* RFC: Consistent Latex (& html) publishing environment
@ 2010-11-18 22:50 Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-11-18 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've had difficulties creating a consistent publishing environment,
specifically for latex. I was curious how others did their workflow,
or any recommendations the group may have.

My latex documents are only of minor complexity, including images and
the occasional multiple column area, a header and footer. I'm not a
Latex expert, but I know enough to tweak my documents to match my expectations.

I have tried using the customizable article types
(org-export-latex-classes) to provide consistent pre-document latex
header segments. Unfortunately I found I need to customize those
frequently.

Recently I have started using an article type of "none", which is an
empty definition. Then I have manually specified each line in a
#+LATEX_HEADER line at the beginning of the file. This works great for
a single document, but then multiple documents begin to diverge. Then
I have to go find the latest document I've created to use as a
template, a non-optimal situation.

One technique I have used successfully is to use a Makefile to cause
my org documents to be compiled to latex, calling out to emacs and
then pdflatex (twice for proper TOC) from there.

.PHONY: all clean

#OBJS := $(patsubst %.org, %.pdf, $(wildcard *.org))
OBJS := Target.pdf

CRAP := $(patsubst %.org, %.pdf, $(wildcard *.org))
CRAP += $(patsubst %.org, %.aux, $(wildcard *.org))
CRAP += $(patsubst %.org, %.log, $(wildcard *.org))
CRAP += $(patsubst %.org, %.out, $(wildcard *.org))
CRAP += $(patsubst %.org, %.toc, $(wildcard *.org))

all: clean $(OBJS)

clean:
	rm -f $(CRAP) $(OBJS)

%.tex: %.org
	/usr/bin/emacs -nw \
		--eval '(setq enable-local-variables :all)' \
		$< \
		-f org-export-as-latex \
		-f save-buffers-kill-emacs

%.pdf: %.tex
	pdflatex $<
	pdflatex $<

This is great, but pops up an emacs session. If I run emacs in --batch
mode, it won't load my init file and so loses some of my export
customizations...

So, what are other folks using? Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks.