* Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-07-15  0:09 Manuel Amador
From: Manuel Amador @ 2009-07-15  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi everybody,

I think I have found a bug (or a feature!). Sometimes when
writing documents I tend to comment out a line by adding a "#"
in the column 0. However, after doing this in a line at the
middle of the document, I get the following behavior:

* Random stuff

  Some initial things.

# Then I comment this line out

  But when I keep writing a sufficiently long line such that
# the cursor moves to the next line, a "#" character creeps in!
# and will keep appearing for the remainder of the document.

The last two starting "#" characters are unintentional, they are
put there automatically by emacs.

(I am using fill-mode, my org-mode is from the git repository,
and my version of emacs is 23.0.91.1 running in Ubuntu)

Manuel

* Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-07-15  0:44 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-07-15  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just tried that in 6.24b with auto-fill-mode, and no problems.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 05:09:30PM -0700, Manuel Amador wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I think I have found a bug (or a feature!). Sometimes when
> writing documents I tend to comment out a line by adding a "#"
> in the column 0. However, after doing this in a line at the
> middle of the document, I get the following behavior:

> * Random stuff
>
>   Some initial things.
>
> # Then I comment this line out
>
>   But when I keep writing a sufficiently long line such that
> # the cursor moves to the next line, a "#" character creeps in!
> # and will keep appearing for the remainder of the document.
>
> The last two starting "#" characters are unintentional, they are
> put there automatically by emacs.
>
> (I am using fill-mode, my org-mode is from the git repository,
> and my version of emacs is 23.0.91.1 running in Ubuntu)
>
> Manuel

* Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-07-15  1:14   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-15  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:
> I just tried that in 6.24b with auto-fill-mode, and no problems.

Same here. Maybe it's the "old" emacs development-snappshot?
There where quite some bugs - it's not a release version.

I know I saw that problem...

I use the current emacs CVS version and it's fine.

emacs 23.1.50.1, org-mode 6.24a, Debian testing.

  Sebastian

* Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-07-15  3:45     ` Manuel Amador
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Manuel Amador @ 2009-07-15  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian and Russell,

You are correct. The problem appears after I comment a region in org-mode with:

M-x comment-region <enter> # <enter>

After that, every time auto-fill does its magic, I get a # at the
beginning of each new line.

Manuel

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Sebastian Rose<sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
> Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:
>> I just tried that in 6.24b with auto-fill-mode, and no problems.
>

> Same here. Maybe it's the "old" emacs development-snappshot?
> There where quite some bugs - it's not a release version.
>
> I know I saw that problem...
>
> I use the current emacs CVS version and it's fine.
>

> emacs 23.1.50.1, org-mode 6.24a, Debian testing.
>

>  Sebastian

* Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-07-15  4:52       ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-07-15  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Wow! I can duplicate that!

I did the same, and started typing after a region I had used
comment-region on, and it commented new lines after that during fill.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 08:45:32PM -0700, Manuel Amador wrote:
> Hi Sebastian and Russell,
>
> You are correct. The problem appears after I comment a region in org-mode with:
>
> M-x comment-region <enter> # <enter>
>
> After that, every time auto-fill does its magic, I get a # at the
> beginning of each new line.
>
> Manuel
>

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Sebastian Rose<sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:
> >> I just tried that in 6.24b with auto-fill-mode, and no problems.
> >

> > Same here. Maybe it's the "old" emacs development-snappshot?
> > There where quite some bugs - it's not a release version.
> >
> > I know I saw that problem...
> >
> > I use the current emacs CVS version and it's fine.
> >

> > emacs 23.1.50.1, org-mode 6.24a, Debian testing.
> >

> > ?Sebastian

* Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-07-15  5:06         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-07-15  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As far as I know, I fixed it in the thread whose subject is
"Protecting comment lines from fill-paragraph".

