* Updating Worg: call to Worg authors
@ 2013-04-23 20:57 Jay Kerns
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-04-23 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello there,

I started some work on this and pushed a worg-new-exporter branch to
Worg.  I followed Carsten's advice which I will repeat here for
convenience:

Given an existing Worg repository obtained by

$ git clone worg@orgmode.org:worg.git

Everybody else can hook onto this branch with

$ git checkout --track -b worg-new-exporter origin/worg-new-exporter

and then work in this branch and push it whenever they want.  Note you
will need commit access to the worg repository at orgmode.org; see
here for more info:

http://orgmode.org/worg/worg-git.html

After checking out the worg-new-exporter branch you will find a file

worgmap.org

in the root of the repository.  This file has headlines for every
single file/directory on Worg current as of last night some
time. Worgmap.org has TODO entries so we can keep track of what is
DONE, what is TODO, what is INPROGRESS, etc. We can also add AUTHOR
properties, etc, to help the update proceed smoothly.

CALL TO WORG AUTHORS:

- Please checkout the worg-new-exporter branch and update those files
  which are yours.
- Please mark DONE or INPROGRESS files in worgmap.org.
- If you cannot or are not able to update your files, please say so on
  the mailing list so other volunteers can update them instead.
  Alternatively, you can mark your files as ABANDONED in worgmap.org.

If you know of ways to streamline this update process, please feel
free to speak up and/or move forward with it immediately.  There are
~700 files on Worg to be checked, so we have a nontrivial job ahead
of us.

Thanks to John Hendy for some offlist brainstorming and advice - I
think worgmap.org is much better as a result.

--
Jay

P.S. I did a once-over to mark obvious things like *.png, *.pdf,
etc. as DONE.  I tried to be sparing to avoid false positives, though
I could have made some mistakes. Please fix any errors you find.

P.P.S. I inadvertently deleted a few directory names from the list when
I first started work.  This should be harmless, but if you notice
something missing feel free to add it back for completeness.

* Re: Updating Worg: call to Worg authors
@ 2013-04-24  7:25 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-24  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 04:57:20PM -0400, Jay Kerns wrote:

[...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

> CALL TO WORG AUTHORS:
>
> - Please checkout the worg-new-exporter branch and update those files
>   which are yours.
> - Please mark DONE or INPROGRESS files in worgmap.org.
> - If you cannot or are not able to update your files, please say so on
>   the mailing list so other volunteers can update them instead.
>   Alternatively, you can mark your files as ABANDONED in worgmap.org.

I'm not clear about the workflow.  Why is there a need for a separate
branch?  I thought there was already a consensus to document the new
exporter under exporters/ox-<backend>.org or exporters/<exporter>/*.org
depending on whether a single file is sufficient or a directory is
needed for examples and other stuff.  How does this new plan go with the
above, do I make changes in this new branch, or do I keep working on
master?

Suvayu

* Re: Updating Worg: call to Worg authors
@ 2013-04-24  7:44   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-24  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not clear about the workflow.  Why is there a need for a separate
> branch?  I thought there was already a consensus to document the new
> exporter under exporters/ox-<backend>.org or exporters/<exporter>/*.org
> depending on whether a single file is sufficient or a directory is
> needed for examples and other stuff.  How does this new plan go with the
> above, do I make changes in this new branch, or do I keep working on
> master?

There are two different things:

- the exporters/ directory in Worg is for documenting how the new
  export engine and each exporter work

- the new public branch is for updating Worg's pages so that the new
  exporter can publish them correctly (e.g., change the syntax of the
  #+attr_html lines, etc.)

For adding new content to Worg (and for adding documentation to
exporters/), just use Worg's master branch, as usual.

For fixing the syntax of existing pages, go on the dedicated branch
and do the fixes.  We will merge this branch into master when it
publishes fine with Org 8.0.

Hope this clarifies!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Updating Worg: call to Worg authors
@ 2013-04-24  7:52     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-24  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 09:44:32AM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'm not clear about the workflow.  Why is there a need for a separate
> > branch?  I thought there was already a consensus to document the new
> > exporter under exporters/ox-<backend>.org or exporters/<exporter>/*.org
> > depending on whether a single file is sufficient or a directory is
> > needed for examples and other stuff.  How does this new plan go with the
> > above, do I make changes in this new branch, or do I keep working on
> > master?
>
> There are two different things:
>
> - the exporters/ directory in Worg is for documenting how the new
>   export engine and each exporter work
>
> - the new public branch is for updating Worg's pages so that the new
>   exporter can publish them correctly (e.g., change the syntax of the
>   #+attr_html lines, etc.)
>
> For adding new content to Worg (and for adding documentation to
> exporters/), just use Worg's master branch, as usual.
>
> For fixing the syntax of existing pages, go on the dedicated branch
> and do the fixes.  We will merge this branch into master when it
> publishes fine with Org 8.0.

That clears it up :).

