* Hoisting (so to speak)
@ 2009-09-17 20:04 timetrap
From: timetrap @ 2009-09-17 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

One of my favorite features in the vim out liner was the ability to
"hoist" a sparse tree into a new temporary buffer.

Is there a way to do this in org-mode?

* Re: Hoisting (so to speak)
@ 2009-09-17 20:40 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-09-17 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: timetrap; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

timetrap <timetrap@gmail.com> writes:

> One of my favorite features in the vim out liner was the ability to
> "hoist" a sparse tree into a new temporary buffer.
>
> Is there a way to do this in org-mode?

Of course there is. This is emacs. ;)

Use C-x n s to narrow to the current subtree.

Use C-x n w to go back to the whole buffer (widen).

Use C-c x b to create a new buffer containing only the current subtree.

See http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#indirect-buffers

Note: I can't recall if the vim outliner's "hoisting" includes
temporarily/artificially "raising" the headline level/indentation of the
narrowed subtree. Org-mode does not do this (and intentionally so).

Best,
Matt

* Re: Hoisting (so to speak)
@ 2009-09-17 20:41 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-09-17 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

C-c C-x b puts the current headline and descendants into a new
buffer. Editing can continue there, but it is just a view into the
total file.

@ 2009-09-17 20:49   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-09-17 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> timetrap <timetrap@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> One of my favorite features in the vim out liner was the ability to
>> "hoist" a sparse tree into a new temporary buffer.
>
>> Is there a way to do this in org-mode?
>
> Of course there is. This is emacs. ;)

O.K. I just realized I missed the "sparse tree" in your question. I
assume you mean by this org-mode definition of "sparse trees" (i.e.,
trees with visibility limited to certain TODO, tags, or regexp matches)?
I don't recall anything like org-mode sparse trees in the vim outliner,
but it may have changed since I last used it.

You can export only the visible portions of an org-mode outline by
typing "C-c C-e v [SPACE]", but this will create a new, independent
org-mode buffer. Any changes you make in this buffer will not affect the
original file.

- Matt

* Re: Hoisting (so to speak)
@ 2009-09-18  1:11     ` timetrap
From: timetrap @ 2009-09-18  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I seemed to have mixed my metaphors AND my text editors in my original
statement.

C-x n s
C-x n w
C-x n b

All work perfectly! And combined with the export command:

C-c C-e v

I can now print only the portions I want.

Thanks everyone!