* Footnote export
@ 2010-07-31  3:17 Typhoon
From: Typhoon @ 2010-07-31  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Org Moders,

This must surely be a stupid question, so forgiveness in advance,
please.

I write legal texts and often need to reference case law like this:

/Pyke v The Hibernian Bank Limited/ [1950] IR 195

Obviously, I don't want the [1950] to be a footnote. What do I do?

Thanks,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206

Tel:  04 2748 6206

* Re: Footnote export
@ 2010-07-31  5:27 ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-07-31  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Typhoon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 07/31/2010 05:17 AM, Typhoon wrote:
> I write legal texts and often need to reference case law like this:
>
> /Pyke v The Hibernian Bank Limited/ [1950] IR 195
>
> Obviously, I don't want the [1950] to be a footnote. What do I do?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

Hi Alan,

you can add the following line:

at the start of your Org file to disable footnotes entirely. For more
information, see "12.3 Export Options" in the manual.

You could also insert the unicode character "zero width space" after the
opening bracket like this:

M-x ucs-insert 200B <RET>

That is a handy trick I got from reading this very list some time ago
(sorry, I don't remember who had posted that), although I imagine that
gets tedious after a while.

I do not know if it is possible to disable plain footnotes while still
using the [fn:1] syntax.

HTH, Jan

* Re: Footnote export
@ 2010-07-31  6:32   ` Typhoon
From: Typhoon @ 2010-07-31  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Böcker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 07:27:50 +0200
Jan Böcker <jan.boecker@jboecker.de> wrote:

> On 07/31/2010 05:17 AM, Typhoon wrote:
> > I write legal texts and often need to reference case law like this:
> >
> > /Pyke v The Hibernian Bank Limited/ [1950] IR 195
> >
> > Obviously, I don't want the [1950] to be a footnote. What do I do?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alan
> >

> Hi Alan,
>
> you can add the following line:
>
> at the start of your Org file to disable footnotes entirely. For more
> information, see "12.3 Export Options" in the manual.
>
> You could also insert the unicode character "zero width space" after
> the opening bracket like this:
>
> M-x ucs-insert 200B <RET>
>
> That is a handy trick I got from reading this very list some time ago
> (sorry, I don't remember who had posted that), although I imagine that
> gets tedious after a while.
>
> I do not know if it is possible to disable plain footnotes while still
> using the [fn:1] syntax.

Yes, thanks. I was using f:nil but what I would really like is to
disable [1] type footnotes while retaining the [fn:1] style.

Nice trick on the zero-space - That would be OK, I suppose, but like
you say, a bit tedious after a while.

Cheers,
Alan

> HTH, Jan

Tel:  04 2748 6206

* Re: Footnote export
@ 2010-07-31 17:33     ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-07-31 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Typhoon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 07/31/2010 08:32 AM, Typhoon wrote:

> Yes, thanks. I was using f:nil but what I would really like is to
> disable [1] type footnotes while retaining the [fn:1] style.
>
> Nice trick on the zero-space - That would be OK, I suppose, but like
> you say, a bit tedious after a while.

Alright, so we know a way to do what we want (although it is possibly
not the most elegant method), but it is a tedious, repetitive task. No
worries, that's what computers are for!

Add the following to your .emacs:

(defun jb/disable-plain-footnotes-hack ()
  (if (plist-get opt-plist :no-plain-footnotes)
	  (save-excursion
		(goto-char 1)
		(replace-regexp "\\[\\([0-9]+\\)\\]" "[\u200B\\1]"))))

(add-to-list 'org-export-inbuffer-options-extra
'("DISABLE_PLAIN_FOOTNOTES" :no-plain-footnotes))

(add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook 'jb/disable-plain-footnotes-hack)

To disable plain footnotes, you can now add a line like this to your Org
file:
#+DISABLE_PLAIN_FOOTNOTES: some arbitrary text

Hope this works and solves your problem for now.

Jan

* Re: Footnote export
@ 2010-08-01  0:56       ` Typhoon
From: Typhoon @ 2010-08-01  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Böcker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:33:14 +0200
Jan Böcker <jan.boecker@jboecker.de> wrote:

> On 07/31/2010 08:32 AM, Typhoon wrote:
> >
> > Yes, thanks. I was using f:nil but what I would really like is to
> > disable [1] type footnotes while retaining the [fn:1] style.
> >
> > Nice trick on the zero-space - That would be OK, I suppose, but like
> > you say, a bit tedious after a while.
> >

> Alright, so we know a way to do what we want (although it is possibly
> not the most elegant method), but it is a tedious, repetitive task. No
> worries, that's what computers are for!
>
> Add the following to your .emacs:
>
> (defun jb/disable-plain-footnotes-hack ()
>   (if (plist-get opt-plist :no-plain-footnotes)
> 	  (save-excursion
> 		(goto-char 1)
> 		(replace-regexp "\\[\\([0-9]+\\)\\]" "[\u200B\\1]"))))
>
> (add-to-list 'org-export-inbuffer-options-extra
> '("DISABLE_PLAIN_FOOTNOTES" :no-plain-footnotes))
>
> (add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook
> 'jb/disable-plain-footnotes-hack)
>

> To disable plain footnotes, you can now add a line like this to your
> Org file:
> #+DISABLE_PLAIN_FOOTNOTES: some arbitrary text
>
> Hope this works and solves your problem for now.

Hi Jan,
That does it with one minor modification: I needed

(load "org-exp.el")

before the (add-to-list xxx).

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,