* Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: IDs on anything
@ 2011-12-01 13:48 sindikat
From: sindikat @ 2011-12-01 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Apparently my post wasn't connected to the original thread, so here it is -
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2009-03/msg00176.html

Samuel, may be i will start implementing something like that locally, on my
computer. Org already can substitute a spreadsheet or a plain-text data
storage with tables, a wiki with external and internal links etc, but it
still can't be a full-pledged key-value store (which can be used as
semantic NoSQL database).

So i would start implementing maps (dicts, key-value stores) upon org-mode.
I want to do it incrementally, adding one small feature at a time. I want
to implement the following features:

 - Automatically assign unique IDs to all headlines in buffer/region/subtree
 - Nested properties (properties are maps basically) - does that require
nested drawers?
 - Property :LINKS: and commands to navigate across headlines linked to each
other
 - Previous property does not set the nature of a link (parent, child,
prerequisite, reference), implement :LINK-TYPE: or something like that
 - Previous task allows to export to RDF, because now any relationship of
headlines can be seen as triple headline1 - type-of-link - headline2

These additions do not require any new syntax, they build upon good old
properties. After that id-markers would be a magnificent generalization.

Also, i do not promise i will do this anytime soon, i'm no expert in Emacs
Lisp.

Any thoughts welcome :)

* Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: IDs on anything
@ 2011-11-27 23:09 sindikat
From: sindikat @ 2011-11-27 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I really love this idea of ID markers. It would open so many opportunities
for semantic extensions of org-mode and not only. Using ID markers we can
make a associative array (map, dict, key-value store) out of anything.
Meaningful task planning, project management, knowledge and information
management could be made out of that. Every ID marker will effectively
become a graph vertice.

As a variant, i would propose the Clojure syntax for maps:

{"B7423F4D-2E8A-471B-8810-C40F074717E9" {:label "foo" :export-label "bar"}}

Or something like that. The nested maps are like in NoSQL DBs (ex:
CouchDB), where you have structure like {:database1 {:document1 {:key1
value1 :key2 { ... } ... } ... } ... }

However i found that curly braces are used in many occasions in org-mode:
tags mutual exclusion, column attribute summary-type, capture templates -
template expansion, tag regular expressions, #+caption: [1]{2}, macro
replacement, embedded latex, source code.

So if this syntax is unacceptable, $[] is fine too.