* Use org for jobs/resume writing?
@ 2011-07-19  3:09 Nathan Neff
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nathan Neff @ 2011-07-19  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry, I don't know the alt-key code for the "e" at the end of resume :-)

I was looking at the export-to-odt functionality and thought about
re-doing my resume (the content) in .org, then exporting it to .odt for
some cleanup / formatting.

Does anyone else do something similar?

I would also think that the HTML export would be useful for resume
writing.

Using org mode for resume writing would have some advantages, in my opinion.

* the ability to easily search / track the resumes that I've sent or concocted
* Much easier to alter / remove bullet points that you want to send to
a potential
employer.  For example, you could have a setup like this:

* Export
** Job #1
*** Did this
*** Did that
**

* Potential
** Job #1
*** Did something that doesn't pertain to the current job I'm sending
a resume to, but I want to keep this for later

I suck at Word/Open Office, so I cringe whenever I have to update my
resume.  Yet, when applying to jobs, it's really a good idea to
customize the resume to highlight experience & skills according to the
job you're applying for.

I tried using markdown & Latex for my resumes, but I couldn't get a
really good looking resume because I suck at Latex and couldn't find
any good looking Latex resumes on the 'Net that I liked.

Now that org has odt-export and of course HTML, etc. I'm re-thinking using .org
for resume writing.

Anyone else?

Thanks,
--Nate

* Re: Use org for jobs/resume writing?
@ 2011-07-19  4:26 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-19  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nathan

> I was looking at the export-to-odt functionality and thought about
> re-doing my resume (the content) in .org, then exporting it to .odt for
> some cleanup / formatting.

I think the first step (or one of the first steps) is to create (or
identify) a template that you are happy about.

If you post a sample resume, I will be more than happy to use it as a
use-case and robustify applying of styles with org-odt exporter.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: Use org for jobs/resume writing?
@ 2011-07-19  9:47 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-19  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nathan,

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> Now that org has odt-export and of course HTML, etc. I'm re-thinking
> using .org for resume writing.
>
> Anyone else?

I'm not using Org for resumes, but yes, I would love to see some good
CSS for the HTML export and some good style.xml for the ODT export...

Crossing fingers,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Use org for jobs/resume writing?
@ 2011-07-19 10:34 ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2011-07-19 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nathan,

On 7/19/11, Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
> Now that org has odt-export and of course HTML, etc. I'm re-thinking using
> .org
> for resume writing.
>
> Anyone else?

I have recently started using Org-mode for my Resume [1].  I have
created a custom LaTeX stylesheet, that I use, for the LaTeX export.

HTH,
Puneeth

[1] -  https://github.com/punchagan/resume

* Re: Use org for jobs/resume writing?
@ 2011-07-19 12:30   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-07-19 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth Chaganti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> On 7/19/11, Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> wrote:
> [..]
>> Now that org has odt-export and of course HTML, etc. I'm re-thinking using
>> .org
>> for resume writing.
>>
>> Anyone else?
>
> I have recently started using Org-mode for my Resume [1].  I have
> created a custom LaTeX stylesheet, that I use, for the LaTeX export.

I have also used org for résumé. But since I am strictly an academic,
I didn't bother to write any custom styles. I did a sub-tree export to
LaTeX using these settings:

** Curriculum Vitae
    :PROPERTIES:
    :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: suvayu_cv.pdf
    :EXPORT_TITLE: Curriculum Vitae
    :EXPORT_AUTHOR: Suvayu Ali
    :CATEGORY: cv
    :END:

--
Suvayu

* Re: Use org for jobs/resume writing?
@ 2011-07-19 15:18   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2011-07-19 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I used Org for mine.

http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/AISTWiki/pub/AIS/Resume/AdamsRussellPublicBio.pdf

I even have it split into parts with dynamic includes. Org/Latex
worked great.

Thanks.

@ 2011-07-19 22:45     ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2011-07-19 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> >> Now that org has odt-export and of course HTML, etc. I'm re-thinking using
> >> .org
> >> for resume writing.
> >>
> >> Anyone else?
> >
> > I have recently started using Org-mode for my Resume.  I have
> > created a custom LaTeX stylesheet, that I use, for the LaTeX export.

Apart from each person creating their own resume… a pre-filled template in .org could be made to produce a resume in the Europass [1] format, or similar widely accepted formats.

[1]: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/

* Re: Use org for jobs/resume writing?
@ 2011-07-19 22:54       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2011-07-19 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com> writes:
> Apart from each person creating their own resume… a pre-filled
> template in .org could be made to produce a resume in the Europass [1]
> format, or similar widely accepted formats.

There is a LaTeX class mimicking Europass. I used to use it. I find
Europass ugly and disturbing/hard to read, though.

Anyhow, creating a cv_barebone.org should not be too hard.

–Rasmus

--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Use org for jobs/resume writing?
@ 2011-07-19 22:55       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-07-19 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I have recently started using Org-mode for my Resume.  I have
>> > created a custom LaTeX stylesheet, that I use, for the LaTeX export.

I just had to update my CV and used modified versions of these with
great results (I think):
- http://www.cv-templates.info/2009/03/professional-cv-latex/
- http://stefano.italians.nl/archives/50

Once set up, it was very easy and is just some custom section headers
and tables.

John