
    * <timestamp> Meeting 3
    * <timestamp> Meeting 4

So Meeting 1 and 2 are «hidden» like being in a sparse tree. Please
do not misunderstand: This behavior is somewhat fine to me.

BUT: I also want to be able to quickly jump to «Meeting 2» when I

C-c C-p (outline-previous-visible-heading) jumps from «Meeting 3»
directly to the previous *visible* heading «Person X» and not to
«Meeting 2».

So I always end up going up, pressing TAB to expand the whole
subtree and then I start «searching» for the current Meeting once
again - which is obviously kina annoying to me :-(

I am sure, that you have got a tipp that provides me either a
heading (outline-previous-heading does not exist) or something else
I did not think about :-)

Thanks for that!

--
Karl Voit

* Re: Showing or going to previous entry from agenda view
@ 2012-06-28 11:05 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-06-28 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Following scenario: I see my (daily) agenda, go to a meeting (which
> is scheduled regularly) and press Enter.
>
> This jumps to the Org-mode file of this entry which has got
> following (sub-)structure in the file:
>
> * Project
>   * Person X
>     * <timestamp> Meeting 1
>     * <timestamp> Meeting 2
>     * <timestamp> Meeting 3
>     * <timestamp> Meeting 4
>
> But what Org-mode shows me when I jump directly from agenda view to
> lets say «Meeting 3» is following:
>
> * Project
>   * Person X...
>     * <timestamp> Meeting 3
>     * <timestamp> Meeting 4
>
> So Meeting 1 and 2 are «hidden» like being in a sparse tree. Please
> do not misunderstand: This behavior is somewhat fine to me.
>
> BUT: I also want to be able to quickly jump to «Meeting 2» when I
>
> C-c C-p (outline-previous-visible-heading) jumps from «Meeting 3»
> directly to the previous *visible* heading «Person X» and not to
> «Meeting 2».

C-c C-r should call org-reveal which will show the preceeding hidden
headline, then you can use C-c C-p normally.

HTH,
Bernt

@ 2012-06-28 14:10   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2012-06-28 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> C-c C-p (outline-previous-visible-heading) jumps from «Meeting 3»
>> directly to the previous *visible* heading «Person X» and not to
>> «Meeting 2».
>
> C-c C-r should call org-reveal which will show the preceeding hidden
> headline, then you can use C-c C-p normally.

Hm, at my side, org-reveal does not show me the items above. In
fact, org-reveal does not seem to have any effect at all :-O

--

@ 2012-07-08 19:22     ` Simon Thum
From: Simon Thum @ 2012-07-08 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: Karl Voit, emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

pretty much the same for me. org-reveal says

> With optional argument SIBLINGS, on each level of the hierarchy all
> siblings are shown.  This repairs the tree structure to what it would
> look like when opened with hierarchical calls to `org-cycle'.
> With double optional argument C-u C-u, go to the parent and show the
> entire tree.

I admit my elisp is not strong enough to bind this to one key, but it
seems like the thing you're asking for. Well hidden though.

For me it works btw.

Cheers,

Simon

@ 2012-07-09 20:12     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-07-09 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>>
>>> C-c C-p (outline-previous-visible-heading) jumps from «Meeting 3»
>>> directly to the previous *visible* heading «Person X» and not to
>>> «Meeting 2».
>>
>> C-c C-r should call org-reveal which will show the preceeding hidden
>> headline, then you can use C-c C-p normally.
>
> Hm, at my side, org-reveal does not show me the items above. In
> fact, org-reveal does not seem to have any effect at all :-O

Hi Karl,

Sorry for the late response - I've been away on vacation the past week.

C-u C-c C-r reveals all the siblings or you can just do S-TAB twice to
show contents view for the entire file.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Showing or going to previous entry from agenda view
@ 2012-07-11 12:44       ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2012-07-11 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Simon, hello Bernt!

* Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> Sorry for the late response - I've been away on vacation the past week.

No problem - these days are pretty busy at my side as well :-)

> C-u C-c C-r reveals all the siblings or you can just do S-TAB twice to
> show contents view for the entire file.

Yes, this is a great hint. I'll use S-TAB for this purpose.

--
Karl Voit