From: Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Keeping org files under git - trimming the repository
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:53:40 +0900	[thread overview]

Hi,
>About a year ago, I decided to learn how to write "macros" in lisp and
>started by teaching myself about the after-save-hook.  I added a hook
>to auto commit every time I saved any org file.  My simple, small text
>file of todo items is now a giant git repository.

please define giant :)
compared to a plain copy of files under git.
Please consider that every commit create a small overhead to store a commit.
That means if you commit very small changes every minute or so... your git
might blow up.
Do you use any autosave function ? 1 one year saving (and commiting) every 15
min) means 35.000 commits if every auto-commit keeps the sentence "Auto-commit
from my org-files" :this creates 29 bytes * 35.000 commits which ends up to be
1 MB just for storing the log-file text. Other values and things will add to
this.

So please check how many commits you have already.
Repack and gc helps to clean up a bit of the overhead.

As for your concerns to make it smaller again. If you are not interested in
keeping the history of the files any more, most simply might be just create a
new git repro, copy the actual versions of the files to this repro and add them
to git.

Best regards

Totti