* Bug: org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift shifts CREATED property
@ 2011-10-04 15:32 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-10-04 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

When an entry got processed by org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift,
its :CREATED: property gets shifted too:

#+begin_example
* <2011-10-04 Tue> test
SCHEDULED: <2011-10-05 Wed>
:PROPERTIES:
:CREATED: <2011-10-04 Tue 17:27>
:END:
* <2011-10-11 Tue> test
SCHEDULED: <2011-10-12 Wed>
:PROPERTIES:
:CREATED: <2011-10-11 Tue 17:27>
:END:
#+end_example

Although this *might* be on purpose, I strongly argue to stop this behaviour
because of:

* the entry is not really created in the future. It is created
  either at the original :CREATED: timestamp _or_ it is created at the
  timestamp when org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift is executed.

* the user gets heavily irritated when the generated entries keep
  popping up on future days.

I suggest that at least for :CREATED: properties, the time stamp
does not get changed by org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift.

--
Karl Voit

* Re: Bug: org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift shifts CREATED property
@ 2011-10-05 16:31 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-10-05 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Hi!
>
> When an entry got processed by org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift,
> its :CREATED: property gets shifted too:
>
> #+begin_example
> * <2011-10-04 Tue> test
> SCHEDULED: <2011-10-05 Wed>
> :PROPERTIES:
> :CREATED: <2011-10-04 Tue 17:27>
> :END:
> * <2011-10-11 Tue> test
> SCHEDULED: <2011-10-12 Wed>
> :PROPERTIES:
> :CREATED: <2011-10-11 Tue 17:27>
> :END:
> #+end_example
>
> Although this *might* be on purpose, I strongly argue to stop this behaviour
> because of:
>
> * the entry is not really created in the future. It is created
>   either at the original :CREATED: timestamp _or_ it is created at the
>   timestamp when org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift is executed.
>
> * the user gets heavily irritated when the generated entries keep
>   popping up on future days.
>
> I suggest that at least for :CREATED: properties, the time stamp
> does not get changed by org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift.

Where does this :CREATED: property come from?  The only code I can find
is in contrib/lisp/org-expiry.el and since that isn't officially part of
org-mode yet I don't know if it makes sense to have code in the cloning
function to handle it.

Maybe (if there isn't already) the clone function could use some list of
properties for special handling (ie drop this property, don't shift the
date on that property, etc)

If it can be generically handled then whatever code you include that
adds functionality for the :CREATED: property can also update that list
so it is handled in a sensible way.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Bug: org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift shifts CREATED property of org-expiry.el
@ 2011-10-06  9:24   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-10-06  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> When an entry got processed by org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift,
>> its :CREATED: property gets shifted too:
>>
>> #+begin_example
>> * <2011-10-04 Tue> test
>> SCHEDULED: <2011-10-05 Wed>
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :CREATED: <2011-10-04 Tue 17:27>
>> :END:
>> * <2011-10-11 Tue> test
>> SCHEDULED: <2011-10-12 Wed>
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :CREATED: <2011-10-11 Tue 17:27>
>> :END:
>> #+end_example
>
> Where does this :CREATED: property come from?  The only code I can find
> is in contrib/lisp/org-expiry.el

Yes, I am indeed using this package. To be honest, I have forgotten
that it is org-expiry.el which generates those :CREATED: properties.
But I do find it important to know, *when* an item was created.
Independently from any expiry functionality.

This is not only because I am doing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifelogging with
https://github.com/novoid/Memacs by the way.

> and since that isn't officially part of org-mode yet I don't know
> if it makes sense to have code in the cloning function to handle
> it.

the very same git repository. Thanks for clarification.

> Maybe (if there isn't already) the clone function could use some list of
> properties for special handling (ie drop this property, don't shift the
> date on that property, etc)
>
> If it can be generically handled then whatever code you include that
> adds functionality for the :CREATED: property can also update that list
> so it is handled in a sensible way.

I can think of different situations where such a mechanism would be
handy, yes. Is Bastien Guerry (creator of org-expiry.el) reading
here?

So for now I am afraid I have to either deactivate org-expiry.el or
remove any :CREATED: property before applying cloning.

--
Karl Voit