* Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-23 15:12 Richard Moreland
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-09-23 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All,

I think it would be helpful to create a series of screencasts to
demonstrate Org-mode.  The screencasts I've made for MobileOrg[1,2]
seem to have helped users get started quickly.  There are so many
powerful features of Org-mode that are difficult to visualize yourself
using until you can see them in action.  It may also help draw in new
users who otherwise wouldn't quite get it.

Some topics that may be interesting:

- Org-mode in action, demonstrating common tasks like capture,
restructuring a tree, refiling, etc.
- Babel
- Integration with other tools (Gnus, WL, Firefox, etc)
- Clocking/reporting
- Export capabilities
- Power user showing their streamlined configurations
- ...?

I'd like to collect all of the videos in one place, unify them with
some similar (but simple) production, with each of the videos having a
page that links to documentation, Worg, example dotfiles, comments,
etc to help the user take it further on their own.

I'd be happy to host the videos if bandwidth is a concern on the
orgmode.org site.  I've also already purchased the necessary software
to record/edit the videos.  But I'm looking to the community for ideas
on topics as well as individuals who would be willing to record the
videos or at least help me work up a script with key talking points so
I could do the recording and narration.

What do you think?  Anyone interested in helping?

Thanks,
Richard

[1] http://mobileorg.ncogni.to/screencasts/MobileOrg-Dropbox-OSX/
[2] http://ncogni.to/mobileorg/overview.mov

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-23 15:22 ` Russell Adams
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-09-23 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I love the idea of more screencasts!

> I'd be happy to host the videos if bandwidth is a concern on the
> orgmode.org site.

I'll offer up a second mirror on my site, if needed.

> I've also already purchased the necessary software
> to record/edit the videos.

What is needed? I've heard "recordmydesktop" works on Linux, but
hadn't used it yet.

> But I'm looking to the community for ideas on topics as well as
> individuals who would be willing to record the videos or at least
> help me work up a script with key talking points so I could do the
> recording and narration.

I'd love to participate! You can email me directly or on list.

Thanks.

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-23 15:27 ` Eric Schulte
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-23 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Moreland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Richard,

I think this is a really great idea.  I agree this could greatly raise
awareness of Org-mode and Org-mode features both for the completely
uninitiated and for the seasoned users.

We've been meaning to put together a Babel screencast, but as of yet
have not found the time or software.  Hopefully this will be the push we
need to either put together a screencast or send you a script with the
required documentation.

I've had luck hosting Emacs screencasts on vimeo in the past, it is
high-quality and easy to embed the vimeo-hosted video in other sites
(e.g. Worg).

Best -- Eric

Richard Moreland <rlm@ncogni.to> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I think it would be helpful to create a series of screencasts to
> demonstrate Org-mode.  The screencasts I've made for MobileOrg[1,2]
> seem to have helped users get started quickly.  There are so many
> powerful features of Org-mode that are difficult to visualize yourself
> using until you can see them in action.  It may also help draw in new
> users who otherwise wouldn't quite get it.
>
> Some topics that may be interesting:
>
> - Org-mode in action, demonstrating common tasks like capture,
> restructuring a tree, refiling, etc.
> - Babel
> - Integration with other tools (Gnus, WL, Firefox, etc)
> - Clocking/reporting
> - Export capabilities
> - Power user showing their streamlined configurations
> - ...?
>
> I'd like to collect all of the videos in one place, unify them with
> some similar (but simple) production, with each of the videos having a
> page that links to documentation, Worg, example dotfiles, comments,
> etc to help the user take it further on their own.
>
> I'd be happy to host the videos if bandwidth is a concern on the
> orgmode.org site.  I've also already purchased the necessary software
> to record/edit the videos.  But I'm looking to the community for ideas
> on topics as well as individuals who would be willing to record the
> videos or at least help me work up a script with key talking points so
> I could do the recording and narration.
>
> What do you think?  Anyone interested in helping?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>
> [1] http://mobileorg.ncogni.to/screencasts/MobileOrg-Dropbox-OSX/
> [2] http://ncogni.to/mobileorg/overview.mov

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-23 15:56 ` Erik Iverson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-09-23 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Moreland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard,

First of all, your MobileOrg screencasts are very nice.
In my opinion, keeping things high-level and showing
the major features are what is important.  In a way,
they are commercials for the product, and I think the
best way to entice people into trying the product is to
make them say "Wow" when viewing the video.

I would be happy to help but would need to know the
software requirements.  Is it easy to make these under
Linux?

