* [BUG] Latex export problem with babel latex blocks when including files
@ 2011-03-16 12:30 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-03-16 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Orgers,

I have been writing a large document in Org mode for pdf export with
latex. I use babel latex blocks for things like equations, and I have a
separate file as my appendix which I include in my primary org file.

Today when I introduced a babel latex block in the appendix, I noticed
that while exporting to latex/pdf, org wants to add the headline with
the latex babel block from the appendix at the end of the master org
file. I would expect no such behaviour while export.

I can replicate this bug with the two attached minimal org files. Can
someone confirm this?

Suvayu

[-- Attachment #2: appendix.org --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 292 bytes --]

\appendix
# Needs \usepackage{appendix}
\appendixpage
\addappheadtotoc

* This is appendix A

  Definition of psedorapidity.

  #+begin_src latex
    \begin{equation}
    \label{eq:eta}
    \eta = -\ln\Bigg[\tan\Bigg(\frac{\theta}{2}\Bigg)\Bigg]
    \end{equation}
  #+end_src

[-- Attachment #3: test.org --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1167 bytes --]

#+TITLE:     Document title
#+AUTHOR:    Suvayu Ali
#+DATE:      \today
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport

#+BIND: org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil
# #+BIND: org-export-latex-title-command ""

#+LaTeX_CLASS: book
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [12pt,letterpaper,oneside,colorlinks]
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{amsmath}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{mathtools}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{appendix}
# #+LaTeX_HEADER: \maketitle

* Title of part 1

** Title of chapter 1
   Some text.

* Title of part 2

** Title of chapter 3
   The Standard Model gauge group is shown in \autoref{eq:symgrp}
   #+begin_src latex
     \begin{equation}
     \label{eq:symgrp}
     SU(3) \times SU(2) \times U(1)
     \end{equation}
   #+end_src

#+INCLUDE: appendix.org :minlevel 1

\backmatter
\newpage
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\bibname}

\bibliographystyle{plain}
\bibliography{master}

# Local Variables:
# org-export-allow-BIND: t
# End:

* Re: [BUG] Latex export problem with babel latex blocks when including files
@ 2011-03-16 13:22 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-03-16 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

First, you may well already be aware of this, but a block like the
following

#+begin_src latex
  \begin{equation}
    \label{eq:eta}
    \eta = -\ln\Bigg[\tan\Bigg(\frac{\theta}{2}\Bigg)\Bigg]
  \end{equation}
#+end_src

could just as easily be written as

\begin{equation}
  \label{eq:eta}
  \eta = -\ln\Bigg[\tan\Bigg(\frac{\theta}{2}\Bigg)\Bigg]
\end{equation}

Org-mode will recognize the inline latex, and will export it to both
html and tex as desired.

Second, I've run into similar headline issues when trying to place a
bibliography under it's own headline at the end of an Org-mode file.  I
believe that the answer here is to simply remove the headline from your
appendix file.  I don't believe that there exists any syntax by which to
tell Org-mode to not export a headline.

Best -- Eric

@ 2011-03-16 14:18 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-16 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Orgers,
>
> I have been writing a large document in Org mode for pdf export with
> latex. I use babel latex blocks for things like equations, and I have a
> separate file as my appendix which I include in my primary org file.
>
> Today when I introduced a babel latex block in the appendix, I noticed
> that while exporting to latex/pdf, org wants to add the headline with
> the latex babel block from the appendix at the end of the master org
> file. I would expect no such behaviour while export.
>
> I can replicate this bug with the two attached minimal org files. Can
> someone confirm this?
>
> Thanks,

I cannot confirm this.  I get:

\chapter{Title of chapter 3}
\label{sec-3_1}

   The Standard Model gauge group is shown in \autoref{eq:symgrp}

   \begin{equation}
        \label{eq:symgrp}
        SU(3) \times SU(2) \times U(1)
        \end{equation}

\appendix
\appendixpage
\addappheadtotoc
\section{This is appendix A}
\label{sec-3_1_1}

    Definition of psedorapidity.

    \begin{equation}
          \label{eq:eta}
          \eta = -\ln\Bigg[\tan\Bigg(\frac{\theta}{2}\Bigg)\Bigg]
          \end{equation}

which is what I would expect.  What do you get that is different?  Or
did I misunderstand your question/problem?

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.55.g87c42.dirty)

* Re: [BUG] Latex export problem with babel latex blocks when including files
@ 2011-03-16 18:32   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-03-16 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 07:22:19 -0600
"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First, you may well already be aware of this, but a block like the
> following
>
> #+begin_src latex
>   \begin{equation}
>     \label{eq:eta}
>     \eta = -\ln\Bigg[\tan\Bigg(\frac{\theta}{2}\Bigg)\Bigg]
>   \end{equation}
> #+end_src
>
> could just as easily be written as
>
> \begin{equation}
>   \label{eq:eta}
>   \eta = -\ln\Bigg[\tan\Bigg(\frac{\theta}{2}\Bigg)\Bigg]
> \end{equation}
>
> Org-mode will recognize the inline latex, and will export it to both
> html and tex as desired.

Yes I realise that. Its just nicer with all the fontification in an org
buffer. I can also use org-edit-special and take advantage of the auctex
macros when writing the equations.

> Second, I've run into similar headline issues when trying to place a
> bibliography under it's own headline at the end of an Org-mode file.
> I believe that the answer here is to simply remove the headline from
> your appendix file.  I don't believe that there exists any syntax by
> which to tell Org-mode to not export a headline.

I am not following here. I don't want to suppress export of any of the
headlines. I have several appendices under their own headlines in the
included file. The only issue is org tries to insert the appendix
headlines at the end of the master latex file while exporting.

Removing the source block from the appendix definitely solves
everything, so its barely an issue. But it would nice to be able to use
babel blocks for the fontification and the org-edit-special
capability. :)

> Best -- Eric

Thanks a lot.

--
Suvayu

* Re: [BUG] Latex export problem with babel latex blocks when including files
@ 2011-03-16 18:42   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-03-16 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

Sorry I was a bit sleepy when I made my original post earlier, I wasn't
clear enough with my description of the problem. :-p

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:18:47 +0000
Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> which is what I would expect.  What do you get that is different?  Or
> did I misunderstand your question/problem?

The exported latex code is as expected. But the presence of the babel
block in the included file (appendix) makes org prompt like this:

No match - create this as a new heading? (y or n)

Responding no, repeats this 2 more times and responding yes puts an
extra headline (the headline with the babel source block in the appendix
file) in the master org file.

Its a very minor issue, as Eric Schulte said, I can just use bare latex
without the babel blocks. I hope I have clearly explained myself this
time. :)

Suvayu