* View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda
@ 2011-11-07 12:03 Fabrizio Chiarello
From: Fabrizio Chiarello @ 2011-11-07 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have many tasks with a DEADLINE, and I wish to have their subtasks to
inherit such DEADLINE. To this aim, I set:

  (setq org-use-property-inheritance (quote ("DEADLINE")))

The problem is that the agenda only shows deadlines for the tasks that
define them (the parent tasks) and not for the subtasks. Is there a way
to view the inherited deadlines in the agenda?

Thanks in advance,
fc

--
Fabrizio Chiarello <fabrizio.chiarello@ieee.org>
Photonics and Electromagnetics Group

Planets are too dim to be detected with existing equipment, far away,
except in these very special circumstances where they're seen by their
gravitational effect.
  -- Murray Gell-Mann

* Re: View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda
@ 2011-11-07 12:19 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2011-11-07 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrizio Chiarello; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Fabrizio Chiarello <fabrizio.chiarello@ieee.org> writes:

> I have many tasks with a DEADLINE, and I wish to have their subtasks to
> inherit such DEADLINE. To this aim, I set:
>
>   (setq org-use-property-inheritance (quote ("DEADLINE")))
>

> The problem is that the agenda only shows deadlines for the tasks that
> define them

is DEADLINE  a property that can be inherited?

would you please post an example file?
Thanks,

Giovanni

* Re: View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda
@ 2011-11-07 12:22   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-11-07 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Fabrizio Chiarello

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 13:19, Giovanni Ridolfi
<giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:
> Fabrizio Chiarello <fabrizio.chiarello@ieee.org> writes:
>

>> I have many tasks with a DEADLINE, and I wish to have their subtasks to
>> inherit such DEADLINE. To this aim, I set:
>>
>>   (setq org-use-property-inheritance (quote ("DEADLINE")))
>>

>> The problem is that the agenda only shows deadlines for the tasks that
>> define them
>
> is DEADLINE  a property that can be inherited?
>
> would you please post an example file?

I don't think DEADLINE is a property at all.

--
Suvayu

* Re: View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda
@ 2011-11-07 13:16     ` Fabrizio Chiarello
From: Fabrizio Chiarello @ 2011-11-07 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 01:22:31PM +0100, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 13:19, Giovanni Ridolfi
> <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:
> > Fabrizio Chiarello <fabrizio.chiarello@ieee.org> writes:
> >

> >> I have many tasks with a DEADLINE, and I wish to have their subtasks to
> >> inherit such DEADLINE. To this aim, I set:
> >>
> >>   (setq org-use-property-inheritance (quote ("DEADLINE")))
> >>

> >> The problem is that the agenda only shows deadlines for the tasks that
> >> define them
> >
> > is DEADLINE  a property that can be inherited?
> >
> > would you please post an example file?
>
> I don't think DEADLINE is a property at all.

In my org 7.7 manual, in section "7.2 Special properties", DEADLINE is
defined as a (special) property.

By the way, consider the following example:

* TODO parent
  DEADLINE: <2011-12-31 Sat>
** TODO child A
** TODO child B
   DEADLINE: <2011-11-30 Wed>
** TODO child C

In my workflow, to mark "parent" as DONE i have to complete "child" A,B
and C. And it would be nice to have child A and C inherit the DEADLINE
from the parent, and to show up in the agenda. Any idea?

--
Fabrizio Chiarello <fabrizio.chiarello@ieee.org>
Photonics and Electromagnetics Group
Department of Information Engineering
University of Padova, Italy

Intelligence is quickness to apprehend as distinct form ability, which
is capacity to act wisely on the thing apprehended.
  -- Alfred North Whitehead

* Re: View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda
@ 2011-11-07 13:23       ` Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2011-11-07 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrizio Chiarello; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I second this.

Tt would seem logical (to me at least) that the deadline should be
inherited. I.e. in order to finish the project in time one has to also
finish the subtasks in time.

Right now the following property is illogical from this point of view:

  (setq org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks 'invisible)

since it hides the parent in the agenda even if the date is in the past!

/Gustav

@ 2011-11-07 14:29   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-11-07 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Fabrizio Chiarello

On Nov 7, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:

> Fabrizio Chiarello <fabrizio.chiarello@ieee.org> writes:
>

>> I have many tasks with a DEADLINE, and I wish to have their subtasks to
>> inherit such DEADLINE. To this aim, I set:
>>
>>  (setq org-use-property-inheritance (quote ("DEADLINE")))
>>

>> The problem is that the agenda only shows deadlines for the tasks that
>> define them
>
> is DEADLINE  a property that can be inherited?

Deadlines can currently *not* be inherited.  I would probably advice
against implementing this because of performance issues that would
result for the construction of the agenda.