@ 2010-09-23 16:21   ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-09-23 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've just installed and tested "recordmydesktop" (based on Russell's
recommendation) on my Linux system and it seems to work great.  It
produces .ogv video files, which will need to be run through ffmpeg or
mencode first to be compatible with Vimeo.

On my Mac, I used Telestream's ScreenFlow, which has a great set of
editing tools built in.

I'd like to create a Worg page that will list:

- A link to each screencast
  Each screencast page ideally would contain:
  - Embedded video
  - Links to relevent documentation
  - Material referenced from the video (links to other packages, etc.)
  - Sample configuration files needed to achieve the results of the video
- Subject ideas
- Tools needed to record your own, where to upload them, etc.

I hope once we get one or two in there, it'll be easy for anyone else
who wants to contribute to follow suit.

I like the idea of using Vimeo since we may get new users who search
for "emacs" on that site.

So.. who wants to go first? :)  (Or if you don't want to do the
recording yourself, I'd be happy to work with you to come up with some
basic script for me to follow).

-Richard

@ 2010-09-23 16:31   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-09-23 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Maybe some help can be found here re. software?

- Big list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screencasting_software
- A bit dated, but pretty cool overview of some Linux methods:
http://www.linuxhaxor.net/?p=815
- Krut looks simple enough and has some neat features:
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce-Dmitri-s-open-source-blend-of-productive-computing/Krut-screencasts-made-easy
- This is recent and looks simple:
http://verb3k.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/how-to-do-proper-screencasts-on-linux/

I've never done this and so cannot really recommend anything in particular
from the wiki list... I did just try the last method (ffmpeg) and it worked
great. I don't have pulse audio at the moment, but tailoring their command
to this worked for me:

---
ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1024x768 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le
-vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 output.mkv
---

Hope that helps even slightly... I didn't want to fiddle with the actual
"applications" right now, but I'm thinking that the ones with a spotlight
for the cursor and ability to zoom in could prove to be quite the nice
touch.

Perhaps we should put together "screencast wish list" somewhere? Then
perhaps individuals could sign up to work on them?

I think LaTeX integration would be a huge sell. I know a guy at work who
uses LaTeX for reports but has never heard of Org-mode. I, on the other
hand, only know about LaTeX because I found out about Org-mode. The more
I've learned how to use LaTeX, the more when he talks about things I can't
believe he's typing out all those lines for his reports! Showing how
Org-mode can take what you already know and make it that much easier and
faster to get work done would be neat, IMO.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screencasting_software>John

@ 2010-09-23 16:34 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2010-09-23 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

mwe-log-commands may be particularly useful for an emacs related screencast
http://www.foldr.org/~michaelw/emacs/mwe-log-commands.el

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-23 16:49     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-23 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Moreland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Moreland <rlm@ncogni.to> writes:

> I've just installed and tested "recordmydesktop" (based on Russell's
> recommendation) on my Linux system and it seems to work great.

I can confirm this -- recordmydesktop is the tool I use regularily for
screencasts.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-23 18:16 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-09-23 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Moreland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Richard,

great idea.

There are some screencasts around that could serve as a basis.  I'd
gladly rework my two little screencasts about org-protocol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Z2PiAcgh8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2xjwxEj-c8

I used Wink[1] to create those screnncasts.  But I guess it's not what
we should use (flash)?

To make all screencasts look the same, we would need to make them all on
the same system.  That's a problem.
For simple movies, just inside emacs, we could write an elisp file for
you to execute.  But as soon as other applications are involved, we'll
have a problem to solve.

 Sebastian

---
[1] http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-23 22:47 ` Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2010-09-23 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Richard Moreland <rlm <at> ncogni.to> writes:
> I think it would be helpful to create a series of screencasts to
> demonstrate Org-mode.

Great idea!  I would he happy to record a couple of screencasts
based on tutorials I have written. Currently I am preparing
a tutorial on date trees and capturing notes to a journal.

I am a Windows user and a screencast tool I use is
http://www.screenr.com - from Articulate.
This allows screencasts up to 5 minutes to be recorded
then hosted on their website.

Charles

* Re: Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-24  0:45   ` Richard Moreland
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-09-24  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Cave; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I jumped the gun a bit and decided to put together a video showing the very basics.  It seems overly simple when I re-watch it, but I think it is helpful for those who are unsure how to get started with the basics of Org-mode.

http://ncogni.to/org-screencasts/1-basics/

Feedback is welcome, these were the least exciting topics to cover, but I wasn't sure how to really wow new users without overwhelming them.  I figured that taking it step by step with short, clear episodes covering special topics would be a good start.

