* Column view questions
@ 2007-07-10 22:58 Daniel J. Sinder
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2007-07-10 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

PROPERTIES and column view are fantastic!  Thanks Carsten.

I already have visions of moving my address book into org.  I've set
my sights on finally learning Elisp by writing a vCard-to-org
function (and the reverse).

How well does generating column view scale for hundreds of headlines?

Have you given any thought to the possibility of exporting column
view to HTML?  As nice as column view looks in an emacs-buffer, it's
not really accessible to others (especially if they don't use
emacs/org-mode).

Dan

* Re: Column view questions
@ 2007-07-11  6:23 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-11  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 11, 2007, at 0:58, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

> I already have visions of moving my address book into org.  I've set
> my sights on finally learning Elisp by writing a vCard-to-org
> function (and the reverse).
>
> How well does generating column view scale for hundreds of headlines?

Not very well, unfortunately, it gets dog slow.  You can
keep things manageable structuring you address book into
a hierarchy and only invoking column view for a small
part of the tree.

- Carsten

* Re: Column view questions
@ 2007-07-11  6:30 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-11  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 11, 2007, at 0:58, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

> Have you given any thought to the possibility of exporting column
> view to HTML?  As nice as column view looks in an emacs-buffer, it's
> not really accessible to others (especially if they don't use
> emacs/org-mode).

No, not yet.  What would be useful?

- Carsten

* Re: Column view questions
@ 2007-07-11 17:49   ` Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2007-07-11 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 07/10/2007 11:30 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2007, at 0:58, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:
>>
>> Have you given any thought to the possibility of exporting column
>> view to HTML?  As nice as column view looks in an emacs-buffer, it's
>> not really accessible to others (especially if they don't use
>> emacs/org-mode).
>
> No, not yet.  What would be useful?

One of two possibilities:
(1) Something similar to the export mechanism available for agendas
-- i.e., use htmlize on 'C-x C-w'.  Because column view is an
overlay, this may be harder than I imagine.

(2) An export mechanism that would generate a "pretty" HTML table
(to look like Scott's omni outliner example) starting from the
current heading.

Column view is too new for me to have a good usage scenario at this
point.  However one think I've thought of is using it to maintain
and publish a "points-of-contact" list for my group at work.

Dan

* Re: Column view questions
@ 2007-07-11 19:42 ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-07-11 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Daniel J. Sinder" <djsinder@gmail.com> writes:

> PROPERTIES and column view are fantastic!  Thanks Carsten.
>
> I already have visions of moving my address book into org.  I've set
> my sights on finally learning Elisp by writing a vCard-to-org
> function (and the reverse).
>
> How well does generating column view scale for hundreds of headlines?

You'd be better off moving your address book into bbdb (no need to
abuse org for the purpose when there's already a perfectly good emacs
tool for the purpose).  We really need a good vCard-to-bbdb (and the
reverse) converter, though.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Column view questions
@ 2007-07-11 22:06   ` Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2007-07-11 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for this suggestion.  I don't use emacs for mail, I've never
used bbdb, and I'm already quite familiar with org-mode.  Seeing as
bbdb lacks the same functionality that I need for org (namely, the
vCard importer) I don't see a big benefit (for me) in going to bbdb.

That said, it would be helpful to see a screenshot of browsing an
address book with bbdb.  Can something like org's column view be
achieved?  Assuming you're already familiar with bbdb, have it
installed, etc., would it be difficult to send me or post an image
with some mocked up contacts?  I didn't see anything like this on
the project page.

Thanks,
Dan

On 07/11/2007 12:42 PM, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
> "Daniel J. Sinder" <djsinder@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> PROPERTIES and column view are fantastic!  Thanks Carsten.
>>
>> I already have visions of moving my address book into org.  I've set
>> my sights on finally learning Elisp by writing a vCard-to-org
>> function (and the reverse).
>>
>> How well does generating column view scale for hundreds of headlines?
>
> You'd be better off moving your address book into bbdb (no need to
> abuse org for the purpose when there's already a perfectly good emacs
> tool for the purpose).  We really need a good vCard-to-bbdb (and the
> reverse) converter, though.

