* longlines, wrap, auto-fill
@ 2009-08-27 19:58 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-08-27 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I recently switched to Org-Mode---haven't used it in three years as I
had wanted to get back to the simplicity of Outline Mode.  Now I think I
know how to keep it simple in Org-Mode

Anyway, something that bugs me is that when I hit <SPC> or <RET>,
auto-fill is effected but I'm left out in columns in the middle of the
text as opposed to column 0 at the left edge of my emacs window.  Is
this a longlines versus wrap thing---pardon my ignorance on this, I did
however look through the Org manual---and I need to put something in my
dotemacs?

The use of Org- instead of Outline-Mode is costing me an extra C-a,
right?

* Re: longlines, wrap, auto-fill
@ 2009-08-28  7:26 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-28  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 27, 2009, at 9:58 PM, Sean Sieger wrote:

> I recently switched to Org-Mode---haven't used it in three years as I
> had wanted to get back to the simplicity of Outline Mode.  Now I
> think I
> know how to keep it simple in Org-Mode
>
> Anyway, something that bugs me is that when I hit <SPC> or <RET>,
> auto-fill is effected but I'm left out in columns in the middle of the
> text as opposed to column 0 at the left edge of my emacs window.  Is
> this a longlines versus wrap thing---pardon my ignorance on this, I
> did
> however look through the Org manual---and I need to put something in
> my
> dotemacs?

Hi Sean,

the reason why this happens is that Org uses

    (setq truncate-lines t)

in order to keep tables and source code in the buffer
in a shape nice to look at.  If you type a long word near the
right boundary of the window, Emacs in this case needs to scroll
to keep visible what you type, and unfortunately it does not scroll
back when the word wrapping happens.

Here is how you can deasl with this (different options)

1. Use a wider Emacs window or a smaller value for fill-column.
    Then the word you are typing will generally fit into the window
    without scrolling.

or

2. Use

    (setq org-startup-truncated nil)

    It is the useful to make yourself a function key to toggle
    the truncate-lines setting, so that you can turn it on when
    working in tables.

HTH

- Carsten

> The use of Org- instead of Outline-Mode is costing me an extra C-a,
> right?

* Re: longlines, wrap, auto-fill
@ 2009-08-28 17:47   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-08-28 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    HTH

    - Carsten

I certainly does help; thank you for your time, Carsten.