From: "Christopher Causer" <ml-emacs-orgmode@chyc.co.uk>
To: orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: clock-table and hooking that into org-capture file+olp+datetree
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 22:40:22 +0000	[thread overview]

Thanks again Richard. I now have a working solution which I share below, warts and all.

One snag I hit that I feel I should mention is what I believe to be a mistake in the documentation[1]. I was scratching my head as why org-clocktable-defaults wasn't working, but it was only when I brought up the inline documentation that I see that this probably is some vestigial variableand it has since moved to org-clock-clocktable-default-properties. Is mentioning this here on the list enough or should I report it somewhere else?

Christopher

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun org-date-to-list ()
  "Run `org-read-date' and return it in the form '(mm dd YYYY).

This form is more useful for functions that require it in
this format, such as `org-datetree-find-date-create'."

  (let* ((date-string (org-read-date))
	 (year (substring date-string 0 4))
	 (month (substring date-string 5 7))
	 (day (substring date-string 8 10)))
    (mapcar 'string-to-number (list month day year))))

(defun org-update-clocktable-on-date (date)
  (let* ((year (number-to-string (nth 2 date)))
	 (month (number-to-string (nth 0 date)))
	 (day (number-to-string (nth 1 date)))
	 (org-clock-clocktable-default-properties
	  (list :scope 'agenda :maxlevel 6 :block (concat year "-" month "-" day))))
	 (save-excursion
	   ;; open the file containing the datetree:
	   (find-file (concat org-directory "/diary.org"))
	   ;; jump to the subtree for the given date:
	   ;; note: date must look like (m d y) where all three values are integers
	   (org-datetree-find-date-create date)
	   ;; narrow to the subtree for this date, so we don't update
	   ;; any other clocktables
	   (org-narrow-to-subtree)
	   ;; update the clock report, or create it if it doesn't exist
	   ;; note: we pass a prefix argument to tell org-clock-report to
	   ;; update the first clocktable it finds in the (narrowed) buffer
	   (org-clock-report t)
	   ;; widen to the whole buffer again
	   (widen))))

;; Usage
; (org-update-clocktable-on-date (org-date-to-list))
#+END_SRC

[1] Variable org-clocktable-defaults is mentioned here https://orgmode.org/manual/The-clock-table.html