From: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org-mode workshop: has anyone done this already?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:02:13 +0100	[thread overview]

* Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Karl,

Hi!

> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> I do have the please of conducting an Org-mode workshop (3x4 hours)
>> for up to twelve participants.
>
> Great!

I am looking forward to it!

> We held two "OrgCamps" in France, one in January 2011, another
> one in April 2011.  The place to announce and document OrgCamps
> is on Worg:
>
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/orgcamps.html

Stumbled upon it already, thanks.

> The idea behind the OrgCamp was to let people freely demonstrate
> how they use Org and learn from that.  AFAIU, a "workshop" is more
> centred on sharing _your_ experience, which of course is fine too.

Yes, you're right.

Title of my workshop is «Using Emacs for advanced todo and project
management» because I want to get people already using Emacs and not
knowing about Org-mode.

So I expect participants (from our technical university) which are
Emacs savvy and just want to do a next step in their personal
information management. For this I am using Org-mode.

> If any case, please use the Worg page above to share deliverables
> (presentations, hacks, etc.) and feedback on how it went!

Hm.

So far my plan is to host workshop Org-mode-file containing
configuration examples and usage examples on GitHub. This enables my
participants to download the (updated) information any time.

I did not decide whether I should do this in English or in German
(the native language of my participants).

Either way: directly hosting on Worg does not seem practical to me
since I plan to submit/commit many times from now to the course,
causing unwanted notification spam or high load on Worg.

But if my material is of any use for others, I am glad to put a link
to it on Worg.

<Background story>

In the last hours I tried to install Emacs portable and Git portable
on such a XP machine from the workshop room. I planned to use git as
update-many-times-during-workshop-preserving-local-changes tool. The
usability of this is unfortunately horrible and merge conflicts are
not being solved automatically.

So I have to stick to a prepare-everything-on-github-upfront
attempt.

The format of my material will probably look like this:

    [...]

    With following ELISP code in your configuration you can do this
    or that:

    :conf: ;; this is ELISP code
    :conf: (foo (bar))

    In Org-mode "this or that" could probably look like this:

    :org: :PROPERTIES:
    :org: :ID: this-is-an-example
    :org: :END:

    [...]

That way I can parse for the «course configuration file» and «course
Org-mode example file» separately. GitHub is able to show this kind
of formatting directly.

But I do have to sleep over it again ...

Maybe you have some input too?

--
Karl Voit