- Carsten

> would you please post an example file?
> Thanks,
>
> Giovanni

- Carsten

* Re: View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda
@ 2011-11-07 19:46     ` Fabrizio Chiarello
From: Fabrizio Chiarello @ 2011-11-07 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 03:29:41PM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:
>
> > Fabrizio Chiarello <fabrizio.chiarello@ieee.org> writes:
> >

> >> I have many tasks with a DEADLINE, and I wish to have their subtasks to
> >> inherit such DEADLINE. To this aim, I set:
> >>
> >>  (setq org-use-property-inheritance (quote ("DEADLINE")))
> >>

> >> The problem is that the agenda only shows deadlines for the tasks that
> >> define them
> >
> > is DEADLINE  a property that can be inherited?
>
> Deadlines can currently *not* be inherited.  I would probably advice
> against implementing this because of performance issues that would
> result for the construction of the agenda.
>
> - Carsten

Do you have any suggestion on how to implement the inherit of DEADLINE
from parent and how to show them in the agenda? At least for me, having
this feature working would repay the extra computation time required for
the construction of the agenda.

Thanks in advance,
F.

--
Fabrizio Chiarello <fabrizio.chiarello@ieee.org>
Photonics and Electromagnetics Group
Department of Information Engineering
University of Padova, Italy

For many people my software is something that you install and forget. I
like to keep it that way.
  -- Wietse Venema

* Re: View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda
@ 2011-11-08 22:35     ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2011-11-08 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Fabrizio Chiarello

On 7 November 2011 16:29, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:
>
>> Fabrizio Chiarello <fabrizio.chiarello@ieee.org> writes:
>>

>>> I have many tasks with a DEADLINE, and I wish to have their subtasks to
>>> inherit such DEADLINE. To this aim, I set:
>>>
>>>  (setq org-use-property-inheritance (quote ("DEADLINE")))
>>>

>>> The problem is that the agenda only shows deadlines for the tasks that
>>> define them
>>
>> is DEADLINE  a property that can be inherited?
>
> Deadlines can currently *not* be inherited.  I would probably advice
> against implementing this because of performance issues that would
> result for the construction of the agenda.
>
> - Carsten

Hi all,

Here's a thought: what about a function which scans a subtree of an
item that has a deadline and adds that same deadline to any
descendants that lack a deadline? It seems to me that this would, via
a one time user intervention, meet the OP's need, without the constant
overhead  about which Carsten is concerned.

It further occurred to me that invoked without arguments, it would
prompt the user for each item without deadline, with a prefix
argument, apply all the deadlines automatically, and, with a numeric
prefix n, automatically apply the alterations n-levels down.

Best,

Brian vdB

* Re: View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda
@ 2011-11-09  8:10       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-11-09  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Fabrizio Chiarello

On 8.11.2011, at 23:35, Brian van den Broek wrote:

> On 7 November 2011 16:29, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> is DEADLINE  a property that can be inherited?
>>
>> Deadlines can currently *not* be inherited.  I would probably advice
>> against implementing this because of performance issues that would
>> result for the construction of the agenda.
>>
>> - Carsten
>

> Hi all,
>
> Here's a thought: what about a function which scans a subtree of an
> item that has a deadline and adds that same deadline to any
> descendants that lack a deadline? It seems to me that this would, via
> a one time user intervention, meet the OP's need, without the constant
> overhead  about which Carsten is concerned.

This is a good idea and very easy to do.
The only disadvantage is that any new entries you make
would not get the deadline.  Though, I think, one
could put a function into org-insert-heading-hook
to check for a deadline higher up in the tree and copy it.

- Carsten

@ 2011-11-14 13:38         ` Fabrizio Chiarello
From: Fabrizio Chiarello @ 2011-11-14 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Brian van den Broek, Carsten Dominik

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 09:10:57AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On 8.11.2011, at 23:35, Brian van den Broek wrote:

> >> Deadlines can currently *not* be inherited.  I would probably advice
> >> against implementing this because of performance issues that would
> >> result for the construction of the agenda.
> >>
> >> - Carsten
> >

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here's a thought: what about a function which scans a subtree of an
> > item that has a deadline and adds that same deadline to any
> > descendants that lack a deadline? It seems to me that this would, via
> > a one time user intervention, meet the OP's need, without the constant
> > overhead  about which Carsten is concerned.
>
> This is a good idea and very easy to do.
> The only disadvantage is that any new entries you make
> would not get the deadline.  Though, I think, one
> could put a function into org-insert-heading-hook
> to check for a deadline higher up in the tree and copy it.
>
> - Carsten
>

> > It further occurred to me that invoked without arguments, it would
> > prompt the user for each item without deadline, with a prefix
> > argument, apply all the deadlines automatically, and, with a numeric
> > prefix n, automatically apply the alterations n-levels down.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Brian vdB

I solved by adding the following block in the agenda:

;;;
(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '( ...
	(" " "Agenda"
	 ( ...
	  (todo "TODO|CANCELLED|NEXT|STARTED|WAITING|HOLD"
		((org-agenda-overriding-header "Inheritable DEADLINEs")
		 (org-agenda-skip-function 'fc/skip-non-inheritable-deadlines)))
))))
;;;

which shows the tasks without deadline that can inherit a deadline from
one of the parents. Then with the following keys I can set the deadline
of a task to that of the parent directly in the agenda.

