* org-mode without stars
@ 2011-01-23  3:21 Bayle Shanks
From: Bayle Shanks @ 2011-01-23  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

is there a way to use org-mode with spaces instead of stars (and
possibly to have to use some other delimiter at some points, if the
lack of stars causes ambiguity)? i.e.

----
get new laptop

organize interstellar dust meeting
 book the meeting room
 organize LOC
 Invited speakers
  - Draine
  - Tielens
  - Hollenbach
 1st announcement

fix the bell in the hall
----

? thanks,
  bayle

* Re: org-mode without stars
@ 2011-01-26 15:38 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2011-01-26 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bayle Shanks; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bayle Shanks <bshanks3@gmail.com> writes:

> is there a way to use org-mode with spaces instead of stars
I don't think so.

> (and
> possibly to have to use some other delimiter at some points, if the
> lack of stars causes ambiguity)? i.e.

The use of stars as headline is defined in
org-set-autofill-regexps in org.el.

Please have a look at the clean view:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html#Clean-view

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: org-mode without stars
@ 2011-01-26 16:57 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-01-26 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bayle Shanks; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bayle,

On 2011-01-22, Bayle Shanks <bshanks3@gmail.com> wrote:
> get new laptop
>
> organize interstellar dust meeting
>  book the meeting room
>  organize LOC
>  Invited speakers
>   - Draine
>   - Tielens
>   - Hollenbach
>  1st announcement
>
> fix the bell in the hall

I indent by spaces by 2 a lot to save typing.  c-c - and c-c * will
convert.  They do not handle indentation, but that might be a very
useful feature (I would use it too).

This does handle indentation.  I wrote it a very long time ago for a
different, 8-space indentation.

(defun alpha-orgify ()
  "quick hack.  create org format from my indented outline
format, which consists of 8-space indentation.  operate on the
region.  assume a certain number of stars and odd levels."
  (interactive)
  (let ((b (region-beginning))
        (e (region-end))
        ;;manually mod for now.  headline vs. bullet.
        (bulletp nil))
    (loop
       while
         (progn
           (save-excursion
             ;;use (re-)search-forward and replace-match when no query?  i'd
             ;;prefer without the pattern (i.e. just ^) but you might be
             ;;re-orgifying an already-orgified region.  btw match-string is
             ;;how you get the string.
             (perform-replace "^\\([^*]\\)"
                              (if bulletp
                                  "  \\1"
                                "*** \\1")
                              t         ;interactive
                              t nil nil nil
                              e))
           (save-excursion
             (perform-replace "        "
                              (if bulletp
                                  "  "
                                "**")
                              t         ;interactive
                              t nil nil nil
                              e))
           (when bulletp
             (progn
               ;;how to make it greedy?
               (perform-replace "^\\( +\\)\\([^ ]\\)" "\\1- \\2"
                                t         ;interactive
                                t nil nil nil)))))))

Samuel

--
The Kafka Pandemic:
http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2010/12/welcome-to-kafka-pandemic-two-forces_9182.html

* Re: org-mode without stars
@ 2011-01-26 19:27   ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2011-01-26 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Bayle Shanks, emacs-orgmode

The original "outline-mode" in EMACS which predates "org-mode" used stars.

Using stars "*" is the best way to do it; the reasons are many--OrgMode
files are flat text files and this is great too--but keep this in mind
here--think about searches, etc.

PYTHON uses indentation (and thats great); LISP silly/wonderful parens,
etc.--for EMACS use stars!  They look great!  They are the best thing to use
here:

Stars "*" are also used as the symbol for "regular-expressions"--based on
neurology/neurons/dendrites/trees/outline-trees/etc. and the "Kleene
Closure" (i.e. the mathematician Kleene)--the study of neurology and
regular-expressions and the stars "*" are intertwined--the history dates at
least back to the 1930s--and LISP/lambda calculus/Alonso Church/Kleene--the
1950s.

A star "*" @is@ a "Kleene Closure"--math.

A star "*" is easily recognized as a symbol for a note: From
http://Wiktionary.com: "  "*"== "Used at the beginning of a footnote ,
especially if it is the only one on the page, and after a word, phrase, or
sentence that this ..."

"So, why should I care"!? (you might have been thinking)

Well, howsabout this: Say you are searching for a string and/or regular
expression in a flat text file--you wouldn't search for "*"--you would
usually be search for a string (maybe an indentation level of stars "*")
using EMACS--which is by the way the fastest way to find such things --if
you are typing in real-time--emacs will highlight a search as you type
it--this function is very fast--Suggest you try these 2 examples: Cs
blah-search-string "***"--and maybe Mx search-for-regexp "***"---they have
different uses/meanings--when searching in EMACS) since emacs is the fastest
regular expression engine (for 1st-character(s)-recoginition (the engine is
optimized for this) so for this case/this type of search there is @nothing
faster@ (BTW check out QEMACS if you're working with a huge/gigabyte size
files--its fun to edit huge files with QEMACS--written by the same guy that
calculated PI with a desktop computer--to the longest # he also wrote QEMU
(Fabrice Bellard: http://bellard.org) for this type of regular-expression
search (many other engines are faster and use different algorithms--for the
purposes they were built for--and so they should be used then--each regexp
engine seems to have a niche.)

Use EMACS OrgMode and use stars "*", they really are the best for this case;
my brain is overheating thinking of the many good reasons.  But, "How do
they look when you print them out!?", etc.; well, I suggest you tailor that
with PERL, thats what I use--I quickly change doc formats to TeX--TeX is the
only thing that @really@ looks pretty!

Please "leave well enough alone"! That said, I hope you do whatever you want
and don't listen to me or anyone else on such matters--EMACS is infinitely
extensible, have fun!

;-)

* Re: org-mode without stars
@ 2011-02-12  1:27     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-02-12  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brian powell; +Cc: Bayle Shanks, emacs-orgmode

With a large amount of programming talent and power, we might be able
to refactor.
This might allow us to, for example, put headlines in source files
inside comments.

There might be reasons why that's bad, but it's a possibility.