-Richard

On Sep 23, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Charles Cave wrote:

>> Richard Moreland <rlm <at> ncogni.to> writes:
>> I think it would be helpful to create a series of screencasts to
>> demonstrate Org-mode.
>
> Great idea!  I would he happy to record a couple of screencasts
> based on tutorials I have written. Currently I am preparing
> a tutorial on date trees and capturing notes to a journal.
>
> I am a Windows user and a screencast tool I use is
> http://www.screenr.com - from Articulate.
> This allows screencasts up to 5 minutes to be recorded
> then hosted on their website.
>
> Charles

* Re: Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-24  2:54     ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-09-24  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Moreland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Charles Cave

On 09/23/2010 07:45 PM, Richard Moreland wrote:
> I jumped the gun a bit and decided to put together a video showing the very basics.  It seems overly simple when I re-watch it, but I think it is helpful for those who are unsure how to get started with the basics of Org-mode.
>
> http://ncogni.to/org-screencasts/1-basics/
>
> Feedback is welcome, these were the least exciting topics to cover, but I wasn't sure how to really wow new users without overwhelming them.  I figured that taking it step by step with short, clear episodes covering special topics would be a good start.

Really nice, agree that the intro is the least exciting.

But even starting with agendas in the next one, the more interesting things
can be shown.

Great job!

So with the software you use, you can go and insert/delete/edit voice into the
presentation once it's complete, or if you want to change the wording in one
part, do you have to record the whole thing over again?  I assume you can change
it, but don't know if the Linux tool has that capability.

> -Richard
>
> On Sep 23, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Charles Cave wrote:
>
>>> Richard Moreland<rlm<at>  ncogni.to>  writes:
>>> I think it would be helpful to create a series of screencasts to
>>> demonstrate Org-mode.
>>
>> Great idea!  I would he happy to record a couple of screencasts
>> based on tutorials I have written. Currently I am preparing
>> a tutorial on date trees and capturing notes to a journal.
>>
>> I am a Windows user and a screencast tool I use is
>> http://www.screenr.com - from Articulate.
>> This allows screencasts up to 5 minutes to be recorded
>> then hosted on their website.
>>
>> Charles

* Re: Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-24  2:58     ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-09-24  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Moreland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Charles Cave

On 09/23/2010 07:45 PM, Richard Moreland wrote:
> I jumped the gun a bit and decided to put together a video showing the very basics.  It seems overly simple when I re-watch it, but I think it is helpful for those who are unsure how to get started with the basics of Org-mode.
>
> http://ncogni.to/org-screencasts/1-basics/
>
> Feedback is welcome, these were the least exciting topics to cover, but I wasn't sure how to really wow new users without overwhelming them.  I figured that taking it step by step with short, clear episodes covering special topics would be a good start.

One more thought, if it's easy to edit the screencast, throw in a bit about
headline folding.  Just show how easy it is to collapse and expand the
different headlines.

> -Richard
>
> On Sep 23, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Charles Cave wrote:
>
>>> Richard Moreland<rlm<at>  ncogni.to>  writes:
>>> I think it would be helpful to create a series of screencasts to
>>> demonstrate Org-mode.
>>
>> Great idea!  I would he happy to record a couple of screencasts
>> based on tutorials I have written. Currently I am preparing
>> a tutorial on date trees and capturing notes to a journal.
>>
>> I am a Windows user and a screencast tool I use is
>> http://www.screenr.com - from Articulate.
>> This allows screencasts up to 5 minutes to be recorded
>> then hosted on their website.
>>
>> Charles

* Re: Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-24  3:09       ` John Hendy
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: John Hendy @ 2010-09-24  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: Charles Cave, emacs-orgmode

Wow, Richard. That was sweet. You even have a pleasing "screencaster's
voice."

My only thought was along the lines of what one should assume about org-mode
viewers. Familiarity with emacs? No knowledge of emacs? I only got into
emacs because I found org-mode, so my only thought there is that I might not
even have known what "meta" was... I can't recall, but did you clarify meta
= alt on Win/Linux and Command on Mac?

Stuff like that might be helpful. Obviously these won't all be done on a Mac
and some unfamiliar with it might wonder what the Command and carat symbols
are on their own keyboards?

As Erik said -- folding and perhaps adjusting in and out (meta +
left/right). Also, it seems that only the meta or control functions show up
as keystrokes. For example, I thought you said "M-n s" and "M-n w" to narrow
on the tree and then widen the view but I only ever saw one part of that
flash on the screen.

