* Unnecessary comma escapes in HTML export of #+INCLUDE files
@ 2009-07-22  1:13 Tang, Hsiu-Khuern
From: Tang, Hsiu-Khuern @ 2009-07-22  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

If I include a file in my Org file, say using

#+INCLUDE: "script.sh" src sh

and export to HTML, the included file shows up as a <pre> block, which is nice.
However, a leading comma is put in front of every line that starts with a #,
even those with leading whitespace.  I understand that a comma is used to
escape # in the first column of literal examples, to distinguish from Org
comment lines.  (This escaping is no longer strictly necessary, since the
#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE block can now be indented.)

For included files, could we not add the escaping commas?  Thanks for
considering!

--
Best,
Hsiu-Khuern.

* Re: Unnecessary comma escapes in HTML export of #+INCLUDE files
@ 2009-07-22  7:50 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-22  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

"Tang, Hsiu-Khuern" <hsiu-khuern.tang@hp.com> writes:

> If I include a file in my Org file, say using
>
> #+INCLUDE: "script.sh" src sh
>
> and export to HTML, the included file shows up as a <pre> block, which is nice.
> However, a leading comma is put in front of every line that starts with a #,
> even those with leading whitespace.  I understand that a comma is used to
> escape # in the first column of literal examples, to distinguish from Org
> comment lines.  (This escaping is no longer strictly necessary, since the
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE block can now be indented.)

I cannot reproduce this.

Which version of Org are you using?

PS: by commas do you mean columns?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Unnecessary comma escapes in HTML export of #+INCLUDE files
@ 2009-07-22 17:35   ` Hsiu-Khuern Tang
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2009-07-22 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* On Wed 07:50AM +0000, 22 Jul 2009, Bastien (bastienguerry@googlemail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Tang, Hsiu-Khuern" <hsiu-khuern.tang@hp.com> writes:
>
> > If I include a file in my Org file, say using
> >
> > #+INCLUDE: "script.sh" src sh
> >
> > and export to HTML, the included file shows up as a <pre> block, which is nice.
> > However, a leading comma is put in front of every line that starts with a #,
> > even those with leading whitespace.  I understand that a comma is used to
> > escape # in the first column of literal examples, to distinguish from Org
> > comment lines.  (This escaping is no longer strictly necessary, since the
> > #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE block can now be indented.)
>
> I cannot reproduce this.
>
> Which version of Org are you using?

I'm using 6.28trans.  Can you try to reproduce this using these two files:

File 1: a.org
* test

#+INCLUDE: "a.sh" src sh

File 2: a.sh
#!/bin/sh

 ## shell comment
echo "This is a test"

If I export a.org to HTML, the output has a comma before " ## shell comment"
(but none before "#!/bin/sh", so maybe only lines with leading whitespace
before a # are affected).

Actually, the problem shows up even when exporting to ascii:

