* feature request: additional org/remember template escapes:
@ 2007-09-01  4:32 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-09-01  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been using org with remember as my "Web Notebook" for the
last 18 months.

I browse exclusively from Emacs as an emacspeak user (w3 and W3M)
and this is an incredibly useful thing to have.

The one thing that prevents me from completely satisfied is the
set of available template escapes --
based on what  is possible, entries end up looking like:

** [[URL]] note

where "note" is what I typed in the remember buffer.

Ideally I'd like the above to be :

** [[URL][Note]]

or even better, have the entry go in as a bullet rather than a
section header.

Finally, I have never understood what the "inserted at level n
shifted by m" message means, could we come up with better
wording? I feel uneasy criticizing without a better suggestion,
but I dont understand what it means fully, and am consequently
reluctant to hazard at a better phrase.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: feature request: additional org/remember template escapes:
@ 2007-09-03 16:06 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-03 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 1, 2007, at 6:32, T. V. Raman wrote:

> I've been using org with remember as my "Web Notebook" for the
> last 18 months.
>
> I browse exclusively from Emacs as an emacspeak user (w3 and W3M)
> and this is an incredibly useful thing to have.
>
> The one thing that prevents me from completely satisfied is the
> set of available template escapes --
> based on what  is possible, entries end up looking like:
>
> ** [[URL]] note
>
> where "note" is what I typed in the remember buffer.
>
> Ideally I'd like the above to be :
>
> ** [[URL][Note]]

Starting with 5.08, you will be able to use %A in the template.
It will insert the link, but explicitly prompt you for
the link description.

> or even better, have the entry go in as a bullet rather than a
> section header.

This is hard, because the whole note insertion of remember notes
is based on the outline structure.  No action for now.

> Finally, I have never understood what the "inserted at level n
> shifted by m" message means, could we come up with better
> wording? I feel uneasy criticizing without a better suggestion,
> but I dont understand what it means fully, and am consequently
> reluctant to hazard at a better phrase.

A remember note is an outline entry, i.e. it has a first line
with one or many stars.  Notes are inserted into the existing
outline structure using the command org-paste-subtree.
The command is clever about adjusting the outline level of the
inserted subtree, so that it correctly fits into the local
hierarchy.  And to make sure the user understands what just happened,
it tells the user what the new outline level of the inserted item is,
if it hat to be shifted (i.e. promoted or demoted but removing or
adding stars) to get there.  At the time of implementation
this was more of a debugging feedback than anything else.

I guess this is reasonably useful feedback when using the pasting
commands explicitly, in an interactive way.  We could turn
off the message in non-interactive use like this (during remember
filing note storing).

For interactive use, how about the simpler:

"Clipboard pasted as level N subtree"

Would that be clearer?

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

* Re: feature request: additional org/remember template escapes:
@ 2007-09-03 18:13   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-09-03 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: raman, emacs-orgmode

Yes,  your suggested replacement for the message would be
clearer.
And thanks for the new template, org/remember is an amazing piece
of work.

@ 2007-09-04  1:00   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-04  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, raman

Hi,

   > ** [[URL]] note
   >
   > where "note" is what I typed in the remember buffer.
   >
   > Ideally I'd like the above to be :
   >
   > ** [[URL][Note]]

   Starting with 5.08, you will be able to use %A in the template.
   It will insert the link, but explicitly prompt you for
   the link description.

Maybe I have not understood the problem, but what is the
difference with me, doing an explicit C-c C-l ?

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: feature request: additional org/remember template escapes:
@ 2007-09-04  5:37     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-04  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Xavier,

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

>    Starting with 5.08, you will be able to use %A in the template.
>    It will insert the link, but explicitly prompt you for
>    the link description.
>
> Maybe I have not understood the problem, but what is the
> difference with me, doing an explicit C-c C-l ?

Well, the discussion was about remember templates, not direct
interactive link insertion.

See (info "(Org)Remember templates") :

(setq org-remember-templates
  '((?t "* TODO %?\n  %i\n  %a" "~/org/TODO.org")
    (?j "* %U %?\n\n  %i\n  %a" "~/org/JOURNAL.org")
    (?i "* %^{Title}\n  %i\n  %a" "~/org/JOURNAL.org" "New Ideas")))

The `%a' refers to an "annotation, normally the link created with
`org-store-link'". The proposed solution is to make this insertion
interactive by prompting for the link description.

Hope it's clearer now!

--
Bastien

* Re: feature request: additional org/remember template escapes:
@ 2007-09-04  6:51     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-04  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, raman

On Sep 4, 2007, at 3:00, Xavier Maillard wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> ** [[URL]] note
>>
>> where "note" is what I typed in the remember buffer.
>>
>> Ideally I'd like the above to be :
>>
>> ** [[URL][Note]]
>>

>    Starting with 5.08, you will be able to use %A in the template.
>    It will insert the link, but explicitly prompt you for
>    the link description.
>
> Maybe I have not understood the problem, but what is the
> difference with me, doing an explicit C-c C-l ?

This is for using remember with a template.  %a will be replaced
by a link to the location from where you called remember.
In contrast to C-c C-l, this will not allow you to set/modify
the link description.

- Carsten

* Re: feature request: additional org/remember template escapes:
@ 2007-09-05  1:00       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-05  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

   See (info "(Org)Remember templates") :

<snip>

   The `%a' refers to an "annotation, normally the link created with
   `org-store-link'". The proposed solution is to make this insertion
   interactive by prompting for the link description.

   Hope it's clearer now!

Crystal clear ! Thank you. Now I understand it correctly, I can
see the benefit to have this spec.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-05  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, raman

Hi Carsten,

   >> ** [[URL]] note
   >>
   >> where "note" is what I typed in the remember buffer.
   >>
   >> Ideally I'd like the above to be :
   >>
   >> ** [[URL][Note]]
   >
   >    Starting with 5.08, you will be able to use %A in the template.
   >    It will insert the link, but explicitly prompt you for
   >    the link description.
   >
   > Maybe I have not understood the problem, but what is the
   > difference with me, doing an explicit C-c C-l ?

   This is for using remember with a template.  %a will be replaced
   by a link to the location from where you called remember.

It is already the case, isn't it ? I am using it in my own
templates here for days (weeks ?). Are %a and %A the same ?

   In contrast to C-c C-l, this will not allow you to set/modify
   the link description.

Ok.

Sorry to bother.

	Xavier