* Re: Column view questions
@ 2007-07-11 22:34     ` Jose E. Marchesi
From: Jose E. Marchesi @ 2007-07-11 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    Thanks for this suggestion.  I don't use emacs for mail, I've never
    used bbdb, and I'm already quite familiar with org-mode.  Seeing as
    bbdb lacks the same functionality that I need for org (namely, the
    vCard importer) I don't see a big benefit (for me) in going to bbdb.

I am working in a replacement for bbdb that natively uses vcard data
to store contacts.

http://www.nongnu.org/addressbook/

--
José E. Marchesi  <jemarch@gnu.org>

GNU Project       http://www.gnu.org
GNU Spain         http://es.gnu.org

* Re: Column view questions
@ 2007-07-12  2:02     ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2007-07-12  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Daniel J. Sinder" <djsinder@gmail.com> writes:

> Seeing as bbdb lacks the same functionality that I need for org
> (namely, the vCard importer) I don't see a big benefit (for me) in
> going to bbdb.

You can import vcard into bbdb:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/BbdbImporters#toc3

> Can something like org's column view be achieved?

No at present. However, there is a view where each entry is on a single
line.

Charles

--
"Besides, I think [Slackware] sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?"
(By Patrick Volkerding)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Column view questions
@ 2007-07-12 15:34       ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-07-12 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles philip Chan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Charles philip Chan" <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> "Daniel J. Sinder" <djsinder@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Seeing as bbdb lacks the same functionality that I need for org
>> (namely, the vCard importer) I don't see a big benefit (for me) in
>> going to bbdb.
>
> You can import vcard into bbdb:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/BbdbImporters#toc3

The importers on emacswiki don't work reliably, unfortunately (last
time I checked).

@ 2007-07-16  7:36     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-16  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 11, 2007, at 19:49, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

> On 07/10/2007 11:30 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 11, 2007, at 0:58, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you given any thought to the possibility of exporting column
>>> view to HTML?  As nice as column view looks in an emacs-buffer, it's
>>> not really accessible to others (especially if they don't use
>>> emacs/org-mode).
>>
>> No, not yet.  What would be useful?
>
> One of two possibilities:
> (1) Something similar to the export mechanism available for agendas
> -- i.e., use htmlize on 'C-x C-w'.  Because column view is an
> overlay, this may be harder than I imagine.

I guess this should be done in htmlize.el and in ps-print.el, to make
sure they use any display txt-properties in the file.

> (2) An export mechanism that would generate a "pretty" HTML table
> (to look like Scott's omni outliner example) starting from the
> current heading.

Yes.  Is there an easy way to create HTML that allows outline folding?
Would be nice for this application.

- Carsten

* RE: Column view questions
@ 2007-07-16  9:21       ` Egli Christian (KIRO 41)
From: Egli Christian (KIRO 41) @ 2007-07-16  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi all

> Yes.  Is there an easy way to create HTML that allows outline folding?
> Would be nice for this application.

Do you mean something along the line of
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/PublicMaps-exported.html?

Christian

* Re: Column view questions
@ 2007-07-16 10:50         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-16 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Egli Christian (KIRO 41); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 16, 2007, at 11:21, Egli Christian (KIRO 41) wrote:

> Hi all
>
>> Yes.  Is there an easy way to create HTML that allows outline folding?
>> Would be nice for this application.
>
> Do you mean something along the line of
> http://freemind.sourceforge.net/PublicMaps-exported.html?

This is beautiful. One day, when I weak up and find out that
I have nothing to do...  :-)

Thanks for the link!

- Carsten

* Re: Column view questions
@ 2007-08-09 15:08         ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2007-08-09 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Egli Christian (KIRO 41); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

"Egli Christian (KIRO 41)" <christian.egli@credit-suisse.com> writes:

>> Yes. Is there an easy way to create HTML that allows outline folding?
>> Would be nice for this application.
>
> Do you mean something along the line of
> http://freemind.sourceforge.net/PublicMaps-exported.html?

I just stumble on this:

  http://tinyurl.com/28x5nw - "New elements in HTML 5"

It seems that HTML 5 will support new elements like
article/section/nav/time, etc.  I let you check on the
page, but it sounds like pretty exciting, especially for
structured content like the one Org-mode produces!

Best,

--
Bastien