* lookup functions in spreadsheet/table
@ 2010-07-30 21:06 Neil Hepburn
From: Neil Hepburn @ 2010-07-30 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings

I've looked at the org-mode manual for the spreadsheet functions as well as looked in the GNU Emacs Calc manual for such a function but to no avail. Does such a function exist in org-mode?

Cheers,
Neil

Neil Hepburn, Economics Instructor
Department of Social Sciences, Augustana Faculty
University of Alberta
4901-46 Avenue
Camrose, Alberta  T4V 2R3

Phone (780) 679-1588
email nhepburn@ualberta.ca

No trees were harmed in creating this message. (However, millions of electrons were terribly disturbed.)

* Re: lookup functions in spreadsheet/table
@ 2010-07-30 22:29 ` Juan
From: Juan @ 2010-07-30 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Hepburn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Neil,

One possible solution is to have a babel block defining an elisp
function for note to grade transformation, and then using that
function in your table.

Something like this (partly tested):

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun grade (x)
  (cond
   ( (< x 20) "C")
   ( (< x 50) "B")
   ( t "A")
   ))
#+end_src

| 1  | C |
| 22 | B |
| 44 | B |
| 77 | A |
#+TBLFM: $2='(grade $1);N

This way you get notes and grades in a single table.

If you need a separate table with just names and grades (no notes)
then probably babel is the way to go to explicitly process the table
and generate a new one.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
.j.