* Org-mode workshop: has anyone done this already?
@ 2012-03-07 14:38 Karl Voit
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Karl Voit @ 2012-03-07 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I do have the please of conducting an Org-mode workshop (3x4 hours)
for up to twelve participants.

So far I am planning to show my (advanced) setup in form of my
workflows for misc things as a teaser and start with basics more or
less in the order of the Org-mode manual.

I am sure that there are other people having had the pleasure of
doing such a workshop before. Is there any course material available
so that I might take a look on the content?

Thanks!

--
Karl Voit

* Re: Org-mode workshop: has anyone done this already?
@ 2012-03-07 14:50 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-03-07 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> I do have the please of conducting an Org-mode workshop (3x4 hours)
> for up to twelve participants.

Great!

> So far I am planning to show my (advanced) setup in form of my
> workflows for misc things as a teaser and start with basics more or
> less in the order of the Org-mode manual.
>
> I am sure that there are other people having had the pleasure of
> doing such a workshop before. Is there any course material available
> so that I might take a look on the content?

We held two "OrgCamps" in France, one in January 2011, another
one in April 2011.  The place to announce and document OrgCamps
is on Worg:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/orgcamps.html

The idea behind the OrgCamp was to let people freely demonstrate
how they use Org and learn from that.  AFAIU, a "workshop" is more
centred on sharing _your_ experience, which of course is fine too.

If any case, please use the Worg page above to share deliverables
(presentations, hacks, etc.) and feedback on how it went!

This way we can let this idea grow.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org-mode workshop: has anyone done this already?
@ 2012-03-07 15:24 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-03-07 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142, Karl Voit; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 7 mars 2012, at 15:38, Karl Voit wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I do have the please of conducting an Org-mode workshop (3x4 hours)
> for up to twelve participants.
>
> So far I am planning to show my (advanced) setup in form of my
> workflows for misc things as a teaser and start with basics more or
> less in the order of the Org-mode manual.

This sounds great. Are you planning on filming it?

Alan

* Re: Org-mode workshop: has anyone done this already?
@ 2012-03-07 15:48   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2012-03-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
> On 7 mars 2012, at 15:38, Karl Voit wrote:
>
>> I do have the please of conducting an Org-mode workshop (3x4 hours)
>> for up to twelve participants.
>
> This sounds great. Are you planning on filming it?

Sorry, no.

It will be held in German only anyway ...

--

@ 2012-03-07 16:02   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2012-03-07 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Karl,

Hi!

> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> I do have the please of conducting an Org-mode workshop (3x4 hours)
>> for up to twelve participants.
>
> Great!

I am looking forward to it!

> We held two "OrgCamps" in France, one in January 2011, another
> one in April 2011.  The place to announce and document OrgCamps
> is on Worg:
>
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/orgcamps.html

Stumbled upon it already, thanks.

> The idea behind the OrgCamp was to let people freely demonstrate
> how they use Org and learn from that.  AFAIU, a "workshop" is more
> centred on sharing _your_ experience, which of course is fine too.

Yes, you're right.

Title of my workshop is «Using Emacs for advanced todo and project
management» because I want to get people already using Emacs and not
knowing about Org-mode.

So I expect participants (from our technical university) which are
Emacs savvy and just want to do a next step in their personal
information management. For this I am using Org-mode.

> If any case, please use the Worg page above to share deliverables
> (presentations, hacks, etc.) and feedback on how it went!

Hm.

So far my plan is to host workshop Org-mode-file containing
configuration examples and usage examples on GitHub. This enables my
participants to download the (updated) information any time.

I did not decide whether I should do this in English or in German
(the native language of my participants).

Either way: directly hosting on Worg does not seem practical to me
since I plan to submit/commit many times from now to the course,
causing unwanted notification spam or high load on Worg.

But if my material is of any use for others, I am glad to put a link
to it on Worg.

<Background story>

In the last hours I tried to install Emacs portable and Git portable
on such a XP machine from the workshop room. I planned to use git as
update-many-times-during-workshop-preserving-local-changes tool. The
usability of this is unfortunately horrible and merge conflicts are
not being solved automatically.

So I have to stick to a prepare-everything-on-github-upfront
attempt.

The format of my material will probably look like this:

    [...]

    With following ELISP code in your configuration you can do this
    or that:

    :conf: ;; this is ELISP code
    :conf: (foo (bar))

    In Org-mode "this or that" could probably look like this:

    :org: :PROPERTIES:
    :org: :ID: this-is-an-example
    :org: :END:

    [...]

That way I can parse for the «course configuration file» and «course
Org-mode example file» separately. GitHub is able to show this kind
of formatting directly.

But I do have to sleep over it again ...

Maybe you have some input too?

--

@ 2012-03-07 16:02     ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-03-07 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>> On 7 mars 2012, at 15:38, Karl Voit wrote:
>>
>>> I do have the please of conducting an Org-mode workshop (3x4 hours)
>>> for up to twelve participants.
>>
>> This sounds great. Are you planning on filming it?
>
> Sorry, no.
>
> It will be held in German only anyway ...