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 21:52, Russell Adams<RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com> wrote:
> Wow! I can duplicate that!
>
> I did the same, and started typing after a region I had used
> comment-region on, and it commented new lines after that during fill.
>

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 08:45:32PM -0700, Manuel Amador wrote:
>> Hi Sebastian and Russell,
>>
>> You are correct. The problem appears after I comment a region in org-mode with:
>>
>> M-x comment-region <enter> # <enter>
>>
>> After that, every time auto-fill does its magic, I get a # at the
>> beginning of each new line.
>>
>> Manuel

>> > Same here. Maybe it's the "old" emacs development-snappshot?
>> > There where quite some bugs - it's not a release version.
>> >
>> > I know I saw that problem...
>> >
>> > I use the current emacs CVS version and it's fine.
>> >

>> > emacs 23.1.50.1, org-mode 6.24a, Debian testing.
>> >

>> > ?Sebastian

> Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
>
> PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>
> Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

Myalgic encephalomyelitis makes you die decades early (Jason
et al. 2006) and suffer severely.  Conflicts of interest are
destroying research.  Silence = death.  Again.
http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

* Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-07-15  5:23           ` Manuel Amador
From: Manuel Amador @ 2009-07-15  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Samuel,

Thanks for replying. The thread that you mentioned however, seems to
be concerned with a different issue.

My issue shows up not just in a line right after a commented line, but
could happen anywhere later in the text. That is, after the
comment-region command is used, every time a new line is automatically
created, it starts with #.

Manuel

@ 2009-07-15  5:26             ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-07-15  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amador; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I do not experience the problem you describe.

Did you try the solution anyway?  If it doesn't work, there are things to try.

@ 2009-07-15 11:15       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-15 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amador; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Manuel Amador <amador.manuel@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi Sebastian and Russell,
>
> You are correct. The problem appears after I comment a region in org-mode with:
>
> M-x comment-region <enter> # <enter>

Ahh - yes. If I comment something with

  M-x comment-region <enter> # <enter>

it happens here, too.

I never did that in Org-mode - I simply add an `#' and that's OK.

To comment a region I do

   C-x r t # RET

as `comment-region' doesn't seem to do the right thing anyway (add the
comment character in line 0) and it's faster to type (in c-mode we have
`C-c C-c' which I use a lot though).

Shouldn't Org-mode provide it's own `comment-region-function'? Or at
least re-define `comment-start' et al?

   Sebastian

* Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-07-15 14:35             ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-15 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amador; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Manuel Amador <amador.manuel@gmail.com> writes:

> I think I have found a bug (or a feature!). Sometimes when
> writing documents I tend to comment out a line by adding a "#"
> in the column 0. However, after doing this in a line at the
> middle of the document, I get the following behavior:

> * Random stuff
>
>   Some initial things.
>
> # Then I comment this line out
>
>   But when I keep writing a sufficiently long line such that
> # the cursor moves to the next line, a "#" character creeps in!
> # and will keep appearing for the remainder of the document.

I cannot duplicate the problem (but only partially). I experienced extra
comment lines inserted only when there was no space between the initial
comment line and the uncommented line, i.e.:

# Then I comment this line out
  But when I keep writing a sufficiently long line such that
# the cursor moves to the next line, a "#" character creeps in!
# and will keep appearing for the remainder of the document.

I did not experience extra comment lines in lines further down the text.

I'm running the latest git org-mode and a recent development emacs --
GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.2) of
2009-07-01 -- on archlinux.

> Samuel,
>
> Thanks for replying. The thread that you mentioned however, seems to
> be concerned with a different issue.
>
> My issue shows up not just in a line right after a commented line, but
> could happen anywhere later in the text. That is, after the
> comment-region command is used, every time a new line is automatically
> created, it starts with #.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/13312

I can confirm that Samuel's advice above offers an interim fix for the
problem I was experiencing (i.e., comment lines added on filled lines
when there was no empty line between the initial commented line and the
subsequent uncommented line --- now that's a mouthful!). I'm not sure
whether the fix addresses the problem of unwanted comment lines father
down in the text (which I could not replicate).

Best,
Matt

* Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-07-15 16:03               ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-07-15 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: amador, emacs-orgmode

If it does not fully solve the problem, make comment-start a local
variable, check fill-prefix, and make sure your load and mode hooks
don't affect filling, or if they do, that they are idempotent.

