* maybe Offtopic: Emacs + Org + ?? to read Email (IMAP) on Win2K
@ 2006-05-19 19:46 Philipp Raschdorff
From: Philipp Raschdorff @ 2006-05-19 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I've read this list from the beginning and I'm amazed how fast org-mode
is evolving - thanks!

I hope my question maybe offtopic :-o

I would like to use Emacs to read my Emails, since a lot of my tasks
coming from reading mail. I know that some people use Emacs to read
their mails.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to setup things correctly.

I want:
- Emacs to read Mail from 3 different IMAP-Mailservers
- use orgmode to link to mail-messages, create task etc.
- really offtopic: gnupg-support for emacs/org-mode
- I'm running Win2K

Any help would be great.

regards from berlin / germany

P hil

* Re: maybe Offtopic: Emacs + Org + ?? to read Email (IMAP) on Win2K
@ 2006-05-19 20:45 ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-05-19 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Philipp Raschdorff <p.raschdorff@macnews.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've read this list from the beginning and I'm amazed how fast org-mode
> is evolving - thanks!
>
> I hope my question maybe offtopic :-o
>
> I would like to use Emacs to read my Emails, since a lot of my tasks
> coming from reading mail. I know that some people use Emacs to read
> their mails.
>
> Unfortunately I wasn't able to setup things correctly.
>
> I want:
> - Emacs to read Mail from 3 different IMAP-Mailservers
> - use orgmode to link to mail-messages, create task etc.
> - really offtopic: gnupg-support for emacs/org-mode
> - I'm running Win2K
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> regards from berlin / germany
>
> P hil

Have a look at gnus
http://my.gnus.org

--
Leon

* Re: maybe Offtopic: Emacs + Org + ?? to read Email (IMAP) on Win2K
@ 2006-05-19 20:45 ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2006-05-19 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 09:46:15PM +0200, Philipp Raschdorff wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've read this list from the beginning and I'm amazed how fast org-mode
> is evolving - thanks!
>
> I hope my question maybe offtopic :-o
>
> I would like to use Emacs to read my Emails, since a lot of my tasks
> coming from reading mail. I know that some people use Emacs to read
> their mails.
>
> Unfortunately I wasn't able to setup things correctly.
>
> I want:
> - Emacs to read Mail from 3 different IMAP-Mailservers
> - use orgmode to link to mail-messages, create task etc.
> - really offtopic: gnupg-support for emacs/org-mode
> - I'm running Win2K
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> regards from berlin / germany
>
> P hil

I use Xemacs on win2k. At the moment, i use muttng & msmtp under
cygwin. I tried using Xemacs, as a mail reader but gave up. VM got to
slow, Wanderlust & Mew are documented in Japanese, and Gnus is so
feature packed it looked like it would take weeks to set up let alone
find out how to use.

I'd be interested in finding out how other people are using emacs
as a mail client, and if it is worth doing.

Tim.

* Re: maybe Offtopic: Emacs + Org + ?? to read Email (IMAP) on Win2K
@ 2006-05-19 21:59   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-05-19 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: zedek

Le vendredi 19 mai 2006 à 22:45 +0200, Tim O'Callaghan a écrit :

> I'd be interested in finding out how other people are using emacs
> as a mail client, and if it is worth doing.

I personnally use rmail (M-x rmail) which is really simple to use.
I, by the past, was using gnus but I wanted something lighter.

Xavier

* Re: maybe Offtopic: Emacs + Org + ?? to read Email (IMAP) on Win2K
@ 2006-05-19 22:17   ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-05-19 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Tim O'Callaghan <timo@dspsrv.com> writes:

> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 09:46:15PM +0200, Philipp Raschdorff wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've read this list from the beginning and I'm amazed how fast org-mode
>> is evolving - thanks!
>>
>> I hope my question maybe offtopic :-o
>>
>> I would like to use Emacs to read my Emails, since a lot of my tasks
>> coming from reading mail. I know that some people use Emacs to read
>> their mails.
>>
>> Unfortunately I wasn't able to setup things correctly.
>>
>> I want:
>> - Emacs to read Mail from 3 different IMAP-Mailservers
>> - use orgmode to link to mail-messages, create task etc.
>> - really offtopic: gnupg-support for emacs/org-mode
>> - I'm running Win2K
>>
>> Any help would be great.
>>
>> regards from berlin / germany
>>
>> P hil
>>

> I use Xemacs on win2k. At the moment, i use muttng & msmtp under
> cygwin. I tried using Xemacs, as a mail reader but gave up. VM got to
> slow, Wanderlust & Mew are documented in Japanese, and Gnus is so
> feature packed it looked like it would take weeks to set up let alone
> find out how to use.

That's why I point you to my.gnus.org. The tutorial is by far the best
out there. I start using gnus after reading the tutorial. I'm happy
that I have used gnus earlier rather than later:-)

--
Leon

* Re: Re: maybe Offtopic: Emacs + Org + ?? to read Email (IMAP) on Win2K
@ 2006-05-19 23:16     ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2006-05-19 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 11:17:45PM +0100, Leon wrote:
> Tim O'Callaghan <timo@dspsrv.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 09:46:15PM +0200, Philipp Raschdorff wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I've read this list from the beginning and I'm amazed how fast org-mode
> >> is evolving - thanks!
> >>
> >> I hope my question maybe offtopic :-o
> >>
> >> I would like to use Emacs to read my Emails, since a lot of my tasks
> >> coming from reading mail. I know that some people use Emacs to read
> >> their mails.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately I wasn't able to setup things correctly.
> >>
> >> I want:
> >> - Emacs to read Mail from 3 different IMAP-Mailservers
> >> - use orgmode to link to mail-messages, create task etc.
> >> - really offtopic: gnupg-support for emacs/org-mode
> >> - I'm running Win2K
> >>
> >> Any help would be great.
> >>
> >> regards from berlin / germany
> >>
> >> P hil
> >>

> > I use Xemacs on win2k. At the moment, i use muttng & msmtp under
> > cygwin. I tried using Xemacs, as a mail reader but gave up. VM got to
> > slow, Wanderlust & Mew are documented in Japanese, and Gnus is so
> > feature packed it looked like it would take weeks to set up let alone
> > find out how to use.
>
> That's why I point you to my.gnus.org. The tutorial is by far the best
> out there. I start using gnus after reading the tutorial. I'm happy
> that I have used gnus earlier rather than later:-)

I looked at it last year when i was trying to rationalize my email
systems, but it didn't feel right for me. I will probably come back to
it, but i'm happy with my muttng + XEmacs as editor hybrid at the
moment.

> > I'd be interested in finding out how other people are using emacs
> > as a mail client, and if it is worth doing.
> >
> > Tim.
>
> --
> Leon

Tim.