Great, great job. Loved it and think this is exactly what Org could use. I
have a co-worker who just got emacs and org-mode up on his computer and
would love to have something this simple and clear-cut.

Great work, again.
John

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> wrote:

> On 09/23/2010 07:45 PM, Richard Moreland wrote:
>
>> I jumped the gun a bit and decided to put together a video showing the
>> very basics.  It seems overly simple when I re-watch it, but I think it is
>> helpful for those who are unsure how to get started with the basics of
>> Org-mode.
>>
>> http://ncogni.to/org-screencasts/1-basics/
>>
>> Feedback is welcome, these were the least exciting topics to cover, but I
>> wasn't sure how to really wow new users without overwhelming them.  I
>> figured that taking it step by step with short, clear episodes covering
>> special topics would be a good start.
>>

> Really nice, agree that the intro is the least exciting.
>
> But even starting with agendas in the next one, the more interesting things
> can be shown.
>
> Great job!
>
> So with the software you use, you can go and insert/delete/edit voice into
> the
> presentation once it's complete, or if you want to change the wording in
> one
> part, do you have to record the whole thing over again?  I assume you can
> change
> it, but don't know if the Linux tool has that capability.
>

>  -Richard

>>> Great idea!  I would he happy to record a couple of screencasts
>>> based on tutorials I have written. Currently I am preparing
>>> a tutorial on date trees and capturing notes to a journal.
>>>
>>> I am a Windows user and a screencast tool I use is
>>> http://www.screenr.com - from Articulate.
>>> This allows screencasts up to 5 minutes to be recorded
>>> then hosted on their website.
>>>
>>> Charles

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-24  3:10 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-09-24  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Sep 23 2010, Richard Moreland wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I think it would be helpful to create a series of screencasts to
> demonstrate Org-mode.  The screencasts I've made for MobileOrg[1,2]
> seem to have helped users get started quickly.  There are so many
> powerful features of Org-mode that are difficult to visualize yourself
> using until you can see them in action.  It may also help draw in new
> users who otherwise wouldn't quite get it.

One thing that would be really excellent is to show keystrokes as you do
the tutorial. I don't know what system you're using, but this link:

http://screencasters.heathenx.org/blog/2009/04/06/smaller-key-status-monitor/

Sounds like it might be okay for Linux, and this one has some (seriously
ugly) options for Windows:

http://dan.hersam.com/2009/05/01/how-to-display-keystrokes-for-screencasts-on-windows/

Macs have KeyCastr or something like that…

Just a thought!

Eric

@ 2010-09-24  3:34         ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-09-24  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Charles Cave

Erik, thanks for the reminder about folding.  I had it in my script and must've lost it in one of the edits.  I do prefer making these on the Mac.  It makes piecing them together much easier.  Recordmydesktop on Linux will do single takes fine, but stitching it together in the end may be a chore.  Maybe you guys are good enough to do it all in one take though :)

John, you raise good points about what we can expect of the viewer.  I'm open to suggestions, in fact maybe a 'Just enough Emacs for Org-mode' intro could help newcomers to Emacs who are here just for Org-mode (like I was a year ago).  Some of these issues could also be addressed on the episode's webpage, which would link to relevant docs and info.

As far as some of the missing keystrokes, I was trying to find a balance between showing every keystroke (and risk confusing the user), or just show only the keys with modifiers (my 2 options in the tool, unfortunately).

I've updated the screencast (same URL) to contain a small bit about folding.

Thanks for the comments, I hope we can refine this and make a plan for more as well.

-Richard

On Sep 23, 2010, at 11:09 PM, John Hendy wrote:

> [...]
>
> So with the software you use, you can go and insert/delete/edit voice into the
> presentation once it's complete, or if you want to change the wording in one
> part, do you have to record the whole thing over again?  I assume you can change
> it, but don't know if the Linux tool has that capability.
>

> -Richard
>
> On Sep 23, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Charles Cave wrote:
>
> Richard Moreland<rlm<at>  ncogni.to>  writes:
> I think it would be helpful to create a series of screencasts to
> demonstrate Org-mode.
>
> Great idea!  I would he happy to record a couple of screencasts
> based on tutorials I have written. Currently I am preparing
> a tutorial on date trees and capturing notes to a journal.
>
> I am a Windows user and a screencast tool I use is
> http://www.screenr.com - from Articulate.
> This allows screencasts up to 5 minutes to be recorded