       (setq comment-empty-lines t)
       (set (make-local-variable 'comment-start) "#")

@ 2009-07-15 16:23                 ` Manuel Amador
From: Manuel Amador @ 2009-07-15 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: amador, Matthew Lundin, emacs-orgmode

Samuel,

Your previous fix does seem to work for me. Thanks!

Manuel

 On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 09:03:44AM -0700, Samuel Wales wrote:
> If it does not fully solve the problem, make comment-start a local
> variable, check fill-prefix, and make sure your load and mode hooks
> don't affect filling, or if they do, that they are idempotent.
>
>        (setq comment-empty-lines t)
>        (set (make-local-variable 'comment-start) "#")
>
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 07:35, Matthew Lundin<mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/13312
>
> --
> Myalgic encephalomyelitis makes you die decades early (Jason
> et al. 2006) and suffer severely.  Conflicts of interest are
> destroying research.  Silence = death.  Again.
> http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

* Re: Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-07-15 17:15               ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-15 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: amador, emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
> Manuel Amador <amador.manuel@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I think I have found a bug (or a feature!). Sometimes when
>> writing documents I tend to comment out a line by adding a "#"
>> in the column 0. However, after doing this in a line at the
>> middle of the document, I get the following behavior:

>> * Random stuff
>>
>>   Some initial things.
>>
>> # Then I comment this line out
>>
>>   But when I keep writing a sufficiently long line such that
>> # the cursor moves to the next line, a "#" character creeps in!
>> # and will keep appearing for the remainder of the document.
>
> I cannot duplicate the problem (but only partially). I experienced extra
> comment lines inserted only when there was no space between the initial
> comment line and the uncommented line, i.e.:
>

> # Then I comment this line out
>   But when I keep writing a sufficiently long line such that
> # the cursor moves to the next line, a "#" character creeps in!
> # and will keep appearing for the remainder of the document.
>
> I did not experience extra comment lines in lines further down the text.

I can reproduce it with `emacs -Q' here (transient-mark-mode is t in
current emacs 23). The trick is to use `comment-region'.

Here's the recipe:

sh$  emacs -Q

  C-x d ~/emacs/lisp/ext/org-mode/lisp RET
  % m \.elc$   RET
  L y
  L y
  L y
  L y
  L y

  ... until files are loaded successfully

  C-x C-f file.org
  M-x auto-fill-mode

To get the error, you must select a region:

   C-SPACE C-n C-n C-n
   M-x comment-region RET # RET

Note here: the indentation is wrong. You might want to correct this,
before going on (comment char not in first column). It doesn't change
the behavior.

Now type some `C-j' more text and see what happens.

The bad thing is, once it started, it never ends. No matter where text
is wrapped, you get the `#' at the start of line.

Also, _no_ comment char is inserted, if add a comment by hand without a
preceding new line. To try this, you'll have to restart emacs -Q

       weoru oeori tueportpoeiurptoeiurtopueoru toeuiroeuir topewrtoeoru
       toeu toe  ewprou oeur poeuiopuwe rteowp ru erwoi uteo t.
     # Asdfsdf - NOW ADD A LOT OF TEXT TO THIS COMMENT ...

  Sebastian

* Re: Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-07-15 17:48                 ` Manuel Amador
From: Manuel Amador @ 2009-07-15 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian,

The proposed fix by Samuel did seem to correct this problem for
me. This is what I added to my .emacs file:

