* Org-contacts and where to store address
@ 2011-08-06 16:40 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-08-06 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I am writing an Python-script that converts my old jPilot contact
information to Org-mode. I chose Org-contacts[1] because it seems to
me that this will be a widely used format.

In my old format, the address field is a multi-line field similar
to:

    ,----[ example ]
    | Street Name 42
    | 0815 City
    | Country
    `----

I am using property values for EMAIL, HOMEPHONE, WORKPHONE, PHONE,
MOBILE, FAX, TITLE, and COMPANY.

Is there a good way of adding the (multi line) address to the
PROPERTY drawer or should I put the address in the notes right below
the drawers?

PS: Empty properties are not mentioned in the Org-mode manual. Do
they cause any trouble? (I was thinking of leaving empty properties
for each entry so that I can easily add e.g. a FAX number later on
...)

  1. http://julien.danjou.info/org-contacts.html
--
Karl Voit

* Re: Org-contacts and where to store address
@ 2011-08-17 10:32 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-17 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> I am writing an Python-script that converts my old jPilot contact
> information to Org-mode. I chose Org-contacts[1] because it seems to
> me that this will be a widely used format.
>
> In my old format, the address field is a multi-line field similar
> to:
>
>     ,----[ example ]
>     | Street Name 42
>     | 0815 City
>     | Country
>     `----
>
> I am using property values for EMAIL, HOMEPHONE, WORKPHONE, PHONE,
> MOBILE, FAX, TITLE, and COMPANY.
>
> Is there a good way of adding the (multi line) address to the
> PROPERTY drawer or should I put the address in the notes right below
> the drawers?

I'd suggest reformatting the multi-lines address into a single-line
string.

> PS: Empty properties are not mentioned in the Org-mode manual. Do
> they cause any trouble?

Not that I'm aware of.

Thanks for letting us know about your progress!

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org-contacts and where to store address
@ 2011-08-17 16:26   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-08-17 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Hi Karl,

Hi!

> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> Is there a good way of adding the (multi line) address to the
>> PROPERTY drawer or should I put the address in the notes right below
>> the drawers?
>
> I'd suggest reformatting the multi-lines address into a single-line
> string.

Done that. The original data was in fact not multi-line and so I
modified the source code to get one line per information.

> Thanks for letting us know about your progress!

Well, it is pretty simple:

contacts.org with two main headings: one for people and one for
companies with one person in yasnippet-syntax:

,----[ yasnippet template for one contact  ]

`----

--
Karl Voit