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-24  3:46           ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2010-09-24  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 23:34:00 -0400, Richard Moreland wrote:

> Erik, thanks for the reminder about folding.  I had it in my script and
> must've lost it in one of the edits.  I do prefer making these on the
> Mac.  It makes piecing them together much easier.  Recordmydesktop on
> Linux will do single takes fine, but stitching it together in the end
> may be a chore.  Maybe you guys are good enough to do it all in one take
> though :)
>
> John, you raise good points about what we can expect of the viewer.  I'm
> open to suggestions, in fact maybe a 'Just enough Emacs for Org-mode'
> intro could help newcomers to Emacs who are here just for Org-mode (like
> I was a year ago).  Some of these issues could also be addressed on the
> episode's webpage, which would link to relevant docs and info.
>
> As far as some of the missing keystrokes, I was trying to find a balance
> between showing every keystroke (and risk confusing the user), or just
> show only the keys with modifiers (my 2 options in the tool,
> unfortunately).
>
> I've updated the screencast (same URL) to contain a small bit about
> folding.
>
> Thanks for the comments, I hope we can refine this and make a plan for
> more as well.
>
> -Richard

A tool I looked at a few months ago might be useful here.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ScreencastMode
I downloaded it but haven't played with it yet. Its main purpose is to
make the inner working of whats happening in emacs more obvious to the
viewer.

Shelagh

> [...]
>> into the presentation once it's complete, or if you want to change the
>> wording in one part, do you have to record the whole thing over again?
>> I assume you can change it, but don't know if the Linux tool has that
>> capability.
>>

>> -Richard
>>
>> On Sep 23, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Charles Cave wrote:
>>
>> Richard Moreland<rlm<at>  ncogni.to>  writes: I think it would be
>> helpful to create a series of screencasts to demonstrate Org-mode.
>>
>> Great idea!  I would he happy to record a couple of screencasts based
>> on tutorials I have written. Currently I am preparing a tutorial on
>> date trees and capturing notes to a journal.
>>
>> I am a Windows user and a screencast tool I use is
>> http://www.screenr.com - from Articulate. This allows screencasts up to
>> 5 minutes to be recorded then hosted on their website.

* Re: Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-24  3:50         ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-09-24  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Charles Cave, emacs-orgmode

On 09/23/2010 10:09 PM, John Hendy wrote:
> Wow, Richard. That was sweet. You even have a pleasing "screencaster's
> voice."

Agreed with John.  Your voice is perfect for this, and you have
good timing and delivery.

> [...]
>     wording in one
>     part, do you have to record the whole thing over again?  I assume
>     you can change
>     it, but don't know if the Linux tool has that capability.
>

>         -Richard
>
>         On Sep 23, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Charles Cave wrote:
>
>                 Richard Moreland<rlm<at> ncogni.to <http://ncogni.to>>
>                   writes:
>                 I think it would be helpful to create a series of
>                 screencasts to
>                 demonstrate Org-mode.
>

>             Great idea!  I would he happy to record a couple of screencasts
>             based on tutorials I have written. Currently I am preparing
>             a tutorial on date trees and capturing notes to a journal.
>
>             I am a Windows user and a screencast tool I use is
>             http://www.screenr.com - from Articulate.
>             This allows screencasts up to 5 minutes to be recorded

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-24  8:45     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-09-24  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

,----
| This ScreenFlow video requires a more recent version of the Adobe Flash
| Player to display. Please update your version of the Adobe Flash Player.
`----

?!?!
Grrrrr!!!

wget http://ncogni.to/org-screencasts/1-basics/movie.f4v
vlc movie.f4v

Aaaah!

Well done :)

Memnon

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
       [not found] <201009241600.o8OG0swV023247@hormel6.ieee.org>
@ 2010-09-24 18:01 ` Raymond Zeitler
From: Raymond Zeitler @ 2010-09-24 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: 'Raymond Zeitler'

Hi Richard:

I really like the video!  I know some Emacs users have custom color screens,
so I was very encouraged that you recorded the tutorial using the default.
(I switched back to the default specifically for Org-mode.)

I also liked seeing the keystrokes (even though I'm a Windows PC user).  I
do know what the Meta key is (having used Emacs for over 10 years.)  But
maybe the Mac command key image could be replaced by "M-" to be consistent
with Emacs documentation.  I never knew about using M-Up & M-Down to
re-order items, so I did learn from this!