(require 'filladapt)  ;; fixes problems with autofill in orgmode
(if (featurep 'filladapt) (filladapt-mode 1))
(setq filladapt-token-table
  '(
    ;; this must be first
    ("^" beginning-of-line)
    ;; Included text in news or mail replies
    (">+" citation->)
    ;; Included text generated by SUPERCITE.  We can't hope to match all
    ;; the possible variations, your mileage may vary.
    ("\\(\\w\\|[0-9]\\)[^'`\"< \t\n]*>[ \t]*" supercite-citation)
    ;; Lisp comments
    (";+" lisp-comment)
    ;; UNIX shell comments
    ("#+" sh-comment)
    ;; Postscript comments
    ("%+" postscript-comment)
    ;; C++ comments
    ("///*" c++-comment)
    ;; Texinfo comments
    ("@c[ \t]" texinfo-comment)
    ("@comment[ \t]" texinfo-comment)
    ;; Bullet types.
    ;;
    ;; LaTex \item
    ;;
    ("\\\\item[ \t]" bullet)
    ;;
    ;; 1. xxxxx
    ;;    xxxxx
    ;;
    ("^[ 	]+[0-9]+\\.[ \t]" bullet)
    ;;
    ;; 2.1.3  xxxxx xx x xx x
    ;;        xxx
    ;;
    ("^[ 	]+[0-9]+\\(\\.[0-9]+\\)+[ \t]" bullet)
    ;;
    ;; a. xxxxxx xx
    ;;    xxx xxx
    ;;
    ("^[ 	]+[A-Za-z]\\.[ \t]" bullet)
    ;;
    ;; 1) xxxx x xx x xx   or   (1) xx xx x x xx xx
    ;;    xx xx xxxx                xxx xx x x xx x
    ;;
    ("^[ 	]+(?[0-9]+)[ \t]" bullet)
    ;;
    ;; a) xxxx x xx x xx   or   (a) xx xx x x xx xx
    ;;    xx xx xxxx                xxx xx x x xx x
    ;;
    ("^[ 	]+(?[A-Za-z])[ \t]" bullet)
    ;;
    ;; 2a. xx x xxx x x xxx
    ;;     xxx xx x xx x
    ;;
    ("^[ 	]+[0-9]+[A-Za-z]\\.[ \t]" bullet)
    ;;
    ;; 1a) xxxx x xx x xx   or   (1a) xx xx x x xx xx
    ;;     xx xx xxxx                 xxx xx x x xx x
    ;;
    ("^[ 	]+(?[0-9]+[A-Za-z])[ \t]" bullet)
    ;;
    ;; -  xx xxx xxxx   or   *  xx xx x xxx xxx
    ;;    xxx xx xx             x xxx x xx x x x
    ;;
    ("^[ 	]+[-~*+]+[ \t]" bullet)
    ;;
    ;; o  xx xxx xxxx xx x xx xxx x xxx xx x xxx
    ;;    xxx xx xx
    ;;
    ("^[ 	]+o[ \t]" bullet)
    ;; don't touch
    ("[ \t]+" space)
    ("$" end-of-line)
    ))

Manuel

* Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-08-03  4:29       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-03  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amador; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 15, 2009, at 5:45 AM, Manuel Amador wrote:

> Hi Sebastian and Russell,
>
> You are correct. The problem appears after I comment a region in org-
> mode with:
>
> M-x comment-region <enter> # <enter>
>
> After that, every time auto-fill does its magic, I get a # at the
> beginning of each new line.

Yes.  Running this command sets the variable comment-start, which
then breaks automatic filling.  I have never understood why, it would
be nice to fix this problem, but I don't know how.

Samuel's solution to use filladapt might work, but it replaces much
of Org's wrapping code with something else - which I don't really want.

- Carsten

> Manuel
>

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Sebastian
> Rose<sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:
>>> I just tried that in 6.24b with auto-fill-mode, and no problems.
>>

>> Same here. Maybe it's the "old" emacs development-snappshot?
>> There where quite some bugs - it's not a release version.
>>
>> I know I saw that problem...
>>
>> I use the current emacs CVS version and it's fine.
>>

>> emacs 23.1.50.1, org-mode 6.24a, Debian testing.
>>

>>  Sebastian

* Re: Comments in Org-mode
@ 2009-08-03 22:43         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-08-03 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: amador, emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

On 2009-08-02, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes.  Running this command sets the variable comment-start, which
> then breaks automatic filling.  I have never understood why, it would
> be nice to fix this problem, but I don't know how.

It works for me.  However, I don't know if the fix was my changes to
filladapt or the fact that I set comment-start to be buffer-local.
See my posts earlier in this thread.

> Samuel's solution to use filladapt might work, but it replaces much
> of Org's wrapping code with something else - which I don't really want.

It does work for me, for what it's worth :).  But perhaps suitable for contrib.