* LaTeX export gives extra lines between table of contents and first section
@ 2008-10-03  1:04 Hsiu-Khuern Tang
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2008-10-03  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm new to Org-Mode, and I'm getting to like it a lot!

I am running Org 6.07b.  I have this simple Org file:

* top level

** second level
   test

If I run M-x org-export-region-as-latex, I get this output:

% Created 2008-10-02 Thu 17:58
\documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\title{* top level}
\author{Tang Hsiu Khuern}
\date{02 October 2008}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents

** second level
   test
\section{second level}

   test

\end{document}

As you can see, there are extra lines between \tableofcontents and \section,
which I think shouldn't be there.  If I select the whole file as the region and
run M-x org-export-region-as-latex, the extra lines get _duplicated_:

\tableofcontents

** second level
   test

** second level
   test
\section{second level}

Best,
Hsiu-Khuern.

* Re: LaTeX export gives extra lines between table of contents and first section
@ 2008-10-03 18:13 ` Hsiu-Khuern Tang
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2008-10-03 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* On Fri 01:04AM +0000, 03 Oct 2008, Tang, Hsiu-Khuern (hsiu-khuern.tang@hp.com) wrote:
> I'm new to Org-Mode, and I'm getting to like it a lot!
>
> I am running Org 6.07b.  I have this simple Org file:

> * top level
>
> ** second level
>    test
>
> If I run M-x org-export-region-as-latex, I get this output:

Sorry, I meant M-x org-export-as-latex here.  I've narrowed this down to
the following behavior: with the above input file, the exported LaTeX is:

% standard preamble

\title{* top level}
\author{Tang Hsiu Khuern}
\date{03 October 2008}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents

** second level
   test
\section{second level}

   test

\end{document}

Here, the first heading is used for the title, as documented in "12.7.1
LaTeX export command".  (That description is perhaps inaccurate, since
it suggests that this only happens if there is an active region.)

If I suppress this by add the option #+TITLE: my title, I get this
output, without the extra lines:

% standard preamble

\title{my title}
\author{Tang Hsiu Khuern}
\date{03 October 2008}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents

\section{top level}

\subsection{second level}

   test

\end{document}

I also get output without extra lines if, instead of setting #+TITLE
explicitly, I give a dummy heading to be used as the title:
* my title

* something else

** second level
   test
> * top level
>
> ** second level
>    test

So it seems like something undesirable happens when org-export-as-latex
needs to use the heading name as the title, _and_ the next section is a
subheading.

--

@ 2008-10-10 21:13 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-10 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hsiu-Khuern Tang; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Hsiu,

looks like there is a bug in the LaTeX exporter when
the very first line of the file is already a headline.
I do not right now see an easy way to fix this, and Bastien
does not seem to have time.  So for the time being,
just leave the first line of a file empty - that should
help.

- Carsten

@ 2008-10-13 22:26   ` Hsiu-Khuern Tang
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2008-10-13 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

* On Fri 09:13PM +0000, 10 Oct 2008, Carsten Dominik (dominik@science.uva.nl) wrote:
> Hi Hsiu,
>
> looks like there is a bug in the LaTeX exporter when
> the very first line of the file is already a headline.
> I do not right now see an easy way to fix this, and Bastien
> does not seem to have time.  So for the time being,
> just leave the first line of a file empty - that should
> help.
>
> - Carsten

Yes, that works!  Thank you for looking into this and for providing this
simple workaround.  This is much better than what I am currently doing:
introducing a dummy headline to be used as a title.

--
Best,
Hsiu-Khuern.