* export to latex broken
@ 2010-08-20 14:36 Puneeth
From: Puneeth @ 2010-08-20 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Exporting from org to LaTeX is broken on the master.

Git bisect gives the bad commit as 034dbac3eecd
"Search for LaTeX setup case-insensitively"

-- Puneeth

ps : Thanks to ngz for a patient IRC tutorial on git bisect.

* Re: export to latex broken
@ 2010-08-20 16:24 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-20 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:06:34 +0530, Puneeth <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Exporting from org to LaTeX is broken on the master.
>
> Git bisect gives the bad commit as 034dbac3eecd
> "Search for LaTeX setup case-insensitively"

I can confirm it's broken.  I've not had time to really track down
where it is happening but I can say that all my latex files are
incorrect in the generation of the \documentclass{} line, specifically
an extra character is being inserted between "class" and "{", even
though I have specified my own org-export-latex-classes.  Very
strange.  I'll try to track this down on the way home on the train
tonight...

: Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.180.g190e)

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: export to latex broken
@ 2010-08-20 16:25 ` Carsten Dominik
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-20 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 20, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Puneeth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Exporting from org to LaTeX is broken on the master.
>
> Git bisect gives the bad commit as 034dbac3eecd
> "Search for LaTeX setup case-insensitively"

OK, I have reverted it.

Can you please describe what happened?

Thanks

- Carsten

* Re: export to latex broken
@ 2010-08-20 17:15   ` Puneeth
From: Puneeth @ 2010-08-20 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Puneeth wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Exporting from org to LaTeX is broken on the master.
>>
>> Git bisect gives the bad commit as 034dbac3eecd
>> "Search for LaTeX setup case-insensitively"
>
> OK, I have reverted it.
>
> Can you please describe what happened?

Sorry for the incomplete report. I'd been using C-c C-e ?d and getting
a direct pdf output which was garbled.

Getting a LaTeX output and compiling gives me a clearer picture.

The documentclass is getting appended with a "random" character.
pdflatex gave me this error

! Undefined control sequence.
l.2 \documentclassT
                   {article}

Removing that "T" from the end of documentclass solves the problem.

(and I think the T is coming from the org file itself. I get a
different character in different documents.)

HTH,
Puneeth

* Re: export to latex broken
@ 2010-08-20 17:15   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-08-20 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Puneeth wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Exporting from org to LaTeX is broken on the master.
> >
> > Git bisect gives the bad commit as 034dbac3eecd
> > "Search for LaTeX setup case-insensitively"
>
> OK, I have reverted it.
>
> Can you please describe what happened?

line 1144 ff in org-latex.el:

		(and (let ((case-fold-search t))
		       (re-search-forward
			"^#\\+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS:[ \t]*\\(.*?\\)[ \t]*$" nil t)
		       (match-string 1)))))

The and used to check for the match and if the match succeeded it would return
the match string. Now it returns the match string whether the search succeeds or not.
It probably should be:

                 (let ((case-fold-search t))
                   (and (re-search-forward
			"^#\\+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS:[ \t]*\\(.*?\\)[ \t]*$" nil t)
		       (match-string 1)))...

Nick

* Re: export to latex broken
@ 2010-08-20 17:26   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-20 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:25:16 +0200, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Puneeth wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Exporting from org to LaTeX is broken on the master.
> >
> > Git bisect gives the bad commit as 034dbac3eecd
> > "Search for LaTeX setup case-insensitively"
>
> OK, I have reverted it.
>
> Can you please describe what happened?
>
> Thanks
>
> - Carsten

Carsten,

at least in my case, what happens is that the \documentclass line gets
munged somewhere along the way. I have the following for
org-export-latex-classes:

: (("article"
: "\\documentclass[11pt]{scrartcl}\n\\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n..."))

(truncated).  When I export to latex, I get:

: % Created 2010-08-20 Fri 18:21
: \documentclassI{scrartcl}
: \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
: \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

(truncated again)  Note the "I" after "class" which somehow has
replaced the "[11pt]" argument I had to this command.  In other latex
files, I have seen "r" instead of "I".

Hope this helps.

eric

PS - I sympathise with your response to another email on the list
     about crossing emails: I do much of my email processing on the train
     while off-line...  so I hope this doesn't cross the message from you
     that says that this problem has already been fixed ;-)

@ 2011-03-01 10:50 suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-03-01 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think this commit broke latex export.

$ git log -1 1f78ceb
commit 1f78cebdf46b2d9c435312c3fbcad05986e21cc3
Author: Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
Date:   Mon Feb 28 11:04:46 2011 +0100

    org-latex: fix export with various values for `org-list-ending-method'

    * lisp/org-latex.el (org-export-latex-lists): make sure markers used
      for export are taken into account by temporarily setting an
      appropriate value for `org-list-ending-method'.

Emacs (24) hangs with a message saying "Applying style hooks" in the
minibuffer and the cpu usage shoots up and I have to kill emacs. Can
someone else confirm this?

--
Suvayu

* Re: export to latex broken
@ 2011-03-01 11:24 ` Nicolas
From: Nicolas @ 2011-03-01 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Emacs (24) hangs with a message saying "Applying style hooks" in the
> minibuffer and the cpu usage shoots up and I have to kill emacs. Can
> someone else confirm this?

I've pushed a fix in master. Is it fixed now?

Nicolas

* Re: export to latex broken
@ 2011-03-01 11:35   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-03-01 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Nicolas,

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 12:24:22 +0100
Nicolas <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Emacs (24) hangs with a message saying "Applying style hooks" in the
> > minibuffer and the cpu usage shoots up and I have to kill emacs. Can
> > someone else confirm this?
>
> I've pushed a fix in master. Is it fixed now?

Yes its fixed now! Thanks a lot. :)

However after I sent my previous email I noticed a separate bug was
introduced in a commit somewhere between the previous commit I mentioned
and

commit d3432917ed8f95af0ce76127e632052fc7430439
Merge: 82ac473 6489346
Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Feb 22 21:44:46 2011 +0100

    Merge branch 'master' of orgmode.org:org-mode

All babel source blocks are quoted inside a verbatim environment when
exported to latex. I haven't narrowed down the commit yet though.

--
Suvayu

* Re: export to latex broken
@ 2011-03-01 11:42     ` Nicolas
From: Nicolas @ 2011-03-01 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> However after I sent my previous email I noticed a separate bug was
> introduced in a commit somewhere between the previous commit I mentioned
> and

> [...]

> All babel source blocks are quoted inside a verbatim environment when
> exported to latex. I haven't narrowed down the commit yet though.

IMO, you shouldn't bother trying to find the commit that introduced the
error (the one you cited earlier was actually wrong). It's better to
provide a test file, and some pertinent configuration variables.

Nicolas

* Re: export to latex broken
@ 2011-03-01 11:49     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-03-01 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 03:35:59 -0800
Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> However after I sent my previous email I noticed a separate bug was
> introduced in a commit somewhere between the previous commit I
> mentioned and
>
> commit d3432917ed8f95af0ce76127e632052fc7430439
> Merge: 82ac473 6489346
> Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
> Date:   Tue Feb 22 21:44:46 2011 +0100
>
>     Merge branch 'master' of orgmode.org:org-mode
>
> All babel source blocks are quoted inside a verbatim environment when
> exported to latex. I haven't narrowed down the commit yet though.

I think I found the commit. This is the first time I used bisect, so
might be wrong. This is the output after git bisecting.

563994842d44f049c98ef0dcf7be94006ce1d9ee is the first bad commit
commit 563994842d44f049c98ef0dcf7be94006ce1d9ee
Author: Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
Date:   Sun Feb 27 11:01:56 2011 -0700

    ob-exp: better caching on export

      - calling org-babel-process-params on the parameters before the
    hash is calculated
      - calculating the hash before the noweb references are expanded

    * lisp/ob-exp.el (org-babel-exp-src-block): When block will
    eventually be evaluated, pre-calculate the hash before noweb
    expansion, and expand the parameters before hash calculation.
      (org-babel-exp-do-export): Pass pre-calculated hash through to
      `org-babel-exp-results'.
      (org-babel-exp-results): Compare pre-calculated hash to results
    hash.

:040000 040000 aec4ecc417ed47e5c6366aac8f58c5309883b6ba
5a12d34f528ae400514d109f7783cf40ec7ee0a4 M	lisp

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

* Re: export to latex broken