I thought the pace was too fast, actually.  Some of the keystrokes went by
very fast.  And some were missing, although now I realize that you
highlighted only the Org-mode-specific keys and not the ones for Emacs
functions, such as narrowing.  Maybe it's just me, but I never use
narrowing, so those are new keys for me.  Overall I felt that the pace would
be good for a recap.

I tried using Org-mode several months ago.  But I never fully embraced it.
I'm sure tutorials like yours will give me the incentive to use it
regularly.  I definitely look forward to watching more, and I will try hard
to respond often with helpful comments.

I hope this helps!

--
Raymond Zeitler <r.zeitler@ieee.org>

I jumped the gun a bit and decided to put together a video showing the very
basics.  It seems overly simple when I re-watch it, but I think it is
helpful for those who are unsure how to get started with the basics of
Org-mode.

http://ncogni.to/org-screencasts/1-basics/

Feedback is welcome, these were the least exciting topics to cover, but I
wasn't sure how to really wow new users without overwhelming them.  I
figured that taking it step by step with short, clear episodes covering
special topics would be a good start.

-Richard

On Sep 23, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Charles Cave wrote:

>> Richard Moreland <rlm <at> ncogni.to> writes:
>> I think it would be helpful to create a series of screencasts to
>> demonstrate Org-mode.
>
> Great idea!  I would he happy to record a couple of screencasts
> based on tutorials I have written. Currently I am preparing
> a tutorial on date trees and capturing notes to a journal.
>
> I am a Windows user and a screencast tool I use is
> http://www.screenr.com - from Articulate.
> This allows screencasts up to 5 minutes to be recorded
> then hosted on their website.
>
> Charles

* Re: Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-24 20:17           ` Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2010-09-24 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Richard,

great job: great voice and an excellent way to get started! -

ScreenFlow is probably the best (commercial) choice on the Mac, we also used it for Carsten's presentation at our institute. - One thing about showing the keystrokes: we prefer to use Aquamacs on the Mac (not least because it works out-of-the-box with a German keyboard and the usual Mac shortcuts), here "Meta" usually is the Alt key, another argument for not showing the Mac-specific "Cmd"-key icon.

We now use Org-mode to create personal pages for staff members of our institute, unfortunately, some parts of the documentation still need an English version: http://www.nf.mpg.de/cv-howto/cv-en.html. This example even implements hCard markup, http://www.nf.mpg.de/cv-howto/ex3-en.html (this was triggered by a suggestion from Shelagh Manton on this list). Your screencast has given me some ideas on how to present something on HTML generation with Org-mode as a screencast - maybe we can collaborate on this?

Warm regards,
 Stefan

On 24.09.2010, at 05:34, Richard Moreland wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> So with the software you use, you can go and insert/delete/edit voice into the
>> presentation once it's complete, or if you want to change the wording in one
>> part, do you have to record the whole thing over again?  I assume you can change
>> it, but don't know if the Linux tool has that capability.
>>

>> -Richard
>>
>> On Sep 23, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Charles Cave wrote:
>>
>> Richard Moreland<rlm<at>  ncogni.to>  writes:
>> I think it would be helpful to create a series of screencasts to
>> demonstrate Org-mode.
>>
>> Great idea!  I would he happy to record a couple of screencasts
>> based on tutorials I have written. Currently I am preparing
>> a tutorial on date trees and capturing notes to a journal.
>>
>> I am a Windows user and a screencast tool I use is
>> http://www.screenr.com - from Articulate.
>> This allows screencasts up to 5 minutes to be recorded

Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung
Gleuelerstr. 50, 50931 Köln, Germany
Tel.: +49-221-4726-213  FAX +49-221-4726-298
Tel.: +49-221-478-5713  Mobile: 0160-93874279
Email: vollmar@nf.mpg.de   http://www.nf.mpg.de

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-25 23:34         ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-09-25 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Charles Cave

I just wanted to follow up and point out that I added the following page to Worg (linked from the Tutorials page):

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-screencasts/

I re-recorded the last screencast to make the keystrokes more clear.  I'm considering it done unless you guys find anything else I should add/fix.

If anyone would like to contribute ideas or scripts for screencasts in the future, please let me know.  I'd be happy to do the production/recording/voiceover, but help planning the script would be great.

> [...]

