* Re: Professional PDF LaTeX templates?
@ 2011-03-16 11:04 'Mash
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: 'Mash @ 2011-03-16 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>:

> Not intending to start a flame war but my experience is that latex, even
> with everything at default settings, beats a typical MS Word document
> hands down!  At least in academic circles, many publishers use latex for
> the final typesetting stage even if the original article was submitted
> in MS Word.
>
> The negative aspect, for some, about latex is that everything is
> customisable (as you have alluded to) given that it is but a set of
> macros built on top of the TeX typesetting system (thank you Donald
> Knuth!).  Because the underlying system is both robust and
> comprehensive, anything is possible!  The power of TeX comes partly from
> the basis being both page and paragraph formatting, as opposed to line
> by line formatting which tools like MS Word use.
>
> Therefore, I am curious as to what you wish to achieve:
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>> Instead... could you provide something you think is professional to
>> set the bar and those on the list can either match it or point you in
>> the direction of something they've seen or already created to fit into
>> your genre of "professional"?
>
> This would indeed be very useful.

Sorry yes my question was fairly vague. Also I actually had trouble
trying to find an example of what I mean. But let me clarify.

I suppose by "professional" I really meant "polished", and so it is
LaTeX styling I have having trouble with, it may also be laziness on
my part. I have tried searching for LaTeX styling which I can
translate into a few org-mode header declarations but still can't work
out what is or is not compatible with org-mode (LaTeX classes) or how
to implement styling correctly.

I think what it is that I have been using CSS for so long that I am
getting frustrated in not being able to produce the level of results I
want in LaTeX. Also I feel like a complete numpty not being able to
clearly understand how to build and define external LaTeX classes I
can call to output my simple .org file to a "polished" .pdf. I.e.
margins, line-heights, different block element font styling, common
graphical page headers or footers.

There are a huge amount of LaTeX examples on the web, but they are
full documents with inline elements, I wanted to know if anyone has
already setup classes that work, with notes on LaTeX dependencies (and
how and where to download them from) which they use day to day to
produce reports, articles, contracts or client proposals from simple
.org files?

Is that any clearer?

* Professional PDF LaTeX templates?
@ 2011-03-14 16:27 Thomas Herbert
From: Thomas Herbert @ 2011-03-14 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Afternoon,

I wonder if anyone had any good examples of org-mode LaTeX templates
with which to export professional looking PDFs?

It is my big issue with org-mode at the moment, and I have tried
reading what I can on LaTeX styling but it is getting to the point
that I am spending way to much time trying to learn enough LaTeX only
to find I can't translate it into anything that looks the quality of
using MS Word and Adobe Flashpaper.

Just wondering if anyone has some template examples of letter/logo
headed well styled PDFs they use on a professional basis?

Many thanks

'Mash