* org-feed broken?
@ 2009-05-13 15:17 John Rakestraw
From: John Rakestraw @ 2009-05-13 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode Org-Mode

Hi --

Emacs 22.3.1
Org-mode latest fetch from git repository

Several weeks ago I tested org-feed.el. I suppose I could be losing
my mind, but I'm quite sure I had it working. I'm only now getting
around to integrating the use of reQall into my regular practice, and
I've discovered that the attempt to update the feed yields the error
message "invalid function: ignore-errors".

C-h v indeed indicates that "ignore-errors" is not defined.

ignore-errors is called three times in org-feed.el (lines 317, 558, and
562). Each of the lines is identical:

  (ignore-errors (kill-buffer feed-buffer))

If I comment out these lines, then the rss feed from reQall is
downloaded successfully.

I don't know lisp (or any programming language). Can someone give me an
idea whether I'm running any risk of data loss by running org-feed.el
without these calls?

And am I correct in assuming that ignore-errors is a function
introduced in emacs 23? If so, can I get the definition and install it
in my .emacs configuration as a holdover until I upgrade to emacs 23?

Thanks.

--
John Rakestraw

* Re: org-feed broken?
@ 2009-05-13 15:51 ` Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2009-05-13 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Rakestraw <lists@johnrakestraw.com> writes:

[...]

> I don't know lisp (or any programming language). Can someone give me an
> idea whether I'm running any risk of data loss by running org-feed.el
> without these calls?

Not really.  org-feed will 'leak' memory each time you run
org-feed-update (the buffers with feed data will never be removed), but
that shouldn't add up to great amounts.  (Especially if you regularly
restart Emacs.)

> And am I correct in assuming that ignore-errors is a function
> introduced in emacs 23? If so, can I get the definition and install it
> in my .emacs configuration as a holdover until I upgrade to emacs 23?

Half correct.  Prior to Emacs 23, ignore-errors was defined in the cl
package, which isn't loaded by default; in Emacs 23, it is in subr.el,
which _is_ loaded by default.

Adding:

(eval-when-compile (require 'cl))

at the top of org-feed.el is the traditional way of loading it.

Magnus

* Re: org-feed broken?
@ 2009-05-13 16:06 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-13 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Rakestraw; +Cc: org-mode Org-Mode

It seems that in Emacs 22, ignore-errors is defined in cl-macs.el, in
Emacs 23 it has moved to subr.el.

Try adding

(eval-when-compile
   (require 'cl)
   (require 'cl-macs))

early on in org-feed.el, does that help?

- Carsten

On May 13, 2009, at 5:17 PM, John Rakestraw wrote:

> Hi --
>
> Emacs 22.3.1
> Org-mode latest fetch from git repository
>
> Several weeks ago I tested org-feed.el. I suppose I could be losing
> my mind, but I'm quite sure I had it working. I'm only now getting
> around to integrating the use of reQall into my regular practice, and
> I've discovered that the attempt to update the feed yields the error
> message "invalid function: ignore-errors".
>
> C-h v indeed indicates that "ignore-errors" is not defined.
>
> ignore-errors is called three times in org-feed.el (lines 317, 558,
> and
> 562). Each of the lines is identical:
>
>  (ignore-errors (kill-buffer feed-buffer))
>
> If I comment out these lines, then the rss feed from reQall is
> downloaded successfully.
>
> I don't know lisp (or any programming language). Can someone give me
> an
> idea whether I'm running any risk of data loss by running org-feed.el
> without these calls?
>
> And am I correct in assuming that ignore-errors is a function
> introduced in emacs 23? If so, can I get the definition and install it
> in my .emacs configuration as a holdover until I upgrade to emacs 23?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> John Rakestraw

* Re: org-feed broken?
@ 2009-05-13 17:49   ` John Rakestraw
From: John Rakestraw @ 2009-05-13 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode Org-Mode

Thanks to Carsten and Magus for prompt replies.

> It seems that in Emacs 22, ignore-errors is defined in cl-macs.el,
> in Emacs 23 it has moved to subr.el.
>
> Try adding
>
> (eval-when-compile
>    (require 'cl)
>    (require 'cl-macs))
>
> early on in org-feed.el, does that help?

Adding the above lines to org-feed.el yields the following error
message when I run "make":

   Error: Required feature 'cl-macs' was not provided

Shortening the additional code to this:

   (eval-when-compile (require 'cl))

as Magnus suggested, seems to work.

Thanks.