;;;
(add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
	    (org-defkey org-agenda-mode-map "D" 'fc/org-agenda-inherit-deadline))
          'append)

;;;

The rest of the functions are below

;;;
(defun fc/has-inheritable-deadline-p ()
  "Any task (without DEADLINE) that can inherit a DEADLINE"
  (let ((deadline (org-entry-get nil "DEADLINE"))
	(inheritable-deadline (org-entry-get-with-inheritance "DEADLINE")))

    (if (org-not-nil deadline)
	nil
      (if (org-not-nil inheritable-deadline)
	nil))))

(defun fc/skip-non-inheritable-deadlines ()
  "Skip tasks that cannot inherit a DEADLINE"
  (let* ((next-headline (save-excursion (or (outline-next-heading) (point-max)))))
    (if (fc/has-inheritable-deadline-p)
	nil
      next-headline)))

(defun fc/org-inherit-deadline ()
  "Inherit a DEADLINE."
  (interactive)
  (let* ((deadline (org-entry-get-with-inheritance "DEADLINE")))
    (if (and (org-not-nil deadline)
	     (y-or-n-p (format "Inherit DEADLINE: <%s>? " deadline)))
	(org-deadline nil (org-time-string-to-time deadline)))))

(defun fc/org-agenda-inherit-deadline (&optional arg)
  "Inherit a DEADLINE in agenda."
  (interactive "P")
  (let* ((marker (or (org-get-at-bol 'org-marker)
		     (org-agenda-error)))
	 (hdmarker (or (org-get-at-bol 'org-hd-marker)
		       marker))
	 (pos (marker-position marker))
	 newhead)
    (org-with-remote-undo (marker-buffer marker)
      (with-current-buffer (marker-buffer marker)
	(widen)
	(goto-char pos)
	(org-show-context 'agenda)
	(org-show-entry)
	(org-cycle-hide-drawers 'children)
	(fc/org-inherit-deadline)
	(setq newhead (org-get-heading)))
      (org-agenda-change-all-lines newhead hdmarker))))

;;;

--
Fabrizio Chiarello <fabrizio.chiarello@ieee.org>
Photonics and Electromagnetics Group
Department of Information Engineering
University of Padova, Italy

Wisdom alone is true ambition's aim, wisdom is the source of virtue and
of fame; obtained with labour, for mankind employed, and then, when most
you share it, best enjoyed.
  -- Alfred North Whitehead

* Re: View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda
@ 2012-04-03  7:16           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-03  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrizio Chiarello; +Cc: Brian van den Broek, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Hi Fabrizio,

Fabrizio Chiarello <fabrizio.chiarello@ieee.org> writes:

> I solved by adding the following block in the agenda:

This is a nice and useful hack.

Can you consider adding it to Worg/org-hacks.org?

If you want, just send me the .org content that I would
add to org-hacks.org.  Otherwise send me your public key
and I'll give you write access to Worg.

Thanks in advance for your contribution!

--
 Bastien

* Re: View inherited DEADLINEs in agenda
@ 2012-04-11 13:38             ` Vedang
From: Vedang @ 2012-04-11 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien
  Cc: Brian van den Broek, emacs-orgmode, Fabrizio Chiarello,
	Carsten Dominik

Hi All,

I had asked a similar question on StackOverflow a long time ago
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4872088/is-there-any-way-for-subtasks-to-inherit-deadlines-in-org-mode)
and one of the answers was useful to me - namely,
http://stackoverflow.com/a/8920418/137430.

Adding the answer here for sake of completion.

"How about a function for adding subtasks? This one adds a deadline to
the subtask if its parent has one:

(defun my-org-insert-sub-task ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((parent-deadline (org-get-deadline-time nil)))
    (org-goto-sibling)
    (org-insert-todo-subheading t)
    (when parent-deadline
      (org-deadline nil parent-deadline))))

Don't forget to bind it to a key:

(define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c s") 'my-org-insert-sub-task)"

--
Unix is simple. It takes a genius to understand it's simplicity.    -    Anon
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't

Cheers,
Vedang.

Programmer,
Infinitely Beta.