Hello everyone, while using orgmode to organize data that is strongly bound to files and directories, I came to the point where in addition to linking from the orgfile to the target file/directory I longed to have it the other way round, i.e. getting information about the files/directories from the orgfile while browsing the filesystem. That led to the following idea: Orgmodes folding and linking capabilities are easily combined to make rudimentary but comfortable file system browsing: * [[file:test/dirA][dirA]] ** [[file:test/dirA/subdirA][subdirA]] *** [[file:test/dirA/subdirA/some_file][some_file]] ** [[file:test/dirA/another_file][another_file]] * [[file:test/dirB][dirB]] Attached is a bash-script that generates this representation from a given subtree of the filesystem as a proof of concept. For each file/directory displayed search for any link to it in a given orgfile and - provide links back to these occurrences and/or - display the tags and associated content (read-only). The obvious weakness inherited from linking itself is synchronization on directory structure changes. A possible solution would be to store ids as hidden files for each directory or even for each file that is referred to. Does anybody else see the benefits of such a mode? Andreas