* FR: Define Latex macros from export header
@ 2009-02-15  6:59 Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-02-15  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think this one should be very easy!

For each option in the export template at the head of the file, could
we export them for use in Latex?

For example:
#+AUTHOR:    Russell Adams

becomes

\def\ORG_AUTHOR{Russell Adams}

in the header of the Latex output?

I'm finding myself redefining these macros, especially when I'm using
a custom maketitle.

Thanks.

* Re: FR: Define Latex macros from export header
@ 2009-02-19 19:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-19 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Russel,

can you come up with a complete list of macros you'd like
to have defined?  Right now you are leaving the guesswork to me.

- Carsten

@ 2009-02-19 20:02   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-02-19 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten,

I was thinking of just exporting all key/value pairs in the header with
an org prefix (no - or _ or /, ie: "orgAUTHOR").

We don't need to pick any specific ones. The only one that we have to
worry about is properly quoting the OPTIONS line.

FYI I love the LATEX_HEADER line, I've done away with the latex
classes entirely in some recent documents. Its not in the manual yet
though.

Thanks.

@ 2009-02-20 10:05     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-20 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Russell Adams wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> I was thinking of just exporting all key/value pairs in the header
> with
> an org prefix (no - or _ or /, ie: "orgAUTHOR").

OK, try

(setq org-export-latex-import-inbuffer-stuff t)

> We don't need to pick any specific ones. The only one that we have to
> worry about is properly quoting the OPTIONS line.

I am not sure if there is anything to worry about.
If you want to use the content of that line, yes,
but that seems unlikely.

> FYI I love the LATEX_HEADER line, I've done away with the latex
> classes entirely in some recent documents. Its not in the manual yet
> though.

Thanks, they are now documented, but will reach the manual
on the web only with the next release.

- Carsten

@ 2009-02-20 16:33       ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-02-20 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:05:03AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Russell Adams wrote:
>
>> Carsten,
>>
>> I was thinking of just exporting all key/value pairs in the header
>> with
>> an org prefix (no - or _ or /, ie: "orgAUTHOR").
>
> OK, try
>
> (setq org-export-latex-import-inbuffer-stuff t)

That worked, the only point I may make would be to exclude
LATEX_HEADER and TEXT from that list.

I'm also trying to resolve an ordering issue. I want to have a
header/footer line declared in the header, but I want to use these
orgTITLE macros in that. Currently LATEX_HEADER and the class go first
before the definitions, and TEXT occurs inside the document. If the
macro isn't defined before the header/footer, you get an error.

I may have to manually code those, which defeats the purpose of using
the org options.

Suggestions?

* Re: FR: Define Latex macros from export header
@ 2009-02-21 13:03         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-21 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 20, 2009, at 5:33 PM, Russell Adams wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:05:03AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Russell Adams wrote:
>>
>>> Carsten,
>>>
>>> I was thinking of just exporting all key/value pairs in the header
>>> with
>>> an org prefix (no - or _ or /, ie: "orgAUTHOR").
>>
>> OK, try
>>
>> (setq org-export-latex-import-inbuffer-stuff t)
>
> That worked, the only point I may make would be to exclude
> LATEX_HEADER and TEXT from that list.

OK, done.  I think it would even make sense to remove OPTIONS,
I cannot see how you would use this, would you?

> I'm also trying to resolve an ordering issue. I want to have a
> header/footer line declared in the header, but I want to use these
> orgTITLE macros in that. Currently LATEX_HEADER and the class go first
> before the definitions, and TEXT occurs inside the document. If the
> macro isn't defined before the header/footer, you get an error.
>
> I may have to manually code those, which defeats the purpose of using
> the org options.

I have switched this around, these definitions now com right
after the \usepackage macros, before the custom header stuff.

- Carsten

* Re: FR: Define Latex macros from export header
@ 2009-02-21 14:28           ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-02-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 02:03:54PM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

>> That worked, the only point I may make would be to exclude
>> LATEX_HEADER and TEXT from that list.
>
> OK, done.  I think it would even make sense to remove OPTIONS,
> I cannot see how you would use this, would you?

I don't see that options would be terribly useful, but it doesn't
conflict. Perhaps someone else would think of a use.

>> I'm also trying to resolve an ordering issue. I want to have a
>> header/footer line declared in the header, but I want to use these
>> orgTITLE macros in that. Currently LATEX_HEADER and the class go first
>> before the definitions, and TEXT occurs inside the document. If the
>> macro isn't defined before the header/footer, you get an error.
>>
>> I may have to manually code those, which defeats the purpose of using
>> the org options.
>
> I have switched this around, these definitions now com right
> after the \usepackage macros, before the custom header stuff.

I'll give that a whirl next.

The file I was testing on had a unique arrangement, where I have a
latex class called 'none' defined, which is exactly that, empty.

Then the document start and packages were all in LATEX_HEADER lines,
which worked very well.

Thanks.

* Re: Latex features
@ 2009-02-22 18:26             ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-02-22 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Related to the latest Latex features, I've discovered that if I have a
saved document without changes and I initiate a Latex export that the
document now shows changed and asks to be saved if I quit. Undo and
friends don't show me that anything in the file actually changed, just
the status.

6.05 didn't do this, so its recent.

Any ideas?

* Re: Re: Latex features
@ 2009-02-22 19:51               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-22 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Fixed, thanks!

- Carsten

@ 2009-02-23  0:06             ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-02-23  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 08:28:13AM -0600, Russell Adams wrote:
> >> I'm also trying to resolve an ordering issue. I want to have a
> >> header/footer line declared in the header, but I want to use these
> >> orgTITLE macros in that. Currently LATEX_HEADER and the class go first
> >> before the definitions, and TEXT occurs inside the document. If the
> >> macro isn't defined before the header/footer, you get an error.
> >>
> >> I may have to manually code those, which defeats the purpose of using
> >> the org options.

I think I got it! The issue here is that we're trying to define a
_Latex_ macro with the export options, and THAT is where the
resolution order becomes an issue.

Could we create some org-export macros that will be translated inline?
That way the header data would be replaced in the body of all export
types (ascii, html, & latex)? No more need to define latex macros.

------- Example ------------

#+TITLE: This is a title
Welcome to %%orgTITLE%%.

after export:

Welcome to This is a title.

----------------------------

This resolves the ordering issue and lets the metadata be used in the
document, which is the original purpose.

The syntax would require some consideration, but anything fairly
obtuse that wouldn't be confused for a code sample would work. I like
"closing" formats and would prefer multiple symbols be involved to
minimize the chance of a collision. We'd likely need a OPTION for
whether or not to honor these.

Suggested formats:

 - %%orgVAR%%
 - (-:orgVAR:-) (credit to johnw for "Entranced by Smileys Format")
 - !~orgVAR~!

I need to learn lisp so I can start helping with these. :P

@ 2009-02-26 20:19               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-26 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Russel,

you can now write {{{TITLE}}} and {{{EMAIL}}} etc to get these
interpolated.
More generally, you can write

#+MACRO: name value of the macro

and then write {{{name}}} to get the value interpolated.

- Carsten

@ 2009-02-26 21:26                 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-02-26 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode