* footnote questions
@ 2009-01-24  5:38 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-01-24  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Minor questions:

Is there a way to have footnotes that have more than one paragraph?
For me, they are not recognized as footnotes.

Also, is there a way to make footnote references work when they start
in column 0?  Reformatting a paragraph sometimes puts them there for
me.

Latest org release with (setf org-footnote-section nil).

Thanks.

--
For personal and corporate gain, myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists
are knowingly causing massive suffering and 25-years-early death by

* Re: footnote questions
@ 2009-01-24 11:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-24 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 24, 2009, at 6:38 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Minor questions:
>
> Is there a way to have footnotes that have more than one paragraph?
> For me, they are not recognized as footnotes.

Yes, Footnotes in Org are single paragraph.  Maybe this could be
changed, if enough people claim they need this.  I never have the
need for this, and new lines can be made with "\\" at the end of
a line.

> Also, is there a way to make footnote references work when they start
> in column 0?  Reformatting a paragraph sometimes puts them there for
> me.

The solution for this is to make footnote references stick to
the word before them.  This also gives much better results in
HTML and LaTeX export.  I would have liked to even enforce this
convention, but that would have been incompatible with
the old footnote.el behavior.

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-24 23:55   ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-01-24 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I also would make good use of multi-paragraph footnotes.  Since I my final
work is exported to LaTeX, I could insert a LaTeX footnote when needed if
support for multi-paragraph footnotes in org proves too difficult to add.

Scot

@ 2009-01-25  7:23     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-25  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 25, 2009, at 12:55 AM, Scot Becker wrote:

> I also would make good use of multi-paragraph footnotes.  Since I my
> final work is exported to LaTeX, I could insert a LaTeX footnote
> when needed if support for multi-paragraph footnotes in org proves
> too difficult to add.

For LaTeX export, you can simply write \par to create
a new paragraph inside a footnote.

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-25  7:46 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-25  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 24, 2009, at 6:38 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Minor questions:
>
> Is there a way to have footnotes that have more than one paragraph?
> For me, they are not recognized as footnotes.

How would I format a multi-paragraph footnote in HTML?

Right now we have:

(div id="footnotes">
<h2 class="footnotes">Footnotes: </h2>
Footnote text here

I guess if someone had CSS to style footnote paragraphs specially,
inserting </p><p> somewhere inside the footnote text would
not do the right thing.....

Sebastian, do you have an idea here?

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-25 17:58   ` Mike Newman
From: Mike Newman @ 2009-01-25 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I suggest that each footnote is placed in a <div> with class footnote,
with all footnotes nested inside a <div> with class footnotes.

--
Mike

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 08:46:02 +0100

@ 2009-01-26  5:26       ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-01-26  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> For LaTeX export, you can simply write \par to create
> a new paragraph inside a footnote.

Super.

Scot

* Re: footnote questions
@ 2009-01-27 14:11     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-27 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Newman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

For now, \par in a footnote is translated into starting a new line.
For me this is good enough, unless people give good reasons why not.
I can see that wrapping each footnote into an extra div could make
sense,
but so far I don't know anybody who wants to make use of this
extra structure element.

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-31  5:37   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-01-31  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

\\ would work OK for me, but perhaps there is a solution even without
it.  Useful because \\ does not fill correctly, in my filladapt setup,
at least.

I am likely to use footnotes in one of 2 ways: the document is the
body of a single entry, in which case I want footnotes at the end of
that, or the document is the whole org file.

I tried the former, and it of course does not insert "Footnotes:".
However, if it did, perhaps it would be easier to code having more
than one paragraph.

This is, for me, not a big issue at all.  Just a suggestion that might work.

By the way, I found that sorting footnotes had the effect of not
sorting them fully (at least when there is one foothnote that was
deleted; have not narrowed down) and also moving footnotes in other
parts of the org file.  When I am using footnotes in one part of an
org file, I would want other parts not to be affected.

So perhaps a variable can control this behavior.  Perhaps by
unoverloading org-footnote-section?

Again not a huge issue, just a suggestion.

Thanks for the tips.

* Re: footnote questions
@ 2009-01-31 16:38     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-31 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 31, 2009, at 6:37 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> \\ would work OK for me, but perhaps there is a solution even without
> it.  Useful because \\ does not fill correctly, in my filladapt setup,
> at least.

Hi Samuel,

maybe you missed this in a different message:  The best is to
use "\par", this will also work when filling puts it into the middle
of a line.

> I am likely to use footnotes in one of 2 ways: the document is the
> body of a single entry, in which case I want footnotes at the end of
> that, or the document is the whole org file.
>
> I tried the former, and it of course does not insert "Footnotes:".
> However, if it did, perhaps it would be easier to code having more
> than one paragraph.
>
> This is, for me, not a big issue at all.  Just a suggestion that
> might work.
>
> By the way, I found that sorting footnotes had the effect of not
> sorting them fully (at least when there is one foothnote that was
> deleted; have not narrowed down) and also moving footnotes in other
> parts of the org file.  When I am using footnotes in one part of an
> org file, I would want other parts not to be affected.
>
> So perhaps a variable can control this behavior.  Perhaps by
> unoverloading org-footnote-section?

Can you create an example to illustrate the problem?

- Carsten

* Re: footnote questions
@ 2009-02-01  2:26       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-02-01  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 09:38, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Can you create an example to illustrate the problem?

This test case illustrates some issues with footnotes (apparent bugs,
things to watch out for when making future changes, and desirable
features that Carsten might or might not want to implement).  To test,
place on "hmm" and c-u c-c c-c s.

  1) loses text, deleting it altogether (document 2).
  2) tiny inconsistency: when org-return-follows-link is
     true, RET on definition takes you to ref, but places
     point so that RET again does not get you back.
     (possibly intended behavior.)
  3) does not ignore comments when linting (org inserts
     error).
  4) sort order is wrong if you do take comments into
     account.
  5) moves comments (document 2)
  6) does not keep separate documents separate
     (org-footnote-section is nil because we want them
     separate)
     - moves definitions from one part of outline tree to
       another (note move from document 3).  this is the most
       disconcerting, and feels to me like a bug.  perhaps
       the intent was for all org files to be considered to
       be documents.
     - this variable should perhaps be un-overloaded to allow
       a footnotes section per node.
     - perhaps then the paragraph problem can be easily
       solved as a side-effect
  7) does not renumber numbered references for the author's
     sake (fn:6 before fn:3 in source)
  8) does not renumber for ascii output (fn:1 was deleted but
     is not replaced in ascii output)
  9) does not replace \par with a blank line in ascii output
  10) does not let the author separate paragraphs in defs and
      refill without the paragraphs being merged for the
      author (i.e. blank lines would be nice)
  11) requires attachment to word to avoid refilling causing
      it to seem like a definition (fn:5) -- this one is
      possibly fixed!  Mentioning just in case it is not.

Hope I didn't introduce any rtfm bugs here.  Also hope gmail didn't
introduce transport bugs.  These are not major issues for me
personally.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

* top
*** another completely separate document -- 3
[1] hi, i am in document 3
\par
this is another paragraph, but you can't
refill it because the author will see it merged.  i'm told
the exported text will be ok.  but it is not.
\\
another way suggested earlier, same result.  exported text
is ok.

dear mr. brown:

oh, here's a footnote def without a ref that i wanted to
keep around:
*** a document -- 1
dear mr. smith:

fn:1 has been deleted

#[fn:2]this is a comment of a previous footnote definition.
#(author deleted ref)

sadfkjn k jthis n klsjan skdljfn akljsdn fklajnsdfklajns
[fn:5]

this[fn:6] is a test[fn:3] of footnote sorting.  recursive
definitions seem to work, so not testing them here.

[fn:3] hmm

[fn:6] after a bunch of deletions, i got here

[fn:5] is something that might be filled to be on the first
column if not attached to a word
*** a completely separate document -- 2
dear mr. jones:

#[3] text.

with manual footnotes[1].

this does, sometimes, happen[2]

[1] not out of order
\par
#[1] text.  here is a comment on this
#footnote.  this gets deleted when sorting.  that feels like
#a bug, even if it isn't.

#here is a comment, placed by an unsuspecting user who
#doesn't know the rules[5].  it gets moved upon sorting.
#arguably, the user should be more careful.  (though
#blank-separated paragraphs would be better if possible.)

#and an even more intransigent user[6].  it gets moved also.
[2] more