> So with the software you use, you can go and insert/delete/edit voice into the
> presentation once it's complete, or if you want to change the wording in one
> part, do you have to record the whole thing over again?  I assume you can change
> it, but don't know if the Linux tool has that capability.
>

> -Richard
>
> On Sep 23, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Charles Cave wrote:
>
> Richard Moreland<rlm<at>  ncogni.to>  writes:
> I think it would be helpful to create a series of screencasts to
> demonstrate Org-mode.
>
> Great idea!  I would he happy to record a couple of screencasts
> based on tutorials I have written. Currently I am preparing
> a tutorial on date trees and capturing notes to a journal.
>
> I am a Windows user and a screencast tool I use is
> http://www.screenr.com - from Articulate.
> This allows screencasts up to 5 minutes to be recorded

* Re: Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-26 15:03   ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2010-09-26 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

Le vendredi 24 septembre 2010 à 11:10 +0800, Eric Abrahamsen a écrit :

> One thing that would be really excellent is to show keystrokes as you do
> the tutorial. I don't know what system you're using, but this link:
>
> http://screencasters.heathenx.org/blog/2009/04/06/smaller-key-status-monitor/
>
> Sounds like it might be okay for Linux, and this one has some (seriously
> ugly) options for Windows:
>
> http://dan.hersam.com/2009/05/01/how-to-display-keystrokes-for-screencasts-on-windows/
>
> Macs have KeyCastr or something like that…

I've seen use of :
http://pabloseminario.com/projects/screenkey/ on Ubuntu, that was quite
nice for this I guess.

My 2 cents,

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu>
Ingénieur Recherche - Dept INF

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-26 18:41   ` Jeff Kowalczyk
From: Jeff Kowalczyk @ 2010-09-26 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen <eric <at> ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

> One thing that would be really excellent is to show keystrokes as you do
> the tutorial. I don't know what system you're using, but this link:
>
> http://screencasters.heathenx.org/blog/2009/04/06/smaller-key-status-monitor/
>

> Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> mwe-log-commands may be particularly useful for an emacs related
> screencast http://www.foldr.org/~michaelw/emacs/mwe-log-commands.el

It would be extremely nice for screencasting Emacs to have a configurable input
and prompt display similar to the calc trail.

Wish list:

- stack view of the keystream from view-lossage
- annotations (i.e. an overlay) when a binding dispatches a command
  using the mechanism from mwe-log-commands.
- annotations of minibuffer prompts
- annotations of keybinding hints

The view-lossage stream doesn't use the format one would want for user
documentation:

Something like the following would be more like documentation:

C-x b [switch-to-buffer]
f o o RET [minibuffer input]
RET [minibuffer prompt confirm]
[visiting buffer] foo
M-x [<menu>]
v i e w - l o s s a g e RET [minibuffer input]
[visiting buffer] *Help*

The parts in [brackets] are intended to indicate some kind of face overlay. As
uncolored plaintext the information is just distracting.

Another tool, http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ScreencastMode has good ideas for
keybinding hints and one-key stepthrough. I don't think the typed-text narration
style is a good fit for these particular screencasts and their target audience,
however.

Jeff

* Re: Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-28 10:23     ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-09-28 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Kowalczyk; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard,

That's a great intro screencast.

Scot

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Jeff Kowalczyk <jtk@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Eric Abrahamsen <eric <at> ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>> One thing that would be really excellent is to show keystrokes as you do
>> the tutorial. I don't know what system you're using, but this link:
>>
>> http://screencasters.heathenx.org/blog/2009/04/06/smaller-key-status-monitor/
>>

>> Rustom Mody wrote:
>>
>> mwe-log-commands may be particularly useful for an emacs related
>> screencast http://www.foldr.org/~michaelw/emacs/mwe-log-commands.el
>
> It would be extremely nice for screencasting Emacs to have a configurable input
> and prompt display similar to the calc trail.
>
> Wish list:
>
> - stack view of the keystream from view-lossage
> - annotations (i.e. an overlay) when a binding dispatches a command
>  using the mechanism from mwe-log-commands.
> - annotations of minibuffer prompts
> - annotations of keybinding hints
>
> The view-lossage stream doesn't use the format one would want for user
> documentation:

> Something like the following would be more like documentation:
>
> C-x b [switch-to-buffer]
> f o o RET [minibuffer input]
> RET [minibuffer prompt confirm]
> [visiting buffer] foo
> M-x [<menu>]
> v i e w - l o s s a g e RET [minibuffer input]
> [visiting buffer] *Help*
>
> The parts in [brackets] are intended to indicate some kind of face overlay. As
> uncolored plaintext the information is just distracting.
>
> Another tool, http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ScreencastMode has good ideas for
> keybinding hints and one-key stepthrough. I don't think the typed-text narration
> style is a good fit for these particular screencasts and their target audience,
> however.
>
> Jeff

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-28 10:35       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-09-28 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Unfortunately neither istanbul nor recordmydesktop work properly on my
twinview desktop : both are very very slow and flickery.

What is the current concensus for screencasting with Linux : hopefully
with some sort of ability to show the keys pressed and an easy way to
annotate the video?

Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard,
>
> That's a great intro screencast.
>
> Scot
>
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Jeff Kowalczyk <jtk@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric <at> ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>>
>>> One thing that would be really excellent is to show keystrokes as you do
>>> the tutorial. I don't know what system you're using, but this link:
>>>
>>> http://screencasters.heathenx.org/blog/2009/04/06/smaller-key-status-monitor/
>>>

>>> Rustom Mody wrote:
>>>
>>> mwe-log-commands may be particularly useful for an emacs related
>>> screencast http://www.foldr.org/~michaelw/emacs/mwe-log-commands.el
>>
>> It would be extremely nice for screencasting Emacs to have a configurable
> input
>> and prompt display similar to the calc trail.
>>
>> Wish list:
>>
>> - stack view of the keystream from view-lossage
>> - annotations (i.e. an overlay) when a binding dispatches a command
>>  using the mechanism from mwe-log-commands.
>> - annotations of minibuffer prompts
>> - annotations of keybinding hints
>>
>> The view-lossage stream doesn't use the format one would want for user
>> documentation:

>> Something like the following would be more like documentation:
>>
>> C-x b [switch-to-buffer]
>> f o o RET [minibuffer input]
>> RET [minibuffer prompt confirm]
>> [visiting buffer] foo
>> M-x [<menu>]
>> v i e w - l o s s a g e RET [minibuffer input]
>> [visiting buffer] *Help*
>>
>> The parts in [brackets] are intended to indicate some kind of face overlay. As
>> uncolored plaintext the information is just distracting.
>>
>> Another tool, http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ScreencastMode has good ideas for
>> keybinding hints and one-key stepthrough. I don't think the typed-text
> narration
>> style is a good fit for these particular screencasts and their target
> audience,
>> however.
>>
>> Jeff

☘ http://www.shamrockirishbar.com, http://splash-of-open-sauce.blogspot.com/ http://www.richardriley.net

* Re: Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-09-28 12:06         ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-09-28 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
> Unfortunately neither istanbul nor recordmydesktop work properly on my
> twinview desktop : both are very very slow and flickery.
>
> What is the current concensus for screencasting with Linux : hopefully
> with some sort of ability to show the keys pressed and an easy way to
> annotate the video?

Wink let's you annotate the video and works quite well, once you know
what _not_ to do.  Save often is a good idea.  It does not compile on my
system without some work, since it still uses Qt3.

Screenkey shows the keys. It works very well here.

For creating and editing videos, I'm currently trying OpenShot.  It's
dead simple to use.  It lets you use images too, so one could go and use
images for annotations or even create a video from screenshots and other
images.  This has the advantage that you can read the fonts later on.

 Sebastian

* Re: Org-mode screencasts
@ 2010-11-05 13:11     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-11-05 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:21:14PM -0400, Richard Moreland wrote:
> I've just installed and tested "recordmydesktop" (based on Russell's
> recommendation) on my Linux system and it seems to work great.  It
> produces .ogv video files, which will need to be run through ffmpeg or
> mencode first to be compatible with Vimeo.

To update this topic:

I've been recording a screencast for setting up a functional Org-mode
installation in Windows (I'll post about this separately), and wanted
to share the tools I'm using.

I did use recordmydesktop, and the Ogg Theora files it outputs had
some minor time synchronization issues. Nothing major, it "catches up"
frequently, but not real time keystroke capture. It runs in spurts.

I used Kdenlive to stitch together multiple segments, and found it to
be an excellent product, with terrible Ogg Theora support. To save
some time for the next person, here's what I did.

I took my .ogv's and transcoded them to .mov using ffmpeg, and split
the audio out to a separate wav file. Then Kdenlive used the .mov and
.wav in parallel tracks for rendering.

for X in *.ogv ; do ffmpeg -i $X -vn -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 22050 -ac 1
`basename $X .ogv`.wav ; done

for X in *.ogv ; do ffmpeg -i $X -an `basename $X .ogv`.mov ; done

After learning a bit on audio and video fades, Kden's rendering was
great. Always use at least a short audio fade in and out to prevent
clicks when changing tracks.

Next time I may use ffmpeg directly to record to avoid Theora, though
I think I'll continue to use my bluetooth headset with pulseaudio.

Thanks.