Author:  <htang@localhost>
Date: 2009-07-22 10:31:37 PDT

Table of Contents
=================
1 test

1 test
~~~~~~~

  #!/bin/sh

  , ## shell comment
  echo "This is a test"

Thanks for looking into this!

--

@ 2009-07-24  1:22     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-24  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Hsiu-Khuern,

I've just pushed a fix for this: when the "src" switch is present,
including a file won't escape org-like lines.  With a bare #+include
we still escape lines starting with * or #.

Please test it and report any problem.

Thanks,

@ 2009-07-24  5:45       ` Hsiu-Khuern Tang
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2009-07-24  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

* On Fri 01:22AM +0000, 24 Jul 2009, Bastien (bastienguerry@googlemail.com) wrote:
> Hi Hsiu-Khuern,
>
> I've just pushed a fix for this: when the "src" switch is present,
> including a file won't escape org-like lines.  With a bare #+include
> we still escape lines starting with * or #.
>
> Please test it and report any problem.

It works beautifully now.  Thank you very much for the fix!

--

@ 2009-09-01 22:03         ` Hsiu-Khuern Tang
       [not found]           ` <hsiu-khuern.tang@hp.com>
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2009-09-01 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

* On Fri 05:45AM +0000, 24 Jul 2009, Tang, Hsiu-Khuern (hsiu-khuern.tang@hp.com) wrote:
> * On Fri 01:22AM +0000, 24 Jul 2009, Bastien (bastienguerry@googlemail.com) wrote:
> > Hi Hsiu-Khuern,
> >
> > I've just pushed a fix for this: when the "src" switch is present,
> > including a file won't escape org-like lines.  With a bare #+include
> > we still escape lines starting with * or #.
> >
> > Please test it and report any problem.
>
> It works beautifully now.  Thank you very much for the fix!

It looks Org has reverted to the old behavior: inserting a comma at a beginning
of every line in the #INCLUDE'd file that starts with whitespace followed by #.

For example, if you export this as ascii (see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/15718):

File 1: a.org
* test

#+INCLUDE: "a.sh" src sh

File 2: a.sh
#!/bin/sh

 ## shell comment
echo "This is a test"

the output contains the line ", ## shell comment".

Related question: what git commands does one use to obtain all the commits that
changed a particular range of lines in a file?  I'm quite lost with git.

--

@ 2009-09-01 22:47             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-09-01 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hsiu-Khuern Tang <hsiu-khuern.tang@hp.com> wrote:

> * On Fri 05:45AM +0000, 24 Jul 2009, Tang, Hsiu-Khuern (hsiu-khuern.tang@hp.com) wrote:
> > * On Fri 01:22AM +0000, 24 Jul 2009, Bastien (bastienguerry@googlemail.com) wrote:
> > > Hi Hsiu-Khuern,
> > >
> > > I've just pushed a fix for this: when the "src" switch is present,
> > > including a file won't escape org-like lines.  With a bare #+include
> > > we still escape lines starting with * or #.
> > >
> > > Please test it and report any problem.
> >
> > It works beautifully now.  Thank you very much for the fix!
>
> It looks Org has reverted to the old behavior: inserting a comma at a beginning
> of every line in the #INCLUDE'd file that starts with whitespace followed by #.
>
> For example, if you export this as ascii (see
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/15718):
>
> File 1: a.org
> * test
>
> #+INCLUDE: "a.sh" src sh
>
> File 2: a.sh
> #!/bin/sh
>
>  ## shell comment
> echo "This is a test"
>
> the output contains the line ", ## shell comment".
>
> Related question: what git commands does one use to obtain all the commits that
> changed a particular range of lines in a file?  I'm quite lost with git.

There was some churn for this particular functionality, but since I
don't really understand what is *supposed* to happen, I'll just refer
you (and Carsten and Bastien, both of whom made -possibly conflicting-
changes to this functionality) to the following exchange in the archive,
hoping it will shed some light and lead to a satisfactory resolution for
all involved:

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/16244/focus=16259

The relevant commits are

    68b65e8f480c17cfe1024001c236eb4065893f4d

and

    dfd3749a273cc9f9a1d954363ea6de87049d17a7

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: Unnecessary comma escapes in HTML export of #+INCLUDE files
@ 2009-09-02  0:09               ` Hsiu-Khuern Tang
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2009-09-02  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* On Tue 10:47PM +0000, 01 Sep 2009, Dokos, Nicholas (nicholas.dokos@hp.com) wrote:
> Hsiu-Khuern Tang <hsiu-khuern.tang@hp.com> wrote:
> > It looks Org has reverted to the old behavior: inserting a comma at a beginning
> > of every line in the #INCLUDE'd file that starts with whitespace followed by #.
> >
> > For example, if you export this as ascii (see
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/15718):
> >
> > File 1: a.org
> > * test
> >
> > #+INCLUDE: "a.sh" src sh
> >
> > File 2: a.sh
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> >  ## shell comment
> > echo "This is a test"
> >
> > the output contains the line ", ## shell comment".
> >
> > Related question: what git commands does one use to obtain all the commits that
> > changed a particular range of lines in a file?  I'm quite lost with git.
> >

> There was some churn for this particular functionality, but since I
> don't really understand what is *supposed* to happen, I'll just refer
> you (and Carsten and Bastien, both of whom made -possibly conflicting-
> changes to this functionality) to the following exchange in the archive,
> hoping it will shed some light and lead to a satisfactory resolution for
> all involved:
>
>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/16244/focus=16259
>

> The relevant commits are
>
>     68b65e8f480c17cfe1024001c236eb4065893f4d
>
> and
>
>     dfd3749a273cc9f9a1d954363ea6de87049d17a7
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Thanks for pointing me to the relevant commits, both of which changed the
org-get-file-contents function.  I'm not sure what the correct behavior for
that function is, since it may ultimately be used for different purposes, e.g.,
to generate an agenda and for exporting.  For exporting to various formats, is
there any reason to escape Org-like lines -- headers and comments -- of an
#INCLUDE'd file, since the file contents are indented in the output anyway and
so there can be no confusion?  I'm not sure that the indentation occurs for all
export formats, but it seems to be the case for ASCII and HTML export.

At any rate, the docstring of org-get-file-contents is inconsistent with the
behavior:

"If MARKUP, don't protect org-like lines, the exporter will
take care of the block they are in."

It is actually protecting org-like lines when the markup is "src" or "example".

--

@ 2009-09-02  6:25           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-02  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hsiu-Khuern Tang; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Hsiu-Khuern,

I am not able to reproduce the problem.

- Carsten

@ 2009-09-02  7:40             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-09-02  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not able to reproduce the problem.

If the comment in a.sh starts with a space like this:

,----
| #!/bin/sh
|
|  ## shell comment
| echo "This is a test"
`----

then the .txt file has a comma before the comment:

,----
| 1 test
| ~~~~~~~
|
|   #!/bin/sh
|
|   , ## shell comment
|   echo "This is a test"
`----

If there is no space, then the comma is not present.  I'm really not
sure how this is supposed to work - is that the intention?

Thanks,
Nick

Versions: GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of 2009-08-09 on gamaville.dokosmarshall.org
          Org-mode version 6.30 (release_6.30.8.g8b6ff)
(that includes my local changes, but nothing relating to this problem).

@ 2009-09-02  9:33               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-02  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Ah, yes, thank you for that detail.