From: Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
To: "Gustav Wikström" <gustav.erik@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Link abbreviations, org-files with searches
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:01:21 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:33:31 +0100
Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Suvayu!
>
> I know about the normal links and the possibility to search with
> these. The thing is that I want to use an abbreviation (see sec. 4.6
> in the manual) to not have to type the path for this particular link
> every time.
>
> Instead of typing (1)
>
> [[file:/path/to/file.org::*<Heading_text>][Description]]
>
> I want to be able to add an abbreviation in the beginning of the file
> the link is in, with (2):
>
> #+LINK: foo     file:/long/path/to/file/foo.org
>
> and then use this abbreviation later in the text with (3):
>
> [[foo][Description]]

Okay now I follow you. I believe you are misunderstanding the syntax.
It should be like this (copying from my test example):

#+LINK: odir file:~/org/coding.org::

[[odir:Distributed%20analysis][Distributed analysis]]
[[odir:#ganga][Ganga]]

That said I had trouble getting the search to work with org files but I
will admit I did not try hard enough.

> ,and also be able to use searches with this abbreviation. And it is
> this syntax that seems a bit cumbersome to use when adding
> headline-searching to it (requiring four ":") and does not work when
> trying to use regular search. Unless I'm doing something wrong.
>
> I also know that I could add the "::%s" to the link, giving (4):
>
> #+LINK: foo     file:/long/path/to/file/foo.org::%s
>
> but this makes it unusable as a simple file link without search. I
> intend to use the link in multiple places inside my document both
> with and without searches, thus I'm still wondering about this
> syntax-issue and the non-headline search.

How is it unusable? Shouldn't the following work with the above setting?

[[foo:<search_string>][Description]]
[[foo:*<Headline_string>][Description]]

Of course I didn't have the time to test this variation, so indeed there
could be a bug. :-p

> Regards
> Gustav
>
> (PS. sorry for the double-mail Suvayu. )

No worries. Hope the above suggestions help.

--
Suvayu