In what part of Germany?
Is that open to the public - and free?
Sounds interesting.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Org-mode workshop: has anyone done this already?
@ 2012-03-07 16:19 ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2012-03-07 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142, Venkatesh Choppella; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Karl Voit <devnull@karl-voit.at> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I do have the please of conducting an Org-mode workshop (3x4 hours)
> for up to twelve participants.
>
> So far I am planning to show my (advanced) setup in form of my
> workflows for misc things as a teaser and start with basics more or
> less in the order of the Org-mode manual.
>
> I am sure that there are other people having had the pleasure of
> doing such a workshop before. Is there any course material available
> so that I might take a look on the content?

Venkatesh Choppella (cc-ed) and I have done a basic workshop [1].  But
this was a very basic workshop and it looks like you wish to do a much
more advance one.  Also, Venkatesh teaches a course in his university
that introduces students to Org-mode [2], which might be of some help.

[1] - https://github.com/vxc/org-mode-ws
[2] - http://pascal.iiit.ac.in/~itws2

--
Puneeth

* Re: Org-mode workshop: has anyone done this already?
@ 2012-03-08 11:11       ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2012-03-08 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> It will be held in German only anyway ...
>
> In what part of Germany?

No part of Germany at all.

Graz :-)

> Is that open to the public - and free?

No. It is for our «Interne Weiterbildung» (internal education
program) of our university where employees, students, and external
people can attend.

> Sounds interesting.

I try to make sure that it will be interesting :-)

--

@ 2012-03-08 11:51   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2012-03-08 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Venkatesh Choppella (cc-ed) and I have done a basic workshop [1].  But
> this was a very basic workshop and it looks like you wish to do a much
> more advance one.  Also, Venkatesh teaches a course in his university
> that introduces students to Org-mode [2], which might be of some help.
>
> [1] - https://github.com/vxc/org-mode-ws
> [2] - http://pascal.iiit.ac.in/~itws2

Very good startup material - thank you!

I'll probably use your material as a starting point and extend it a
bit. If you are interested in following the status of my material,
please watch my repository on GitHub[3].

  3. https://github.com/novoid/org-mode-workshop
--

@ 2012-03-08 13:19     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-03-08 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Venkatesh Choppella (cc-ed) and I have done a basic workshop [1].  But
>> this was a very basic workshop and it looks like you wish to do a much
>> more advance one.  Also, Venkatesh teaches a course in his university
>> that introduces students to Org-mode [2], which might be of some help.
>>
>> [1] - https://github.com/vxc/org-mode-ws
>> [2] - http://pascal.iiit.ac.in/~itws2
>
> Very good startup material - thank you!
>
> I'll probably use your material as a starting point and extend it a
> bit. If you are interested in following the status of my material,
> please watch my repository on GitHub[3].
>
>   3. https://github.com/novoid/org-mode-workshop

Later this month I will be giving a talk on the use of code blocks in
Org-mode.  I haven't yet begun preparing the slides, but when I do they
will live at https://github.com/eschulte/babel-presentation.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Org-mode workshop: has anyone done this already?
@ 2012-03-09  9:48       ` Bernard H.
From: Bernard H. @ 2012-03-09  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte <at> gmx.com> writes:

> Later this month I will be giving a talk on the use of code blocks in
> Org-mode.  I haven't yet begun preparing the slides, but when I do they
> will live at https://github.com/eschulte/babel-presentation.
>
> Cheers,

Great !
Where will it take place ? Is it possible to attend ?
Will you be video recording it ?

Best Regards,

Bernard

* Re: Org-mode workshop: has anyone done this already?
@ 2012-03-09 13:47         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-03-09 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard H.; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernard H. <un.compte.pour.tester@gmail.com> writes:

> Eric Schulte <eric.schulte <at> gmx.com> writes:
>
>> Later this month I will be giving a talk on the use of code blocks in
>> Org-mode.  I haven't yet begun preparing the slides, but when I do they
>> will live at https://github.com/eschulte/babel-presentation.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> Great !
> Where will it take place ?

On March 25th in Albuquerque New Mexico at the monthly meeting of the
Albuquerque Lisp/Scheme user group.

> Is it possible to attend ?

I would like to check with the group, but I am almost certain they
wouldn't mind extra attendees.

> Will you be video recording it ?

I have not previously been to an ABQ Lisp/Scheme meeting so I do not
know what their setup will be, but it sounds rather informal (a small
group many of which are already Org-mode literate) so my guess is that
it will not be video taped.  We may spend more time interactively
working through usage examples rather than sticking to a presentation
format.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Org-mode workshop cancelled (was: Org-mode workshop: has anyone done this already?)
@ 2012-03-13 10:12     ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2012-03-13 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> wrote:

> I'll probably use your material as a starting point and extend it a
> bit. If you are interested in following the status of my material,
> please watch my repository on GitHub[3].
>
>   3. https://github.com/novoid/org-mode-workshop

I was informed that the workshop was canceled because of too few
attendees (6 of 12 max). So I stop my preparations for now. But in
autumn, there will be the next chance of conducting this workshop.

Generally, in summer term there are much fewer attendees for our
internal educational programme so I hope the reason is not Org-mode
being an uninteresting topic :-)

But I still plan to add any workshop-related material to the github
project from above.

The good thing is though: this gives me more time for writing my PhD
thesis this month :-)

--

@ 2012-04-10 17:46           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-10 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Bernard H., emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric and all,

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

> On March 25th in Albuquerque New Mexico at the monthly meeting of the
> Albuquerque Lisp/Scheme user group.

Please don't hesitate to store informations about Org Workshops on
Worg!  That will help other workshops to happen, and to reuse existing
content.

 Bastien