* Add publishing with utf8
@ 2011-11-21 22:06 sindikat
From: sindikat @ 2011-11-21 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use standard org-mode methods to publish my projects to html. However by
default they are published with tag <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1"/>, however i need charset to be
changed to "utf8", as i am using Russian in my blog too. Please make it
possible somehow. Best wishes.

* Re: Add publishing with utf8
@ 2011-11-22  1:59 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-11-22  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sindikat; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

sindikat <sindikat@mail36.net> wrote:

> I use standard org-mode methods to publish my projects to
> html. However by default they are published with tag <meta
> http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1"/>,
> however i need charset to be changed to "utf8", as i am using Russian
> in my blog too. Please make it possible somehow. Best wishes.

My html files are exported with charset=utf-8. I believe that that's
because my org-mode buffers are utf-8 and ultimately because I've
set LANG=en_US.UTF-8.

Try the following when visiting your org file (actually, a backup of your org file :-))

 o C-x RET f utf-8 RET

 o Save the file.

 o Then export it to HTML.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Add publishing with utf8
@ 2011-11-22  8:03   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-11-22  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: sindikat, emacs-orgmode

> My html files are exported with charset=utf-8. I believe that that's
> because my org-mode buffers are utf-8 and ultimately because I've
> set LANG=en_US.UTF-8.
>
> Try the following when visiting your org file (actually, a backup of
> your org file :-))
>
>  o C-x RET f utf-8 RET
>
>  o Save the file.
>
>  o Then export it to HTML.

C-h v org-export-html-coding-system

How about customizing the above variable?

> HTH,
> Nick

* Re: Add publishing with utf8
@ 2011-11-22 20:09 sindikat
From: sindikat @ 2011-11-22 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I added this to my .emacs:

(set-language-environment "UTF-8")
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
(org-export-html-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

but Emacs still opens files with pure ASCII as undecided-unix, thus
producing wrong iso-8859-1 in my charsets again. I don't know what to do.
Is there any way to force Emacs open any file as utf-8?

* Re: Add publishing with utf8
@ 2011-11-22 21:08 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-11-22 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sindikat; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

sindikat <sindikat@mail36.net> wrote:

> I added this to my .emacs:
>
> (set-language-environment "UTF-8")
> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
> (org-export-html-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

This last one is wrong:

(setq org-export-html-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

might work better. This might be all you have to do, if Jambunathan K is
correct.

Nick

* Re: Add publishing with utf8
@ 2011-11-22 21:17 ` Olaf Dietsche
From: Olaf Dietsche @ 2011-11-22 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sindikat; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"sindikat" <sindikat@mail36.net> writes:

> I added this to my .emacs:
>
> (set-language-environment "UTF-8")
> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

This is what I use. Even when I open a new file, the buffer coding
system is chosen as utf-8-unix, shown as U: in the mode line.

Maybe your environment is setup differently? What is the value of LANG
or LC_ALL or any other LC_* environment variable?

I have set LANG=de_DE.utf8.

> (org-export-html-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
>
> but Emacs still opens files with pure ASCII as undecided-unix, thus
> producing wrong iso-8859-1 in my charsets again. I don't know what to do.
> Is there any way to force Emacs open any file as utf-8?

Maybe C-h v file-coding-system-alist RET helps, if setting the
environment doesn't solve your problem.

Regards, Olaf

* Re: Add publishing with utf8
@ 2011-11-23 14:49 sindikat
From: sindikat @ 2011-11-23 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Now i have

(set-language-environment "UTF-8")
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
(setq org-export-html-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

and publishing works perfectly. Funny, that i have every locale set to
"en_US.UTF-8", but LANGUAGE and LC_ALL set to empty. But when i set them to
"en_US.UTF-8", Emacs still opens non-utf8 files as "undecided-unix". In
file-coding-system-alist i found expression ("" undecided) and when i
changed it to utf-8-unix, every file started opening with this encoding.

I've solved my problem, thanks to you all.

I only not sure why opening everything as utf8 wasn't made default in Emacs.