* Links to tomboy notes in org files
@ 2009-05-08 22:15 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-05-08 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello list,

Well, first, once again (I don't get tired of doing this) let me
congratulate the org developer for such an awesome piece of software!

I use org to implement GTD, and most of my list management lies in
emacs+org. However, for reference material and notes (that are reference in
nature) I use tomboy. I have two inboxes: Remember and Tomboy.
When I feel the data is amorphous (I'm not sure yet what it means) I just
dump it in inbox.org through Remember to then process -- it may turn out to
be reference material and may go to tomboy. However,
if it's a note, blog post draft, or any other data that is is bigger in
nature and has a reference and that will probably not be accessed that
often, I dump into tomboy.

I have a main gtd.org file and in its top I have a list of other org files
that I have, for example:
 * Workout plan - [[workout.org]]
 * Nutrition - [[nutrition.org]]

What I would like to do is create a link to a tomboy note. I'm sure it would
be possible somehow, but I have no idea how though. Something like:

 * Check out Blog post draft [[tomboy:"my draft"]]

And C-u C-o on it would open this tomboy note in tomboy.

Any ideas on how this could be implemented?

Thanks!

Marcelo.

* Re: Links to tomboy notes in org files
@ 2009-05-09  6:59 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-09  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 9, 2009, at 12:15 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Well, first, once again (I don't get tired of doing this) let me
> congratulate the org developer for such an awesome piece of software!
>
> I use org to implement GTD, and most of my list management lies in
> emacs+org. However, for reference material and notes (that are
> reference in nature) I use tomboy. I have two inboxes: Remember and
> Tomboy.
> When I feel the data is amorphous (I'm not sure yet what it means) I
> just dump it in inbox.org through Remember to then process -- it may
> turn out to be reference material and may go to tomboy. However,
> if it's a note, blog post draft, or any other data that is is bigger
> in nature and has a reference and that will probably not be accessed
> that often, I dump into tomboy.
>
> I have a main gtd.org file and in its top I have a list of other org
> files that I have, for example:
>  * Workout plan - [[workout.org]]
>  * Nutrition - [[nutrition.org]]
>
> What I would like to do is create a link to a tomboy note. I'm sure
> it would be possible somehow, but I have no idea how though.
> Something like:
>
>  * Check out Blog post draft [[tomboy:"my draft"]]
>
> And C-u C-o on it would open this tomboy note in tomboy.
>
> Any ideas on how this could be implemented?

Is there a command line command that will fire up tomboy and display a
specific note?  The this could be easily done.

- Carsten

* Re: Links to tomboy notes in org files
@ 2009-05-10 12:33   ` djcb.bulk
From: djcb.bulk @ 2009-05-10 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 08:59:16AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

>> I have a main gtd.org file and in its top I have a list of other org
>> files that I have, for example:
>>  * Workout plan - [[workout.org]]
>>  * Nutrition - [[nutrition.org]]
>>
>> What I would like to do is create a link to a tomboy note. I'm sure it
>> would be possible somehow, but I have no idea how though. Something
>> like:
>>
>>  * Check out Blog post draft [[tomboy:"my draft"]]
>>
>> And C-u C-o on it would open this tomboy note in tomboy.
>>
>> Any ideas on how this could be implemented?
>
> Is there a command line command that will fire up tomboy and display a
> specific note?  The this could be easily done.

$ tomboy --open-note 'MyNote'

Alternatively, at least in Emacs 23+, one can use Tomboy's D-BUS API,
which offers some ways for deeper integration with Emace:
http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/01/using-d-bus-example.html

Best wishes,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

* Re: Links to tomboy notes in org files
@ 2009-05-10 12:53     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-10 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: djcb; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 10, 2009, at 2:33 PM, djcb.bulk@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 08:59:16AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>>> I have a main gtd.org file and in its top I have a list of other org
>>> files that I have, for example:
>>> * Workout plan - [[workout.org]]
>>> * Nutrition - [[nutrition.org]]
>>>
>>> What I would like to do is create a link to a tomboy note. I'm
>>> sure it
>>> would be possible somehow, but I have no idea how though. Something
>>> like:
>>>
>>> * Check out Blog post draft [[tomboy:"my draft"]]
>>>
>>> And C-u C-o on it would open this tomboy note in tomboy.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how this could be implemented?
>>
>> Is there a command line command that will fire up tomboy and
>> display a
>> specific note?  The this could be easily done.
>
> $ tomboy --open-note 'MyNote'

Something like the following (untested...)

(require 'org)
(org-add-link-type "tomboy" 'org-tomboy-open)

(defun org-tomboy-open (note)
   (let ((outbuf (get-buffer-create "*Org Shell Output*"))
	(cmd (concat "tomboy --open-note " (shell-quote-argument note) " &")))
     (with-current-buffer outbuf (erase-buffer))
     (shell-command cmd outbuf outbuf)))

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: Links to tomboy notes in org files
@ 2009-05-10 17:01       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-05-10 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: djcb@djcbsoftware.nl, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> > $ tomboy --open-note 'MyNote'
>
> Something like the following (untested...)
>
> (require 'org)
> (org-add-link-type "tomboy" 'org-tomboy-open)
>
> (defun org-tomboy-open (note)
>    (let ((outbuf (get-buffer-create "*Org Shell Output*"))
> 	(cmd (concat "tomboy --open-note " (shell-quote-argument note) " &")))
>      (with-current-buffer outbuf (erase-buffer))
>      (shell-command cmd outbuf outbuf)))

I ran a very simple test and this worked very nicely. The only caution for
the original poster is that if the title of the note contains spaces,
the link has to look like this:

[[tomboy:my%20draft][draft]]

not like this:

C-c C-l will encode spaces properly, but don't enter quotes (unless
your tomboy note really includes quotes in the title).

HTH,
Nick