From: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org-mode is not able to manage complex calendar events
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 19:24:51 +0200	[thread overview]

* Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
> Better yet, however, is to update the documentation yourself and submit
> a patch!

Pulled the current Org-mode files, read the contribution
instructions[1], found the spot where the information should go and
... boom:

,----[ http://orgmode.org/org.html#Repeated-tasks ]
| An alternative to using a repeater is to create a number of copies
| of a task subtree, with dates shifted in each copy. The command C-c
| C-x c was created for this purpose, it is described in Structure
| editing.
`----

Shame on me - I must have overlooked this important thing :-(

>> I'd be glad to see something like this:
>>
>>        * Event <2011-06-21 Tue +1w> <-2011-06-28 Tue>
>>
>> ... which lets me express an exception (each tuesday starting with
>> today but not next week) in an easy to use way.
>
> Not possible without use of sexp entries, as far as I know.

I know. I was dreaming of a future functionality which is easy to
use (and easy to implement?) for the masses that are not yet
enlightened with the knowledge of ELISP :-)

> The trick to using org is to realise that everything in life is
> really oriented around tasks;

I will remember this statement and think of it the next days ...

> calendaring then comes automatically from this!  The problem is
> that most people have gotten used to separating tasks from
> calendar views (cf. separation between tasks lists and
> appointments) and so moving to org can be a bit of a culture
> shock.  If you start thinking from the tasks first, the rest
> follows.

Hehe. Funny you mention that. Because I am using DateBk6[2] for
PalmOS which integrates tasks into the calendar (very well!). So
this is kina reverse thinking for me now.

(Maybe you can think of «adding a different point of view to
Org-mode» if you want.)

> For instance, I'm working on a project; call it A.  I create a
> headline for this project (or a file, or a sub-headline,
> whatever).  Under this headline, I will create entries for
> finances, meetings, notes, actions, etc.  Everything in one place.

I am currently adopting and developing my workflows for this, yes.

> Org then provides a number of "views" to look at different aspects
> of this project: agenda view (akin to a calendar), column view,
> sparse tree view, tags view, ...  All of these allow you to see,
> easily, the particular aspects of a project, or collection of
> projects, that are important at any point.

I consider this the most important «feature» of Org-mode.

I am dedicating my PhD (not only but mainly) to the notion that
information visualization should not be depending on the structure
the information is *stored* but only depending on the way I need to
have while *accessing* it.

<advertisement>[3] if you're interested.  It's a research software
that cleverly organizes your local files using tags and not within those
usual (and not working) hierarchies of folders. It intgrates with *any*
application you are currently using on Windows, OS X, and Linux as
well. Current users are very happy with the method provided by
tagstore.</advertisement>

>>     * Event <2011-06-21 Tue>
>>     * Event <2011-06-28 Tue>
>>     * Event <2011-07-05 Tue>
>>     * Event <2011-07-12 Tue +1w>
>>
>> But I aim in a slightly different direction:
>>
>>     * Event
>>         <2011-06-21 Tue>
>>         <2011-06-28 Tue>: additional note
>>         <2011-07-05 Tue>
>>         <2011-07-12 Tue +1w>
>
> I would argue that this is a more limiting view as it is difficult to
> add notes to each individual event, something I would often (always?)
> want to do!  If each event (meeting?) is a sub-headline of its own,
> adding notes, actions that arise, etc is very easy.
>
> Again, you can use org to "view" the information you have in different
> ways so I would suggest you explore these views.  For the above, maybe a
> Log view in the agenda might give you what you want.

True. I'll give it a try.

PS: Thanks for the help so far and I appreciate the community and
discussion here very much.

  1. http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html
  2. http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk6.htm
  3. http://tagstore.org