Suvayu

* Re: Updating Worg: call to Worg authors
@ 2013-04-24  7:53 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-04-24  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Kerns; +Cc: Org Mode List

On 23.4.2013, at 22:57, Jay Kerns <gjkernsysu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I started some work on this and pushed a worg-new-exporter branch to
> Worg.  I followed Carsten's advice which I will repeat here for
> convenience:

Hi Jay,

thank you and John for getting this started.

- Carsten

@ 2013-04-24  9:25 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-24  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jay Kerns <gjkernsysu@gmail.com> writes:

> CALL TO WORG AUTHORS:
>
> - Please checkout the worg-new-exporter branch and update those files
>   which are yours.
> - Please mark DONE or INPROGRESS files in worgmap.org.
> - If you cannot or are not able to update your files, please say so on
>   the mailing list so other volunteers can update them instead.
>   Alternatively, you can mark your files as ABANDONED in worgmap.org.
>

> If you know of ways to streamline this update process, please feel
> free to speak up and/or move forward with it immediately.  There are
> ~700 files on Worg to be checked, so we have a nontrivial job ahead
> of us.

when deleting toc:2 from the #+OPTIONS and adding '#+TOC headlines 2'

,------------------------------------------------------------------
|            LaTeX:t skip:nil d:(HIDE) tags:not-in-toc
| #+TOC: headlines 2
`------------------------------------------------------------------

the TOC is exported twice (HTML). Shall I neverthelss do this change in
my Worg files, because this is only and exporter bug and will be fixed
later?

,----------------------------------------------------------------------

`----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Updating Worg: call to Worg authors
@ 2013-04-25 23:18   ` Jay Kerns
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-04-25 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Greetings,

First: thanks to Nicholas Goaziou and Thorsten Jolitz. There is
a bunch of work already completed - indeed, out of the 83
currently existing headlines, 63 are marked DONE.

But there is a lot of updating that remains.  And the longer the
process continues, the further the two branches will diverge so all
the more difficult the eventual merge of the two branches will be.

Moving forward, I would like to start marking *.org files DONE if they
export cleanly on my machine with no change. To this end, it occurred
to me that just because a file exports cleanly on *my* machine doesn't
necessarily mean that it would be OK on Worg. (This occurred to me
when I noticed Babel code evaluating during export, something not
permitted on Worg).

For testing purposes, we should be using a minimal config, consistent
with the one on Worg, right? This let me to here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/sources/emacs.el

Though that one, of course, has a bunch of extra stuff which isn't
relevant for the time being (publishing, etc.). In addition, that one
is not necessarily compatible with Org 8.0 and the new exporter.

I've made a first stab at a minimal init file, copy-pasted below. I've
also put a soft copy called

worgtest-init.el

which lives right beside worgmap.org in the top-level of the
worg-new-exporter branch. It would seem that the new asynchronous
export would make it relatively easy to test files uniformly and
minimally for Org 8.0 by doing something like

$ emacs -Q -l "~/git/worg/worgtest-init.el"

and testing from there.

Here are my questions:

1. Is this overkill?
2. Is there something extra/missing in worgtest-init.el?
3. Anything I should be asking but amn't?

--
Jay

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(custom-set-variables
 '(org-modules (quote (org-jsinfo)))
 '(safe-local-variable-values
   (quote ((org-tags-column . -80)
	   (org-export-html-style . "<link rel=\"stylesheet\"
type=\"text/css\" href=\"stylesheet.css\" />")
	   (org-export-html-style-extra . "<link rel=stylesheet
href=\"org-faq.css\" type=\"text/css\"> <style type=\"text/css\">
	   (org-export-html-style . "<link rel=stylesheet
href=\"freeshell2.css\" type=\"text/css\"> <style type=\"text/css\">
.tag { color: red; font-weight:bold}</style>")))))

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/git/org-mode/lisp/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/git/org-mode/contrib/lisp/")

(show-paren-mode 1)
(menu-bar-mode 0)

(require 'org)
(require 'htmlize)

(setq org-export-in-background t)
(setq org-export-async-init-file "~/git/worg/worgtest-init.el")
(setq org-export-async-debug t)

(setq org-export-default-language "en"
      org-export-html-extension "html"
      org-export-with-timestamps nil
      org-export-with-section-numbers nil
      org-export-with-tags 'not-in-toc
      org-export-skip-text-before-1st-heading nil
      org-export-with-sub-superscripts '{}
      org-export-with-LaTeX-fragments t
      org-export-with-archived-trees nil
      org-export-highlight-first-table-line t
      org-export-html-style-include-default nil
      org-export-htmlize-output-type 'css
      org-startup-folded nil
      org-export-allow-BIND t
      org-export-babel-evaluate nil
      org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
#+END_SRC

* Re: Updating Worg: call to Worg authors
@ 2013-04-25 23:26     ` Jay Kerns
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-04-25 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Jay Kerns <gjkernsysu@gmail.com> wrote:

> First: thanks to Nicholas Goaziou and Thorsten Jolitz. There is

That should have been "Nicolas"; I apologize.

Jay